Sign in with
Your question

BSODs and Weird Not Posting

Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2010 6:17:42 AM

I had to replace my motherboard, because the onboard sound on my old one stopped working.

Since putting the new motherboard in, i've been having strange problems. I keep getting what seem to be random blue screen crashes. I haven't been able to figure out what's causing them.

Also, today when I came home from work I tried to turn on my computer, but it wouldn't post. Normally it makes one beep for a successful post, but I wasn't getting any boot code. Taking out the video card and putting it back in seemed to fix the problem, and it posted successfully. However, after leaving my computer in sleep for a few hours later in the day, the same problem occured.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers for my chipset and video card. I ran memtest86+ for two cycles without finding any errors. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

More about : bsods weird posting

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 6:52:55 AM

Mobo is mounted on standoffs? no random wires exposed to short it out? everything plugged in exactly as it was on old mobo? (assuming same model ofc)
link model and see what ppl can come up with :) 
April 28, 2010 6:56:05 AM

everything looks good to me. i don't think it's shorting since after i take the video card out and put it back in, it boots fine. however, it still sometimes gets BSODs and the same problem happened again later.

Here are the specs:

Asus M4a79xtd evo motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 955
HIS H489FN1GH Radeon HD 4890
Antec 300 Illusion
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Do you think reinstalling windows could help?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 7:06:55 AM

erm, yes, new motherboard is a serious hardware change, your old windows wont recognise the new board, re-install and let us know how it goes :) 
!