Thief: Deadly Shadows Minimalist Project

I started playing T:DS again recently. While I installed it over a
month ago, I have been distracted by some other things - T2X among them,
and didn't get around to it.

As a huge fan of the first two games, I didn't much care for some of the
dumbed-down "X-box-isms" I saw in the T:DS demo, so I installed the
Minimalist Project package for T:DS before I went further than the
introductory mission.

I'm not sure I like what it does with the difficulty settings. It makes
ALL of them *extremely* hard, by pegging the AI sensory abilities to
"Very High," no matter the play style chosen.

The top skill level, with its requirement that one not be caught even
once, is now utterly impossible. So far I've ended up hacking,
shooting, and flash-bombing my way through two levels on "Thief" skill
setting. The Pagan Tunnels were an absolute bloodbath, and now I'm
stuck in the priest's quarters in the Hammerite cathedral. You see, he
came in while I was rooting through his stuff, and there's simply *no*
way to sneak past him such that he's none the wiser. I guess I could
knock him out, but I would prefer not to, not least because of the guard
who occasionally wanders through the area.

Yes, I wanted more intelligent AI than in the last two Thief games, with
better vision and hearing and more "common sense." But this is
ridiculous. Garrett is supposed to be a master of hiding in the
shadows, but with AI sensitivity on "Very High," he might as well be
wearing tap shoes and dressed in a fluorescent orange jumpsuit with
"THIEF" in neon across the back. I don't get it.

I tried uninstalling the Minimalist Project, and playing with the skill
set such that AI sensitivity is "only" High instead of Very High. Now
creeping seems to actually do some good, and I don't have to kill or
knock out everyone in sight.

What's your take? At this point it seems more like "The Masochist Project."

Objekt

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:24:29 GMT, Objekt <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure I like what it does with the difficulty settings. It makes
>ALL of them *extremely* hard, by pegging the AI sensory abilities to
>"Very High," no matter the play style chosen.

Use to Thiefbot to cast the AI settings to your liking:

http://www.team5150.com/~andrew/project.thiefbot/

Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:31:42 +0200, Greger Hoel
<gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:24:29 GMT, Objekt <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure I like what it does with the difficulty settings. It makes
>>ALL of them *extremely* hard, by pegging the AI sensory abilities to
>>"Very High," no matter the play style chosen.
>
>Use to Thiefbot to cast the AI settings to your liking:
>
>http://www.team5150.com/~andrew/project.thiefbot/

Thiefbot doesn't work with The Minimalist Project, just with the normal
game. Just to let the OP know.