Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP will not install on laptop

Last response: in Windows XP
January 13, 2013 5:59:45 PM

Hi. I have a toshiba laptop that was given to me by a friend for a laptop for my 10 year old. The laptop was not working. When you turn in on, it says Enter the drive password. My buddy can not remember the password, this is the reason he gage it to me. I pulled a working IDE hard drive off an old compac that we had laying around placed it in the computer. When i load the xp disk to install XP it loads all the driverers and such as if it is going to work. Then it blue screens saying

" A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER. CHECK FOR VIRUSES ON THE COMPUTER REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED HARD DRIVE OR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLERS CHECK YOU HARD DRIVE TO MAKE SURE IT IS PROPERLY CONFIGURED AND TERMINATED. RUN CHKDSK /F TO CHECK FOR HARD DRIVE CORRUPTON AND THEN RESTAT THE COMPUTER TECHNICAL INFORMATION ***STOP: 0X0000007B 0XF8D2524, OXC0000034, 0X00000000 0X000000000"

any idea how how to fix this? Thanks for the help

More about : windows install laptop

January 14, 2013 6:06:17 AM

Your not giving enough information on the systems. Need brand, model numbers and/or hardware specs for both systems. Also need to know what a "drive password " is. Im assuming your talking about the windows login password or a bios password. The difference is important.

Im guessing the hardware differs too much to allow the install from the one machine to work on the other. If thats the case a repair install would work, if you have an OEM XP cd.
m
l
a b D Laptop
January 14, 2013 5:35:49 PM

7B stops are typically driver related. Start here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

@Falcon: Some BIOS allow the setting of a hardware password on the HD itself which renders the drive useless unless the password is given during boot. Dells have had this capability for years. The drive can not be used at all while the password is set, even if removed and placed in another computer. It's not as good as encryption but will stop all but the most determined of attempts to retrieve data.
m
l
January 14, 2013 7:24:46 PM

I'm aware of hard disk locking, but I don't see it used much at all by home users. They seem to stick with OS and occasionally bios passwords. But now that I look at his post again, he did say it prompted him for the "drive password", so it seems it is on the hard disk this time.
m
l
!