bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
So yeah! got a 128gb ssd as a present that i am going to use to store my OS, steam, google chrome, and a few games on, but i don't know how to transfer the OS onto the ssd. I would like to go with the most dumbed down way possible, as i am not a software guy... Any help is appreciated! thanks.

Solution
Okay, on an SSD.

Power off computer. Make sure you have no other hard drives plugged in. ONLY your SSD. Then Go into your BIOS and set the SATA Controllers to ACHI. Then change in your BIOS to read from the CD ROM instead of the Hard Drive.

Then open your optical drive and insert windows 7 disk. Do a clean install. It's simple as that.

fantastik250

Distinguished
Okay, on an SSD.

Power off computer. Make sure you have no other hard drives plugged in. ONLY your SSD. Then Go into your BIOS and set the SATA Controllers to ACHI. Then change in your BIOS to read from the CD ROM instead of the Hard Drive.

Then open your optical drive and insert windows 7 disk. Do a clean install. It's simple as that.

Solution

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Ok thank you very much! I will try this in a few days when I get back to my computer. Thank you all very much for your help!

1. Unplug data cable for HD
2. Install ya SSD to SATA 0 port
3. Check ya BIOS and see where SATA is set (shud be AHCI) .... I have found most times this gets set automatically but worth checking.
4. Install windows same way ya put it on ya HD .... insert the DVD in the optical drive and turn on machine.
5. Run Windows update 5-6 times till it stops finding stuff.
6. Install all ya drivers from driver CD or better yet, new ones form maufacturer's web site.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

awwwwesome :D It worked! Thank you very much for your help!