Sign in with
Your question

New computer build problem

Last response: in Systems
April 27, 2010 10:03:40 PM

So I have recently built this computer, and I am having issues with booting it up. It varies on how long it stays on for. It can be for 5 seconds, or just long enough for me to get to the BIOS screen before shutting down. I'm down to just the MB, RAM, PCU, and the pcu fan, yet I keep having this issue. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

MB:A785GMH/128M
PCU: Phenom 9850 x4
PCU fan: 92mm core contact
PSU: Coolmax 700w
RAM: Patriot (2) 2gb
Video: Radeon HD 4650 (1g)
HD: 1Tb (I believe Hitachi)

All of the memory is ddr2 800, which the motherboard is compatible with.
I have searched for awhile for any help, but nothing yet.

More about : computer build problem

a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2010 10:33:40 PM

You haven't really given us enough information to help you. Where did you get these components? I'm assuming they're used since they're all out of date. What are your CPU temps showing in the BIOS? Is the fan on the heatsink spinning? Which exact Patriot RAM kit do you have?

Your problem could also be your POS Coolmax PSU. There's a very good reason why people on these forums feel very strongly about not going cheap on the power supply. A low-end PSU will cause all sorts of stability issues.

Here's a checklist to help you troubleshoot the problem:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
April 27, 2010 10:55:31 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
You haven't really given us enough information to help you. Where did you get these components? I'm assuming they're used since they're all out of date. What are your CPU temps showing in the BIOS? Is the fan on the heatsink spinning? Which exact Patriot RAM kit do you have?

Your problem could also be your POS Coolmax PSU. There's a very good reason why people on these forums feel very strongly about not going cheap on the power supply. A low-end PSU will cause all sorts of stability issues.

Here's a checklist to help you troubleshoot the problem:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I bought them all from newegg, and who cares if it's not all "up to date"? I was building a computer not meant for top of the line gaming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - for the RAM
And I said it's lasted long enough to get to the BIOS, then shut down. So I didn't get a chance to read anything like that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - for the PSU
I'm sorry, I didn't catch the memo that out of all of the brands, coolmax just happened to suck? Make sure to include me when you send out emails next time.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2010 10:59:06 PM

My point was that you could have built a much better system for the money if you had asked for help in the first place. The original Phenom chips were never a good option, even when they were originally released a long time ago. That build's like a flash back to a couple years ago. Computer hardware has advanced a LOT in that time. I guess it's too late to return the hardware, so just go through the entire checklist I posted and let us know how it goes. It sounds like an overheating problem to me.
April 27, 2010 11:08:02 PM

I went through the entire checklist, with no luck. Could I get an overheating issue within 15 seconds of the computer being on? The heatsink/fan that's on the cpu seems to be doing the job just fine. the power supply does seem like it could be a possibility. I unplug the computer, wait awhile, turn it on, and it makes it to the bios before shutting down. And every time I try to reboot it after that without waiting for awhile, the time it takes before it turns off gets shorter.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2010 2:06:03 AM

What you're describing sounds like a classic overheating problem. Yes, the CPU can most certainly overheat in 15 seconds. It only takes a matter of seconds for a CPU to reach dangerous temps with an improperly installed HSF.
April 28, 2010 1:56:12 PM

I took the heatsink off, and cleaned it as well as the CPU. I left it off because I figured it was the PSU like you said. That's what I originally thought was the problem, but I thought it wasn't enough time to do anything. I'll reinstall it later, any recommendations on how much paste to use?
And thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 28, 2010 2:22:01 PM

The checklist I linked to above has two links with instructions on how to install thermal paste as well as a YouTube video in step 11.
April 28, 2010 7:56:38 PM

Alright, thank you. Seeing as it isn't my computer, I am just building it, I won't be able to get to it for possibly a few days. But I will update as soon as I can.
May 3, 2010 8:14:32 PM

So I tried again, with no luck. I am at a complete loss here. If anybody has any ideas, please feel free to leave them.
!