Help diagnosing

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
My friends PC has failed, since I usually fix everyone's PC around here (of people whom I know) I took the liberty to look at it. It boots but won't POST. Just sits there pickin its nose.

I opened it, tried reseting CMOS with no dice. I tried another PSU, same thing. I also tried another video card, tried moving the RAM around.

I can hear the HDD working, but that shouldn't cause this anyway. Also the DVD drive won't open but that may be another issue (when I put new PSU in I did not plug it into the DVD drive, so maybe the PSU might still be dead).

I have been lead to belive it is the motherboard. Why? Well replacing anything else didn't work, and there are several bulging caps (roughly 5 that I can see) next to the CPU.

Now I need to have him order a new mobo, but his stuff is pretty old. AM2 CPU, 7900GS, 1GB DDR-400

Can not find a AM2 mobo with DDR 1 slots, but it costs only $8 more to get a new mobo with 1GB of DDR 2 so no issue.

I just want to know what you guys think before I place the order. Do you think it is the motherboard?