First time building a computer

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2010 1:44:35 PM

Hello guys,
I'm planning to build a new computer soon, but the problem is, it's my first time.
I'm in a process of choosing my components, I knew it wouldn't be an easy thing to do, but before I knew it, I was banging my head against my desk several times.
I have several questions, I hope I could get some feedback or answers from the people at this forum. :p 

1. I don't know if all these components are compatible with each other.
2. I don't know if my power supply unit will be compatible and I don't really know what the required watt usage should be. I think 650W might be more than enough, but I could be wrong. xD

Thanks to those who can help me with this. :D 
* Edit: Changed the motherboard, power supply unit, cooler and the RAM.

Case:
Cooler Master CM 690

Motherboard:*
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

Video Card:
GeForce GTX 470

Hard drive:
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS

RAM:*
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 DC Kit

CPU Cooler:*
Scythe Mugen 2

Power Supply:*
Corsair TX650W

Optical Drive:
Sony Optiarc AD-5240S

SSD:**
Intel Postville X25-V - 40GB

More about : time building computer

April 28, 2010 1:51:00 PM

go for ripjaws ram or corsair would be nice~.
April 28, 2010 1:59:05 PM

avengedsoul said:
go for ripjaws ram or corsair would be nice~.

Is Ripjaws or Corsair really that much better? I picked Kingston because it was slightly cheaper.
If it does have an impact, I'll choose a different one then.
Related resources
April 28, 2010 2:20:17 PM

Hmmm...
1. You might want to get better brands for the mobo. Get ASUS or Gigabyte.
2. CNPS9700 is expensive and loud on high speed. You might want to get something else.
3. You might also want PSUs from Corsair or Antec. 650W is only enough for 1 GPU.
4. Kingston is OK but only for a little difference get a slightly faster G.Skil DDR3 1600 CL7. 8 GB RAM won't change much for gaming, 4GB is enough in most cases.
5. You might want buy a SSD.
April 28, 2010 2:47:20 PM

guanyu210379 said:
Hmmm...
1. You might want to get better brands for the mobo. Get ASUS or Gigabyte.
2. CNPS9700 is expensive and loud on high speed. You might want to get something else.
3. You might also want PSUs from Corsair or Antec. 650W is only enough for 1 GPU.
4. Kingston is OK but only for a little difference get a slightly faster G.Skil DDR3 1600 CL7. 8 GB RAM won't change much for gaming, 4GB is enough in most cases.
5. You might want buy a SSD.

Ah thank you for your reply.

I've changed the motherboard, RAM and power supply unit as you suggested.

Since I'm not really familiar with all those brands and components, I'm not really sure what cooler I should choose.
And I'm even more unfamiliar with SSD, heh. I guess it'll take a while before I'll actually be buying and building my computer.
April 28, 2010 5:28:12 PM

I've been looking into the SSD, those are some really expensive little critters. xD
But I guess I'll add that to my list too then.
I like fast computers. =)
April 28, 2010 5:33:03 PM

Wow, why am I having so much trouble editing and deleting my posts. =/
I don't meant to triple post.
April 29, 2010 9:06:20 AM

An SSD simplified is a lot faster HDD. The best offer you can find right now is the 80GB from Intel. SSDs are very expensive but really worth the price.
You can add SSD anytime you want, you don't have to buy it now.

As for the cooler...I don't know yet which one is the best for X6..
I think X6 will be hotter than X2, X3 or X4 if OCed.
I don't want to recommend anything for you at this moment because I am not yet sure if the cooler for PhenomII X4 AM3 is really enough for X6.
Or perhaps someone else want to answer this question.

April 29, 2010 9:17:39 AM

I can't give much advice as I am a man who tends to build on a budget. I went with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2 for my CPU (Though I use i5 750). It is a multi CPU cooler so does work for AMD and is fantastically quiet. But I do not know how effective it is for hard OCing.

Just curious, is this computer mainly for gaming or do you do a lot of things on it?
I ask because the Geforce 470 is a power whore and a radiator and damn expensive for its performance in games. I you are a devoted Nvidia fan then fair enough, you have only the option of 470 or 480, but if you are indifferent to whether your card is ATI or Nvidia, I would suggest you have a good look at review sites before deciding on card.

