What is a good 2tb HDD

hockeyriley3

Honorable
May 20, 2012
what is a good 2tb hdd to go with 240gb mushkin ssd i am confused on what brand to buy and which ones are the best series for the brand, if you guys could suggest a good hdd to buy that would be much appreciated. :)

spyfish

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

I just set up a new build, and i went for a "Seagate 2TB 3.5" SATA-600 5900rpm 64MB Barracuda Green " to go along with my SSD.

Its actually faster than my old 1TB 7200 drive. Does not generate much heat, and low power.

But i would also look at Samsung drives, i have good experience with Samsung. (I will never get a Western digital again)

There should be many good options. If its for pure storage, i would look at "green models", with Sata 3. They will be faster than older Sata 2 7200 drives anyway.

you want to look at the drive warranty now..the wb line has drives with one year and drive like the black line with three years.
you want one with a 7200 rpm. when looking at the drives you want to google there part number to see if there any fireware bugs or high doa rates with the drives. a few years ago i would have said the same about wd and that they had a higher failure rate then seagte. it switched now the wd black line is beter drive then the seagate home line.

ideally you aim for 7200 rpm drives(unless you want to pay extra for high end 1tb drives or 10000rpm velociraptor drives) at the current moment, there are 2 mainstream hdd makers, seagate and western digital, since samsung(maker of the old infamous samsung spinpoint hdds) merged with seagate and hitachi merged with western digital.