Core Unlocking on MSI 880GMA-E45

jcamel24

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I am just wondering if anyone has any experience unlocking cores on this motherboard. I have had several problems with this board before and am concerned about screwing up another one!

So I have been able to unlock the cores and boot into Windows as a Phenom II X4 B45 processor.

My question is: when I open HWMonitor, it shows that the processor is drawing 178 Watts! Is this even possible? So I shut it down right away. Didn't even try to stress test it. Also tried it as an x3 and draws 133w.

My biggest concern is if this motherboard can handle having the processor unlocked. I had originally bought the board with a 1055t. But after frying two boards, got a different one for that CPU. Now come to find out, MSI has taken all 125W processors off the supported list for this mobo. I am concerned that it will not last very long if these numbers are correct.

jcamel24

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Well, both HWMonitor and CPUz report the same 1.36v as an x2 or x4. So I should be OK there.

Like I said, I didn't try to stress it yet, as I am hoping for lots of good feedback before trying it and possibly having to RMA it again (considering the history I've had with this mobo model).

Latest posts