gonz_man

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Hello,
I have an HP 8710P notebook and considering upagrading the processor. It currently has a T7100 socket P installed. Does the front bus speed of the new processor have to be the same as the old processor? Is it possible to upgrade to T9XXX series. Chipset is intel PM965 Express.

You cannot replace laptop processors.
^ Yes you can. It's just a lot more difficult than desktop processors:
1. To ensure compatibility, the only way is to check the processor models that the notebook could come with on the manufacturer's website.
2. Finding a new processor is difficult, and usually not worth the cost.
3. You must disassemble your entire notebook. Old ones used to have access to the CPU socket with a bottom cutout like for the ram, but I haven't seen a laptop like that since I think it was a 2004 Toshiba.

Like Enzo said it can be done but it is such a craps shoot on if it will work or not so many variables come into play, like will the bios support a new CPU will it support different FSB's also some laptops the CPU is embedded in the motherboard and those you cant even take out.

The T7100 never had the option to be embedded so that is atleast one variable out of the way only way to find out if a new CPU will work is to try it or look around some forums to see if anyone else has done it to the same laptop. The manufacturer will most likely not give you much info regarding upgrading it since they rather you buy a new one.

reazbuet99

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I have just upgraded my processor from T7100 to T9300 in my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop.
The performance increase is noticible. I read in some forum that you may need to update your bios if your bios date is before 2008.