Ssd samsung 830 performance on win 7 x64 sony vaio

10inja

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I just got this samsung ssd and was wondering if my results are ok. They're half what is advertised for the SSD and that's why it makes me wonder.
this is installed on my laptop which is a sony vaio vpcf1 with core i7 and intel chipset 5

from the AS SSD benchmark:
read write
seq 255 225
4k 16 36
4k-64thrd 173 95
acc time 0.134 0.090
score 215 154

now this is after I did all optimization, latest driver updates, trim, prefect and ll others, even the CPU power tweeks.

Sequencial performace will be low as you are on a sata II controller. I think to get to sata III on Intel based laptop you need Sandybride.
Will try to find my Snapshoot of Curcial M4 (very simular to 830.

My M4 on Samsung RF711 (i5-2510M)
NOTE verify that your Samsung 830 is using iaSTor as a driver, not msahci which is slightly slower.
Also verify partition is aligned. (You probably would have noticed as it whould not show "OK"
nbq5xj.jpg

I have the 830 in a desktop, Overall score is lower (around 714), but I think that is because I need to do some more "optimization"

10inja

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
thanks for the help and replies

yes, it's using iostar as the driver

yes, I do believe it's Sata II, the old HDD was Sata II

so, these numbers are just normal? move on?

jamessneed is correct, there is not a "big" diff between the SSD on sata ii vs sata III port outside of benchmark.
In real life:
.. boot time. for Post, no difference. from start loading OS to openning a program max diff probably 5 -> 10 Sec. Highly depentend on start up programs that are loaded so varies by individuals.
.. Program load time, probably can not tell the diff in many programs such as uSoft word and excel. Need close to a 100 milisects to even see the diff and the diff here is probably no more than 10->30 millisec. Larger programs that load a large file (ie some games) you might notice a difference.

The biggest difference is in reading very are files that are sequencial, which for a OS + Progrqam drive is NOT that many.

ENJOY

10inja

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
thanks for the help, I get it, and it's no problem.

just curious though, the SATA II data speed is 375MB/s, which means that most of the values above shouldn't be limited by SATA II, but they are. so what am I missing? is it that the controller itself can't handle iops?

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
OP should also state whether SSD is 64gb or 128 gb, since 64s have different specs than 128 / 255 / 512 for that drive.

BTW --how do you change from msahci to iastor [sp] ? Never ran across that. . .

Also, I thought the SATA II data speed was lower than 375, around 300, once you account for overhead.

Later, that same day --
Ha. I already DID switch to iastor at some point. Thanks. Last time I looked it was ahci

10inja

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
the one I have is 256GB

to change to iostor, go to device manager and find your sata controller (under ide and ata controllers) right click then properties, then update driver - browse - let me pick...

Like mentioned the maximum uncoded transfer rate is 2.4 Gbit/s (300 MB/s) for SATAII. Taking the 8b/10b encoding overhead into account you will have a 8-10% reduction.

Hitting 255MB/s on SATAII is likely maxing out the SATAII bandwidth in real world use.