hitec16

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hello,
i m planning to buy a MSI 890GXM-G65 mobo along with amd 1055t procyy.
i want to knw something abt the RAM. i dont know how 4 slot rams work . what i m planning to do now is buying corsair 2x2GB corsair 1600Mhz RAM so that means i will install those ram in same colour slot and it will work in dual channel. but then if in future i try to put 2x4GB 1333Mhz RAM of some other brand like kingston etc. then those two ram will work in dual channel as well but will it make my system unstable coz i m using rams of different brand size and speed?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you mix RAM, they will work togther at the least common denomintor level of performance. In your example, at 1333. That being said, populating all 4 slots will likely force you to operate at 1333 anyway.

Because the performance difference between 1333 and 1600 is so small anyway (and I never recommend OCing memory which to use your 1600 at its rated speed you would have to do), I recommend you buy 1333 and save a couple of bucks.

Good luck!

hitec16

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

thx man :) i saved some bucks too
just made my new PC with amd x6 1055t and this motherboard with 2x2GB ram :)
hey how do i know they are running in dual channel mode ?? do i have to enable something in BIOS or it is auto ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You don't have to do anything to enable. You can download and install CPU-Z or speccy (links below) and they will tell you -or- you can watch as your system boots and see it indicated by the BIOS splash screen (usually). As long as you put the memory into the matching slots on the mobo, you are good to go.

Speccy:
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

CPU-Z:
www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html