5770 Clarification

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hey all i'm looking at upgrading my graphics card. i don't want to spend more than 200$ CAD with taxes, but i'm pretty savvy with graphics cards and i know that the 5770 will be my buy (for the right price).
COINCIDENTALLY, I have found the right price, so i am seriously considering buying.

a few final (and fairly simple) questions though before i buy:
1st: I'll be playing at 1920 x 1080. I've average all the benchmarks for the 5770 from 3 different sites (just to be sure), and ended up with an average of 51 FPS at what were generally the best settings. I'm pretty confident that this is a more than playable FPS rate, am I right?

2nd: Is Newegg.ca as reliable and efficient as NCIX.com. I know NCIX warehouses are in canada, but if Newegg.ca warehouses are in the US, will my stuff get taxed when it's brought over the border? (happened with soccer jerseys i purchased from the US). reason why I am asking is that the Newegg price is the same as at NCIX but the Newegg card comes with dirt 2.

3rd: How good a brand is powercolour? these are all the cards that are on sale right now, but they are generally 10-15$ cheaper than the cards of almost every other maker.

4th: This would all come to about 165$ CAD with mail-in-rebates. *I* think this is a good price. Second opinions?

Here is my system:
CPU Type QuadCore AMD Athlon X4 620, @3220 MHz (13 x 240)
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
2 x 2gb of Corsair XMS2 (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 MHz)
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT (512 MB)
Asus VH242H [24" LCD] (9BLMTF080038)
Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Windows XP Home SP3 (will likely upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit soon)

Thanks in advance
Cheers

welshmousepk

Distinguished
yes, that framerate is plenty playable. 30fps is generally considered the standard. if it starts going below that it will be noticeably choppy.

don't know about the Canada stuff im afraid.

powercolor are fine. they simply sell reference cards, so theres nothing to worry about from them.

and yes, the card will work well in your system.

lcp1109

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
hello,

1st: N/A :)

I don't think there will be any kind of taxation because of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement
), but I'm not sure (for example, if the price already includes a tax you probably will not have to pay anything else, if not you will very likely have to pay a tax in your country).Try to ask newegg, or the boarder control service of your contry, because I'm not sure.

3rd: cant tell you how good it's, because I dont know other graphic cards. I have one for about 7-8 years (but not a hd 5770 :p) and the only problem I have with it was with the cooler's fan that start making a strange and loud noise and I had to change it. Maybe you should try to see other features, I think they change from brand to brand. I'm going to buy a 5770 cucore from asus because of CPU Mode (http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=2), and because I trust a bit more on Asus products. Nut as I said, I have a power color for about 8 years and it's still working well.

4th: the best price in my country is 130€, what gives around 178 CDA, so 165€ must be a good price. And it's a power color too.