Is SSD right for me??

Lego_boy

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Just about to buy:

-i7 2600k
-16gb G.skill 1600mhz Ram
-ASROCK z77 Extreme4

I've read that storage is becoming increasingly the case for systems bottlenecks..

My build will essentially be used for 3D modelling/rendering 2D...and occasional animation (but very rarely)

I can probably stretch to getting a Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB as suggested within this months guide.

Would getting a SSD, installing the OS, modelling software, and only putting the files rendered from and saving to on there improve my rendering performance?

Thanks in advance.

I've seen that link before, so finally read it.
While I agree with the major premise, I find it to be dated, and possibly biased.
First off, I agree with the fact that ONLY what is on the SSD is "speed up" AND AN SSD is not the best place to put LARGE video files from a cost standpoint.

But looking at some of the statements such as:
QUOTE: For OS & program disks they are great, provided you set up Windows to not use the SSD for temp storage. They can easily shave off 3 or 4 seconds from your usual boot time of 60+ seconds, depending on your configuration. (Did you notice any sarcasm in this statement? You should.)End quote.
Not sure what planet the guy lives on as an SSD can normally shave off a lot more than 3 to 4 seconds.
The 60 Sec for a HDD is optimum as I've seen a lot of systems that take longer. Boot time is comprised of two parts, the post and the loading of the operating system. Generally the post time is the same for SSD and HDDs, But the loading the operating system can be 15 Sec or less for a SSD. My wife's biggest compliant with here system was the boot time. I just changed from a HDD to a SSD for the OS + Programs, and it sure Shaved off a lot more than 4 Sec - and That was with a Low end Agility III on a Sata II port!

Quote: Currently, the price per GB for a SSD of the latest generation is generally around $ 1.40 - $ 2.00, depending on the model, capacity and brand. A conventional disk is around $ 0.05 - $ 0.06 per GB and that means a SSD is around 30 times more expensive per GB End quote.

This inaccuracy is due to date of article. Things can change fast. IE flooding in Thailand has caused prices for HDD to rise significantly while the Prices for SSDs (Sata III) have dropped considerably, almost half. A good SATA III SSD can be found for at, or less than, a Dollar a gig. HDD prices are now not projected to return to pre Oct 2011 prices until 2014. BUT HDDs are still the cost effective storage for your generated DATA, just not the difference quoted.

Quote:
If TRIM is not working, the write degradation is even worse and you may count yourself lucky to attain write speeds of 50 MB/s or less. Unfortunately, most SSD's firmware in combination with raid controllers currently have the nasty side effect of disabling the TRIM function, so raiding SSD's is not a serious choice for raid configurations.
The only way to correct this write degradation is by performing a secure erase
End quote.

OOPs, I guess that means internal Garbage collection is a Fake, granted it does work better with Trim.

Quote: you can rewrite the complete contents of a SSD around 125 times, before the NAND memory is no longer reliable/useable. Not many people would try that and for a boot disk this means a very, very long time before the useful life of a SSD is at an end, but for video editors it is a different story.End quote.
1st agree writing/rewriting a large amount of data daily will shorten life span, just not sure where the 125 times came from, last I read a MLC Cell can be written to 10,000 times.

Bottom Line, the SSD will considerably shorten OS load time. For small programs, not a biggy, for large programs can be noticable. NO improvement in how fast a program runs. If a large file is called by the program, if it's on the SSD will load faster, if On HDD, than it will load at the speed of the HDD. For working with LARGE file structures on a Daily basis, I would recommend a SSD coupled with a pair of HDDs in raid0, BUT Raid0 requires higher end more expensive drives - WD green, or blacks just don't cut it.

Lego_boy

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Great response thank you.
In the grand scheme of things, I have paitence to wait 15 more seconds for something to load if needs be. What I would really need is a reduction in rendering time. I don't fully understand how the software functions, i.e 3ds max - mental ray, I understand that all the rendering is done on the CPU, but I don't understand when it involves the transfer of data from the HDD. if it is constant I can see the benefits, if it reads it all once, processes then writes a jpeg, then I can't see much benefit, I just don't know which is true.

Anyone know a little more about the way the software works??

Also, regarding raid 0, I have 2 x 1tb HDDs, they are the same speeds, just one is a seagate 7200 and one is hitachi 7200, is it unadvisable to raid these as they are different brands?

Lego_boy

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Also, I know this may sound seriously dumb. But isn't raid 0 very risky, as in 1 drive dies, all my data is lost? Is this something people just live with and ensure they regularly back up?

On Raid0, Yes you could still place them in raid0, probably would not recommend it. Newer HDD are not meant for raid and drive failures are more common. Higher end drives are needed.

On Video encoding. My experience is some what limited. About the only thing I do is copy a DVD to the HDD, then use a program to shrink it so that O can put it on a Thumbdrive for watching on vacation - stuck some 25 DVDs and Blueray movies on a 64 Gig Thumbdrive. Individual movies were shrunk to about 2.2 Gigs (mepg4-760P).

I'm guessing that Z77 is simular to Z68 and video encoding can be improved when a dGPU is combined with an Intel iDGP.
Here is an old benchmark on Z68 with quicksync.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4-asus-p8z68-v-pro-gigabyte-z68x-ud3h-b3,2939-14.html