Wireless-N to Wired to Wireless-N via ICS

xenopologist

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
(I tried posting this once, but it didn't show up, so sorry if I managed to double-post.)

The setup I'm considering is very unconventional, but necessary due to the fact that the only working phone jack is upstairs, and the house is rented so I can't install more jacks or run 100's of feet of CAT5. Additionally, I need to work with the equipment I have and make the best use of it, so please avoid the "you should just go buy X" comments. :)

Upstairs:
DSL via 2Wire Modem/Wireless Router (wireless disabled) using DMZ mode to pass traffic via wired to Netgear WNR2000 "N-300" at 2.4GHz Wireless-N.

Downstairs:
PC with Netgear Wireless-N 2.4GHz adapter receiving signal from upstairs. PC has 10/100/1000 NIC wired to Netgear WNDR3700 Rangemax Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit router. WNDR3700 broadcasting 2.4GHz b/g/n and 5GHz a/n wireless, plus 1 or 2 wired PCs via ethernet ports.

I am hoping to:
1. take advantage of the 2.4GHz N-Wireless range to get the strongest signal from upstairs to downstairs.
2. use ICS on the PC to provide internet access to the downstairs LAN in order to avoid the 50%+ throughput loss that would occur using the second wireless router as a repeater.
3. maintain the best throughput from the downstairs PC to the WDNR3700 via the GB NIC
4. use the WDNR3700 downstairs as opposed to upstairs so I can make use of the 5GHz network for streaming video, etc.
5. As stated above, use the equipment I have on hand.

So the main questions are:
1. Will this work?
2. Will I still get decent performance and throughput?
3. Do I need a crossover cable between the PC and the WAN port on the WDNR3700?
4. Can I use the PC as the WDNR3700's WAN connection and allow the router to manage DHCP, etc for the LAN? This one is important.

Note: there will not be any computers connecting directly to either of the upstairs routers, wired or wireless, so it is only important that the downstairs computers be on the same subnet.

Any info or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out. :)

X

xenopologist

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

If anyone is interested, this worked like a charm. getting 100% signal from upstairs to downstairs over 300Mbps, 1Gbps wired from the computer with the wireless adapter to the wndr3700, and 4-5 bars throughout the house over wireless-n at 130Mbps, with none of the throughput loss or worthless WEP security associated with repeating.

ME = :D