Buying a Power Supply (Size/Dimensions)

tnowak3

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
I apologize ahead of time if there was a topic on this already, I was unable to locate it with the search function.

I need to buy a new power supply. I don't want to buy one that is not the correct size for my computer. I have browsed the internet and noticed that I can't really find one that has the exact same dimensions as my current one.

My current one is:
3.375 x 5.9 x 6.25

I'd like to confirm if it is okay to buy a power supply that isn't the exact same as my current one. How close does it have to be?

Solution
Most ATX PSUs should fit, your case takes a standard PS/2 sized PSU so the normal sized ones you see on newegg will fit, just make sure if its a little longer it isnt going to cause you any issues. Had an older machine that i swap the PSU out on and its optical drive was almost too deep to allow the PSU to fit.
Most ATX PSUs should fit, your case takes a standard PS/2 sized PSU so the normal sized ones you see on newegg will fit, just make sure if its a little longer it isnt going to cause you any issues. Had an older machine that i swap the PSU out on and its optical drive was almost too deep to allow the PSU to fit.

Solution

tnowak3

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Thank you for the information, everyone. My next question is about the different wires that come with the power supply. I'm not sure if all power supplies come with the same amount of wires.

My current power supply has one of those big 20 holes that connects to the motherboard (which I'm pretty sure is a standard for most all PSU's) but I was also using 5 of those 4 hole things (Picture). They were connected to two hard drives, two CD drives, and a video card.

Would this Power Supply be good for my computer?

http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-M-500B-Supply-Connectors-ATX12V/dp/B0013FIO04/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278435190&sr=8-3. It says that it is ATX12v but it doesn't say how many wires it has...I need at least 5.

I would go for the BP-500 over the Apevia anyday. The little red voltage switch is a sign of an older design, but neither of them are 80+ certified so neither one of them is very efficient. If you get a good PSU you wont need to replace it in a few years.

TRENDING THREADS