Sign in with
Your question

What is a good 2tb HDD

Last response: in Storage
June 8, 2012 7:11:11 AM

what is a good 2tb hdd to go with 240gb mushkin ssd i am confused on what brand to buy and which ones are the best series for the brand, if you guys could suggest a good hdd to buy that would be much appreciated. :) 

More about : good 2tb hdd

June 8, 2012 7:29:38 AM

hockeyriley3 said:
what is a good 2tb hdd to go with 240gb mushkin ssd i am confused on what brand to buy and which ones are the best series for the brand, if you guys could suggest a good hdd to buy that would be much appreciated. :) 

I just set up a new build, and i went for a "Seagate 2TB 3.5" SATA-600 5900rpm 64MB Barracuda Green " to go along with my SSD.

Its actually faster than my old 1TB 7200 drive. Does not generate much heat, and low power.

But i would also look at Samsung drives, i have good experience with Samsung. (I will never get a Western digital again)

There should be many good options. If its for pure storage, i would look at "green models", with Sata 3. They will be faster than older Sata 2 7200 drives anyway.
June 8, 2012 7:37:09 AM

thank you i will get the seagate ive heard good things :) 
Related resources
a c 113 G Storage
June 8, 2012 7:48:16 AM

you want to look at the drive warranty now..the wb line has drives with one year and drive like the black line with three years.
you want one with a 7200 rpm. when looking at the drives you want to google there part number to see if there any fireware bugs or high doa rates with the drives. a few years ago i would have said the same about wd and that they had a higher failure rate then seagte. it switched now the wd black line is beter drive then the seagate home line.
June 8, 2012 7:56:26 AM

ok thanks i will do that tomorrow o.O
a b G Storage
June 8, 2012 8:01:57 AM

ideally you aim for 7200 rpm drives(unless you want to pay extra for high end 1tb drives or 10000rpm velociraptor drives) at the current moment, there are 2 mainstream hdd makers, seagate and western digital, since samsung(maker of the old infamous samsung spinpoint hdds) merged with seagate and hitachi merged with western digital.
!