Phenom 9950 Black Edition overclocking CPU cooler

chuckyboy05

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Hi guys,
im looking for a new CPU cooler for my phenom 9950 black edition cpu. Its currently clocked at 2.6ghz, i would like to get it too a steady 3ghz.

I've got an asus m3n78-vm motherboard, and 6gb ddr2 OCZ SLI edition Ram with an XFX 5770 graphics card.

I've looked around and had no joy, if anyone could give me some recommendations i would appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I would recommend the Artic Cooler 7

It should go for around 35$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=artic+cooler+7&x=0&y=0
http://www.joeteck.com/images/ACF7Pro-B.jpg

I have the same exact cpu... It does a great job but it doesn't overclock easy.

For 3Ghz stable you will need to move up the voltage at 1.45v
I ran mine at 3Ghz for a week or 2 then put it back down to 2.73...
That is just me, I am not a fan of higher voltages even if my temps never passed 65

I just moved the bus speed from 200 to 210... it's pnuts but no voltage added and it runs everything at high settings using a GTX260 216

chuckyboy05

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
@coolit that look like a pretty good cooler with good reviews. At the moment im gettin 67 degrees just playing Modern warfare 2 with stock cooler & cheap CPU paste.

I've been looking at the Zalman CNPS7000C-CU but i dont know if it supports AM2+.

I want to spend around £30-£35 which would be around $60 i guess, want a decent one. I've got 2 120MM case fans, one of the fans is directly hitting the side of the CPU heatsink which should help it i guess.

Any recommendations on Zalmans coolers?

loneninja

Distinguished
I've got a Phenom 9850 that hits 3.0Ghz easy with 1.325V. I don't push it any further because it's simply too hot, I've only got a Hyper TX3 cooling it, it reaches 57C under full load.

And $100 will get you an Athlon II X4 that performance wise is almost identical to Phenom X4 when clocked the same. Difference is the Athlon will consume much less power, produce much less heat, and overclock to 3.5Ghz+ without much of a challenge. And I can tell you first hand the Athlon II runs much cooler. Like I said my Phenom is 57C full load clocked at 3.0Ghz, well I've got an Athlon II X4 630 that only reaches 49C full load at 3.5Ghz. Both on the Hyper TX3.

loneninja

Distinguished
I was looking to offer him a Athlon II X4 620/630 because it would be much faster, cooler and MUCH more overclockable than what he has now. But telling him a Athlon II is as fast as a Phenom II at the same speed is just plain NOT true. The Phenom II is much faster than the Athlon II in gaming due to the L3 cache.

You might want to reread what I said. It clearly says "Athlon II X4 that performance wise is almost identical to Phenom X4 when clocked the same" I didn't even mention Phenom II.