Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Got a 128gb ssd

Last response: in Storage
June 8, 2012 5:08:27 PM

So yeah! got a 128gb ssd as a present that i am going to use to store my OS, steam, google chrome, and a few games on, but i don't know how to transfer the OS onto the ssd. I would like to go with the most dumbed down way possible, as i am not a software guy... Any help is appreciated! thanks.

More about : 128gb ssd

a b G Storage
June 8, 2012 5:23:52 PM

I'd recommend doing a fresh install of Windows on the SSD, then plug in the old HDD can copy what you need over.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 9, 2012 1:58:27 AM

+1 everyone's recommendations. It is best for you to clean install your OS into the SSD. Saves you headaches. And it will not take that long.
m
l
June 9, 2012 4:51:35 AM

Okay! So does it matter if i have an OEM version of win7?
m
l
a b G Storage
June 9, 2012 4:54:32 AM

No, as long as you have the product key, you are fine.
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:13:56 AM

fantastik250 said:
No, as long as you have the product key, you are fine.

Okay! Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do i reinstall windows?
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 9, 2012 6:19:01 AM

Okay, on an SSD.

Power off computer. Make sure you have no other hard drives plugged in. ONLY your SSD. Then Go into your BIOS and set the SATA Controllers to ACHI. Then change in your BIOS to read from the CD ROM instead of the Hard Drive.

Then open your optical drive and insert windows 7 disk. Do a clean install. It's simple as that.
June 9, 2012 2:55:41 PM

fantastik250 said:
Okay, on an SSD.

Power off computer. Make sure you have no other hard drives plugged in. ONLY your SSD. Then Go into your BIOS and set the SATA Controllers to ACHI. Then change in your BIOS to read from the CD ROM instead of the Hard Drive.

Then open your optical drive and insert windows 7 disk. Do a clean install. It's simple as that.

Ok thank you very much! I will try this in a few days when I get back to my computer. Thank you all very much for your help!
m
l
a c 122 G Storage
June 9, 2012 4:12:31 PM

bobochez said:
Okay! Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do i reinstall windows?

1. Unplug data cable for HD
2. Install ya SSD to SATA 0 port
3. Check ya BIOS and see where SATA is set (shud be AHCI) .... I have found most times this gets set automatically but worth checking.
4. Install windows same way ya put it on ya HD .... insert the DVD in the optical drive and turn on machine.
5. Run Windows update 5-6 times till it stops finding stuff.
6. Install all ya drivers from driver CD or better yet, new ones form maufacturer's web site.
m
l
June 12, 2012 6:01:37 PM

fantastik250 said:
Okay, on an SSD.

awwwwesome :D  It worked! Thank you very much for your help!
m
l
June 12, 2012 6:01:51 PM

Best answer selected by bobochez.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 12, 2012 8:13:50 PM

Cool, glad that it worked :) 
m
l
!