Looking for build opinions before ordering

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hello everyone,

First of all I live in the great white north, and so all prices are in CAD (which is the same as USD nowadays, but prices here are still higher...sigh...)

Here is the gaming build I'm thinking of ordering:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4: 167.99
CASE: CM 690: 79.99
PSU: Corsair 750TX: 119.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (Cas 7): 123.49
MOBO: GB 770TA-UD3: 97.99
GPU: Sapphire 5970: 646.99 (local store)

Total with S&H + Tax = 1406.98$

Let me know of anything that is more than I need, too crappy, too expensive, or just a bad idea!

P.S: Anything not listed is not needed (i.e OS, HDD,...)

Thanks!

Solution
AND ... BTW ...

We DO have an OC FORUM ... just down the hall ... I certainly do plan to drop in there, once I pull the lever on MY next build.

They have reams of informative sticky-threads (how to OC guides) and a gaggle of experts, over there ...

... I expect to have read all their stickys and suggested reading BEFORE I build my rig ...

We have our own stickys right here, at the top of THIS page and you would do WELL to read them ALL (especially the "PERFORM THESE STEPS BEFORE POSTING about NO BOOT") ... It can save you weeks of headaches, when you DO build.

Read this BEFORE AND DURING YOUR BUILD : (so you won't need to later)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

= Al =
Don't forget to look for combo deals. Here's one for your CPU and motherboard that saves $16.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.381933

Your 750W PSU is massive overkill since you can only run a single GPU on that motherboard. A quality 550W PSU would easily power the system.

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W $99.99 - $10 MIR

I hope you're not planning on using an existing HD and OS installation on the new system. You can rarely move a HD from one system to another without a fresh install of the OS, especially if you want a stable system. A new HD would be a good investment since even drives from a year or two ago are considerably slower than the current 500GB/platter drives. $56 is money well spent to not have an old drive make the whole system feel sluggish.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $55.99

It's a good looking build otherwise. Nice job!

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

@Alvin: If I don't plan on OC is it still a good idea to get a different CPU cooler (of course assuming one comes with it...) I got an optical drive (I use as external atm) that I'll just throw in.

@shortstuff: Oh wow! Thats exactly the two parts I'm looking for :O How did I not see that! Thanks a bunch! Is the 750W really overkill? That is a 5970 I listed (which is basically two GPUs unless I'm mistaking). I though it took a little over 300W worst case and the 750W gave me enough per rail for that (or something like that...).

No I am most definitely not going to use an existing OS install!! I reformat my computers every 6-12 months, and would never dream of plaguing my brand new system with an old install! I have an external HDD (Seagate 750GB, 7200rpm) that I plan on putting in the for the moment. I may upgrade it in the near future but I just want to get something up and running.

1. It is better to stick with 750W for HD5970. Who knows you'll be X-firing next year or the year after.
2. Proc fan is not important if you don't OC.
3. Formatting and fresh installation every 6 months is a hell of a work...I do it only once a year.
4. Care to try a SSD? :D

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
1. Alright, sounds good
2. Ok, I'll skip it for now.
3. Haha, ya but i currently have 2 laptops with 100GB HDDs so its not much to backup. I do it between semesters to keep things running smoothly. Its more an OCD thing than a real need!
4. YA that'd be awesome! ...little too much $$ for now though!

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well, if you are POSITIVE that you are NOT going to OC ...

... Then, You SHOULD get a 965BE and use the stock cooler (3.4GHz) ...

BUT, only the MOST TIMID would not try a MILD or a MODERATE OC ... Too easy and so much to gain ... no harm to CPU (now or later).

These days, there are many more built in aides and protections ... The new BIOS makes it much more simple and you can monitor temps very easily ... there are even features that will cause CPU to throttle down or shut down when overheated.

*I* would go for the 955/Hyper-212+ option as you can "turn it into a 965" in about a minute and the better cooler WILL protect and extend the life of your system ...

... I have also heard the stock coolers can be loud ... anyone else?

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
AND ... BTW ...

We DO have an OC FORUM ... just down the hall ... I certainly do plan to drop in there, once I pull the lever on MY next build.

They have reams of informative sticky-threads (how to OC guides) and a gaggle of experts, over there ...

... I expect to have read all their stickys and suggested reading BEFORE I build my rig ...

We have our own stickys right here, at the top of THIS page and you would do WELL to read them ALL (especially the "PERFORM THESE STEPS BEFORE POSTING about NO BOOT") ... It can save you weeks of headaches, when you DO build.

Read this BEFORE AND DURING YOUR BUILD : (so you won't need to later)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

= Al =

Solution