Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I can't use my core i7 9200 full capability

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 6, 2010 7:51:44 AM

Hello,
I tested a computational program with a Q9400 intel CPU and a Core i7 9200 intel CPU.
the Q9400 CPU usage gets to 100% but Core i7 CPU usage get ut until 90%. i dont know why Core i7 9200 can't run my program with its full capability?

anyone have any idea?
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:24:15 AM

The i7 (920 by the way, not 9200) is faster than the Q9400 and the program probably doesn't manage to push it all the way to 100%. It's actually a good thing.
July 6, 2010 8:16:27 PM

There are utility programs that show cpu usage by each core % usage and a time line. The XP and Win7 task manger cpu usage utility doesn't show each core' % usage, it only shows highest % of any core and doesn't provide an accurate picture with a mutliple core cpu.
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 2:08:14 AM

If the work is getting done, then you should not be worrying about the CPU usage.. In fact, lesser the CPU usage its better.. Not only it demonstrates the CPU's strength, it keeps the system responsive enough for you to perform other tasks..
July 7, 2010 1:43:58 PM

Emperus said:
If the work is getting done, then you should not be worrying about the CPU usage.. In fact, lesser the CPU usage its better.. Not only it demonstrates the CPU's strength, it keeps the system responsive enough for you to perform other tasks..

we buy the i7 920 computer just for runnig that program. if its CPU could work at 100%, the running duration will reduce. the current running duration is 30 day and if its CPU could run at 100% maybe its reduce to 25 day that's very important to me.
July 7, 2010 1:47:58 PM

We buy the i7 920 computer just for runnig that program. if its CPU could work at 100%, the running duration will reduce. the current running duration is 30 day and if its CPU could run at 100% maybe its reduce to 25 day that's very important to me.

Also, my i7 920 system has three 1Gb DDR3 ram. is it posible, because i used odd numbers of ram, the CPU couldent work at its full power?
a c 81 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 2:09:03 PM

aminilia said:
we buy the i7 920 computer just for runnig that program. if its CPU could work at 100%, the running duration will reduce. the current running duration is 30 day and if its CPU could run at 100% maybe its reduce to 25 day that's very important to me.


Assuming linear probability, 100% CPU usage will finish the work in 27 days and not 25.. Anyway, which software are you using.? 30 days is a huge schedule.. You may be better served by setting up render farms which will drastically reduce the completion timings (depending on the software and setup of course).. Memory count being even or odd does not plays any role.. However, there may be chances that your CPU is running out of data to process.. May be upgrading to a 64 bit OS and a higher RAM count will keep the CPU busy to your satisfaction..
July 7, 2010 11:25:14 PM

aminilia said:
We buy the i7 920 computer just for runnig that program. if its CPU could work at 100%, the running duration will reduce. the current running duration is 30 day and if its CPU could run at 100% maybe its reduce to 25 day that's very important to me.

Also, my i7 920 system has three 1Gb DDR3 ram. is it posible, because i used odd numbers of ram, the CPU couldent work at its full power?

Hi
there are few things
first is that maybe the program u use does not require more than 90% of the processor. which means that the program is working at its best and that is a good thing. second thing is that if u r in doubt then u can overclock the processor and see the difference in results.

as for the three stick, its fine because core i7 920 has triple channel ram and it is supposed to support these amounts. now for this system which has tripple channel, unusal number will be 4gb ram because then the ram sticks wont be equal.
hope i helped
!