Is my PSU failing?

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hey guys,

Before anyone asks no i havent checked the voltages but yes i am an electrician. :bang head Electronic circuitry is a little different than what i'm used to so before i go digging in my pc i wanted to ask about the problems i'm having.

My specs:
Intel i7 920 D0 stepping
Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Vapor-x
Asus Rampage II extreme
OCZ 2Gx3gb OCZ3P1600LV6GK
Corsair TX 850W
Samsung HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502H
Scythe Mugen II w/2x Sanyo Denki San Ace <--Love these

I've been having random restarts and bsod's since i built the pc. The most common bsods are Memory Management, IRQL not Less or Equal, and Pagefault in Nonpaged Area. Now after each restart i notice during post the mem only shows 4gb instead of 6gb and the BSOD's usually occur right after windows loads. I usually have to restart multiple times before my PC stabalizes and doesnt crash. To fix the problem i have RMA'd the cpu 3x, the mobo once, and the vid card once (hence how i got the vapor-x). The first CPU i RMA'd was a 920 d0 and the random bsod's caused me to think it was the memory controller, the second one i recieved never caused bsod's and it was a c0 stepping..i RMA'd it for another reason. Now i'm on my third processor..this one being d0 stepping and i'm having the same problems as the first..kinda. This processor will stay stable after a few attempts to load windows the other one was completely unstable. I know its a mouthful but i've been having this problem since last October when i built the darn thing and hopefully i've given you enough info to help me figure it out..Now my question is..is the problem the PSU or the CPU again?

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I totally forgot to put all of the tests i have accomplished but i've done hundreds, maybe even thousands of Prime95, coredmg, OCCT, and Memtest tests. What i find weird is how the problem with this processor is similar to the first. When i first called to RMA the mob the tech guy asked if i had replaced the processor, then he told me iwth the 920s a bad mem controller was extremely common, hence y i figured the controller was bad. The c0 processor was fine really but i was getting too high of temps so i RMA'd it..i find it weird both d0s keep giving me memory problems. Oh and memtest & prime95 run fine when there is only 1 stick installed...when dual or triple channel is used it almost always fails.