PC randomly dies, but stays on - no signal on monitor

mhorner123

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Hi, i have had my computer for a fair amount of time now, say a year, i recently moved to cyprus and i have been here for 3 months. Over the last few days, my computer has been randomly turning off while im doing something, seems to happen quicker when im stressing it which leads me to believe its overheating? But what confuses me is the pc doesnt power off, evefrything inside is still running and the monitor just displays the no signal display thing.
Info of my hardware:
Mobo : Intel DX48BT2
Cpu; QX9650 Extreme - Quad 3ghz
Gcard - 9800gt
ram - 2gig ddr3 1300mhz
Another thing is, when i leave my pc overnight turned off, i come in to the office, turn my pc on its fine for say 1-3 hours then the crap happens, then i have to leave it off for like 10 mins or i can't even get to windows without it doing its thing.
Any ideas/help is appreciated !
p.s nothing is OC'd

Should not have to do any setup. Look at the link and you will see what is reported. Voltages, temps,fan speeds, cpu core temps and gpu temps. (if available).

Word of caution- Some times these "software" programs are not valid. You can normally tell this as The values are out in left field. For example the +5 volts is like 1 to 2 Volts, or the +12 is showing up as a very low or high value. On my i5-750 bBuild (P55M) the +12 does not show up, but appears to be the value displayed as -12 V with a neg value. Most problems with the PSU show up as a low +12 V. This reading should be between +11.4 and +12.6. My personal preference is for the +12 to be no lower than +11.6 V. +5 V should be between +4.75 and + 5.25 V.

mhorner123

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
All im seeing is CPU and HDD temps, no voltages or anythng
for my cpu, cores 1 + 2 averages are around 48,
3+4 43/38 repsectively.
Is this too high or standard ?

Are the temps for idle or under load, at load they are OK, if idle may be too high when you start "gaming".

Try (1) If mother board came with a utility program use it for looking at voltages
(2) look in bios under system health - Causing these valuse are for min load, NOT under Heave load.
(3) try another program such as speed fan (do a google search). Have to leave.

It looks like cpu temp is invalid
+5/+12 look good

At idle, if other tems are correct, I would say temps are a little high (exceptable) for idle but may be a problem under load.

(1) Remove side panel and check for dust accumilation.
(2) ?? how many case fans do you have. If HDD temp is correct, it indicates poor air flow inside case. Sould be in the low 40's i believe.
(3) don't use speed fan to boost fan speed. First go into bios and change CPU fan speed from uto to full.
(4) What CPU cooler are you using, if stock - it's lousy, recommend replacing with a 3rd party HSF, preferably one with a backing plate.

With side panel off
With temp monitoring on, run prime 95 and watch CPU temps (Need one that shows your CPU temp (see link for another one)
Put side panel back on and repeat.
A 3rd temp monitoring program
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

For Prime95
http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html