Applying thermal compound - graphics and CPU

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi all,

I picked up a tube of thermal compound - THERMAL COMPOUND AC|MX-2 R.

I purchased this so that I could apply it to a CPU. But I wanted to apply some to the graphics card in the machine as well. Its running really hot. IS there any way of reapplying this to a graphics card?

I've read some places that a different paste should be used on a graphics card ...but could I use this stuff on both a graphics card AND the CPU?

Lastly, I've never re applied thermal compound to a graphics card before and I've tried googling things but can't find anything. Would someone be able to give me the jest of how to go about re applying to a graphics card? Thanks a lot!

The reason you want "different stuff" on the graphics cards is because on them, or at the very least on the ramsinks, the thermal compound is actually keeping them on like a glue, because there are not clips or anything. This is why you need the "different stuff" that will act like glue and a thermal compound; regular thermal compound will not "stick".

I've never done it myself, so I really can't offer any advice.

usually on the actual GPU core the heatsink is attached by some mechanism (usually with tension spring screws), though like said, the ramsinks are usually held there with thermal pads that keep them attached to the ram chips

Mindless just said that the heatsink was held on by a mechanism, so you can use any thermal compound fine. But the ramsinks, no, for sure not.

it might depend on how high end the gpu is, like a 4870, 4850 (or 5770, 5750) should have a heatsink screwed in because of weight, something like a 4550 might not have a retention mechanism, but i would assume so, just look at the card before you do this, if you see screws holding the heatsink on, you should be fine

on a second not, i don't think i have seen a recent video card (as far back as the NV 6xxx line) without screws holding the heatsink in

but it is definitely a no for the ram sinks as that keeps them on, and if it doesn't have ram sinks and instead the ram chips touching the main heatsink (like my 4870's) its still a no since there is too much room between the heatsink and the chips

G

I remember modding my ti4200 ram chips with cut up Intel CPU heatsinks using normal TIM, just used nice amount in blob, pushed firmly nad they stuck by suction like force permanently, as long as you did not handle the card roughly, they were still on there a couple of years later when i upgraded lol

yeah you can use CPU TIM on GPU no probs, as long as it has its own retention mechanism..

Also components are closer in GPU so would recommend non conductive TIM.

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
hi

I've never applied it to a graphics card before so I'm not sure. Since my last post though I do now know what exact card it is.

It is a ASUS V9520. It is a home theater video card 128MB.
Its a PCI express card and it has its only little fan on it. Could someone tell me, or give me a link as to where I can get a good idea of taking this card apart so I can reapply thermal paste? The vid card is running VERY hot.

I've searched online but haven't found much. I have thermal paste I used on a CPU. Its Arctic MX-2. Is it okay to use this on the vid card? Thanks. Reply asap!