• 0 %
  • Intel X25-V. 40GB. $120
  • 34 %
  • OCZ Agility 2. 60GB. $190
  • 67 %
  • Don't waste your money. Keep your 100GB partition on your 500GB WD Black
  • 0 %
July 6, 2010 6:30:17 AM

I know this is the wrong forum, but those in the CPU forum seem to be well rounded; plus the storage forum seems to be fairly...quiet.

So I am debating between 3 solid state drives. The cheapest is the OCZ solid 2 30GB at $85. Next is the intel x25-V 40GB at $120. Finally, the $190 OCZ Agility 2. All prices Canadian.

I will be using it as a boot drive but I will also be putting one or two games on it, for the load times at lan parties and the such. I will move all of my "documents" "downloads" "pictures" etc. directories to a 500GB WD Black, where the rest of my games will also reside.

I would like to stay below $200 after taxes, below is even better. I am considering the OCZ Agility because of the seemingly amazing read and write performance aswell as the highest capacity. But it is at the edge of my budget and I will only get it if it is really worth it over the intel. I mean, will I feel that much difference? Also, as such, I do not mind a 30GB drive as it will still fit one or two games (19.1GB right now with my windows 7 install) but I worry about using up so much space. I also worry about the write speeds of the intel drive.

So make up your mind, explain your reasoning and solidify some of my worries and put others to rest. Thanks in advance.

If you have any other SSD suggestions from Canadian retailers, please feel free. But this is the best I could come up with, with my research.

More about : question

July 6, 2010 7:29:37 AM

I would also get the Agility 2, because a Solid 2 30 GB would seriously limit the amount of games and applications that you would want for quick boot up. I'd assume newer games will take more and more space, even my old F.E.A.R. Combat installation, a game from 2005, takes 3.6 GB IIRC which means that, say you play a game of a similar size, you'd only have enough space for a few more videos/photos and another game of a similar size.

From a psychological point of view, once you start booting up games on an SSD, you'd probably enjoy the speed so much you'd want every game that you play on an SSD. If you really only have one or two major games you play then the Solid 2 would suffice I suppose. I'm not fully sure, but load times for games are mainly based on access time, which are similar amongst all SSDs.

Agility 2 if you want a bit of future-proofing, Solid 2 if you don't play many games and Intel if you play a few games but not enough to justify the Agility.
July 6, 2010 2:42:04 PM

SSDs are still priced too high!
Anonymous
July 6, 2010 2:46:35 PM

60gb is the only usable size for boot windows 7 64bit (even then its a tad small)

Overall, a short stroked raid 0 array on 1tb drive is better performance for money spent when you consider the amount of space you still have..

Those Seagate hybrid drives are looking interesting though!!!

Overall, when prices reflect $1 per GB or less I will consider the purchase of a 250gb SSD
!