Almost ready , wondering about UPS

Dallygirl

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Pretty much from now until anytime . BUDGET RANGE: $150.00/$300.00 Before / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies,music,many other programs.A.D.D. muti-tasking :D

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, Case, RAM, Heatsink, PSU, MOBO,HDD, have everything..)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (e.g.: newegg.com,directcanada.ca,Futureshop,Bestbuy,Staples- COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Alberta,Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type Open for brain storming

OVERCLOCKING: Yes a bit SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe eventually

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would just like a few smart people to brain storm ?

So I figured it had been a few days since I last bothered everyone ( spent it drooling over new parts and the HAF 932 )
And while sitting there I realized I saw the lights flicker..I dont have UPS. Mind you I have a fairly good surge protector but with the amount of money soaked into my Dragon Juicer ( yes I named it /sigh ) I figured it was time to look into getting some better protection.

Well I have gone over alot of websites and realized I have a PSU that has an active PFC now I read so much im confused lol
Is it true that it is not a good idea to run a PFC active PSU with a Simulated Sine wave UPS ?
If this is the case then what options do i have ?

There are so many different ones and really I am not that much of a gaming freak to need 45 min of battery power on my pc
What I do need is something that can control the way to high/way to low power that happens in this area at times.
And something that could give me even 2 min of time to shut down if I need to.

Thats where the real stinker comes into play. For just needing something so simple what size would i really need ( below is my setup )
If anyone can help out a gal , I would be in your debt !
Thanks in advance

~The Dragon Juicer 2010~

Case : HAH 932

MOBO: GA-790fxta-udf

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core

PSU :CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI - CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Video card : Sapphire 5970 OC edition

CPU Heatsink - ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler ( had it already )

Blu-Ray -Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer Model BDR-205BKS - OEM

HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM : G.skill 8 Gb

OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Monitor : LG Flatron W2452T also have second monitor ( old Samsung syncMaster 171s )

Fan Controller :Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay

Keyboard : Logitech G-19

Mouse : Razer Mamba

Speakers :Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speakers

Not sure if it matter but I also might have Duel Ethernet .
I think thats all . :pt1cable:

ammhardware

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
The online UPS are your best option, they give extremely good supply. The problem is, however, they tend to be very expensive. In my opinion the line-interactive are next best, and they tend to be pretty affordable. I had once seen a good article with diagrams and explanations, but I cannot find it now. The one on Tom's that is posted above looks quite good, though.