Hard drive only resgisters as a SLAVE

lcdr03

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I have a CHAINTECH 7NJL6 motherboard. It worked fine about 4 months ago....haven't used util today,previously worked fine. Hard drive shows up as slave rather than master and system won't boot. Checked pin on hardrive it was set for auto detect, bios set to auto. Moved pin to master and it made no difference. Moved cable from channel 1 to channel 2 and hard drive detected still as a slave and auto detects drive type and settings. Have replaced drive cable and no differences....any thoughts of how to make it read as a master.

lcdr03

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Scott,
Thanks for the response but as I mention in my intial write up. The default jumper setting was for auto select e.g. cable select. My next plan is to try and read the drive was another computer and to use a different hardrive. Somehow the system is seeing the drive because I don't get a unrecognizable media failure and it gets to a Windows scripting the allows you to attempt to go to "Safe Mode", previous known profile, etc...any attempt to select any of those options results in the same response of you let the script time out, system reboots and returns to the same page....loop, loop, loop.

scott13183

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Ah, sorry... maybe I skimmed past the part where you mentioned auto as I've always known it as cable select instead. Do they get detected correctly when connecting individually?

Don't know if that would be an issue with the IDE port on the mobo, or a failing controller on one of the disks, but maybe other hardware would help narrow it down then. Best of luck.

lcdr03

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Scott: I've run a couple more test. Took drive out and read the drive with a USB to IDE cable...copied data off drive. Installed a Western Digital drive on the original cable...System auto detected as Master. This tells me it is something with the Seagate drive. Found something via Google today about using a seagate drive utility. Haven't had a chance to try it yet...That'll be my next test...If that doesn't work...I'll try reformatting.

yudoot

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
hope hard drive and cd rom are not connected through single data bus, is it so? if it is then change the connections. to what female bus connector hd disk is connected, connect the cd rom and vice versa.