Certainly in the UK, you can buy the ATI 5870 for the same price as the 470 which considering the reviews pit the 480 against the 5870 means the 5870 is a better deal
April 29, 2010 9:52:33 AM

agree with asteldian
April 29, 2010 8:57:58 PM

asteldian said:
I can't give much advice as I am a man who tends to build on a budget. I went with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2 for my CPU (Though I use i5 750). It is a multi CPU cooler so does work for AMD and is fantastically quiet. But I do not know how effective it is for hard OCing.

Just curious, is this computer mainly for gaming or do you do a lot of things on it?
I ask because the Geforce 470 is a power whore and a radiator and damn expensive for its performance in games. I you are a devoted Nvidia fan then fair enough, you have only the option of 470 or 480, but if you are indifferent to whether your card is ATI or Nvidia, I would suggest you have a good look at review sites before deciding on card.

Certainly in the UK, you can buy the ATI 5870 for the same price as the 470 which considering the reviews pit the 480 against the 5870 means the 5870 is a better deal
Oh thank you for your reply.
Ahaha, yeah, I was planning to use the GeForce mainly for gaming (and maybe using it for other things).
I was thinking that I don't have to replace my GPU for a long time if I get a decent one.

In my country, the GeForce 470 is slightly cheaper, going for 332 euro. The HD5870 goes for 339. Only a small difference in price.
I don't really know which one of them is the better one though.

I only looked at http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html for choosing my GPU, I checked the top 15 or so for the price and I found GeForce 470 having a pretty good quality/price ratio.
April 30, 2010 6:50:55 AM

HayashiKaiji said:
Oh thank you for your reply.
Ahaha, yeah, I was planning to use the GeForce mainly for gaming (and maybe using it for other things).
I was thinking that I don't have to replace my GPU for a long time if I get a decent one.

In my country, the GeForce 470 is slightly cheaper, going for 332 euro. The HD5870 goes for 339. Only a small difference in price.
I don't really know which one of them is the better one though.

I only looked at http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html for choosing my GPU, I checked the top 15 or so for the price and I found GeForce 470 having a pretty good quality/price ratio.

Where do you live?
Both 470 and HD5870 are somehow cheaper there than here where I live. €339...I have bought my HD5850 with that price..
HD5870 and 470 are still about €40-€60 more expensive...
Can you also post the website where you want to buy that 470?
April 30, 2010 9:05:03 AM

The 480 was supposed to compete with the 5870, and it does, overall being about 10% faster

The 470 was supposed to compete with the 5850 - which it does, being a little bit faster.

The summary is:
1) Due to heat and power consumption of the Geforce cards, despite the slight performance increase of them, many prefer to go with ATI as the increase in resource requirement does not justify the performance increase (people are also worried about a card running at 90 degrees regularly in their case)

2) Despite the 480 being designed to compete with the 5870 it costs far more, meanwhile the 470 which was to compete witht he 5850 actually costs as much as the more powerful card 5870
April 30, 2010 10:19:00 AM

guanyu210379 said:
Where do you live?
Both 470 and HD5870 are somehow cheaper there than here where I live. €339...I have bought my HD5850 with that price..
HD5870 and 470 are still about €40-€60 more expensive...
Can you also post the website where you want to buy that 470?

I live in The Netherlands (which is still expensive compared to America in my opinion).
I'm going to buy it from this site: http://www.salland.eu/product/721989/gigabyte-geforce-g...
And I used this site to search the stores: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/255273/gigabyte-geforce-...

I'm going to go to the store and pick the card up, which means I don't have to pay the delivery fee. Well, it might be just 10 euro, but if you abstract 10 euro for each component, I'll be saving over a hundred euro. xD
April 30, 2010 6:50:03 PM

Hmmm...Deutschland ist Sch**ß*!
It is still cheaper in neighboring countries..
I will try to order thinks from Holland then... I will have also to find out first if I have to pay taxes or anything for buying outside Germany...
Thank you very much for your answer... much appreciated..
April 30, 2010 8:36:47 PM

guanyu210379 said:
Hmmm...Deutschland ist Sch**ß*!
It is still cheaper in neighboring countries..
I will try to order thinks from Holland then... I will have also to find out first if I have to pay taxes or anything for buying outside Germany...
Thank you very much for your answer... much appreciated..
I'm almost sure you don't have to pay anything, because we're in the European Union. =3
But research it, just to be sure.

If it's about 30 to 40 euros more expensive in Germany, I don't know if it's worthwhile to buy it from The Netherlands. I don't know the delivery cost.
Maybe find someone who will do you a favor and send it over to Germany. xD
!