Motherboard and Harddrive

venzin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
So im soon going to build a new system but im using som old parts from my old computer like this Harddrive its a 200.0 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-150 - 7200.0 rpm. It has Windows XP on and many other files that i have on there that i have to use so i was wondering there wont be no problem connecting this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID= to this harddrive?

venzin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010

So your saying i need to reinstall XP on my new motherboard? well the prob is that i dont have the XP CD

no, you install xp onto the hard drive, you dont need your original xp disc, any xp disc will do, but you WILL need your windows coa key ( somewhere on your pc is the label with it on) , but you can either borrow a mates xp disc, or you should have a comp shop near you that does 'backup/repair' discs, the problem is when you installed xp originally, it looks at your setup and remembers what there is, you put a new gfx card in its no big deal, it can deal with that, but a new mobo or Hdd and it sits down in a corner and cries for days, leading to a lot of posts on here about how xxx shiny new pc wont boot, your doing well even to try tho imo, keep going man and well help you if we can :)

venzin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
You mean the product key thats labled on my pc thats kinda greenish? well thank you for posting :) i appreciate that.

venzin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Thanks Motopsychojdn if i asked about this after i built my system i would probably be raging like hell waiting to get an answer of why my system wont boot :kaola: thanks alot!