Windows 7 64bit only showing 4gb Ram

va7enkeist

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Hello!

I recently put my computer together for the first time and got it working. However there is one thing I've noticed as a problem I'm unsure how to fix.

I have 12gb 1333 Gskill ddr3 ram and windows is only picking up 4gb's of it. Bios see's all 6 sticks but it doesnt say how much each one is just a total of 4000mb memory.

I have a asus rampage iii motherboard and the ram is on the approved list according to the book. I don't know what setting to mess with since most of them are dedicated overclocking settings. And I just want my ram to show up.

Also on a offhand note, I'm getting CPU Fan Error when I boot up however every fan in the case and on the cpu are working fine is this because I picked random places to plug the fans into?

Any advise or questions would be awesome

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
What kind of memory kit is it you are using, is it a 3x4 GB? If so, are you using the memory in the first 3 slots left to right? If yes, then that is where the problem lies.

If you have the memory in the correct slots, try them all one at a time to verify that they all work, and we can take it from there.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Having it unchecked will have the OS use all available memory.

Edit: Just to make sure, you have checked that you do have 64 bit installed and not the 32 bit version?

va7enkeist

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
hello checked yesterday but wasnt at work so i forgot about this.

It is 7 home proffesssional 64 bit it's the OEM system builder version I dont know if that has any impact..

Max Memory box was unchecked.

Still only have my 4gigs

Asus rampage iii
hd radeon 6970 xfx video
12 gb of Gskill 1333hz DDR3 ram all from the same kit.
I7 3.07 Bloomfield Quad cpu I haven't OC'd yet cuz of that random fan error that doesnt really seem to be a error.
Thermal Take _____ heatsink
Lian-Li Armorsuit Case with 4 Fans
Ocz 750w PSU
Samsung SSD 64
seagate Barracuda 1tb
_____ CD/Dvd r+w

va7enkeist

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
I tried taking out the ram and It wouldn't boot... I tried a triple channel set of 6gb and nothing happened so I went back to 12gb displaying as 4. i didnt try 1 stick at a time since 3 didnt work i wasnt sure if i should do one at a time