Sign in with
Your question

Cooling

Last response: in Components
July 6, 2010 8:43:51 AM

I have four system fans all blowing heat out from my system, and I am a little confused my psu is a Jeantech Arctic JN120F-600AP12V2 and blows air into the system instead of out.

So you can understand my way of thinking a large psu fan blowing air into the system and four smaller fans to remove the hot air. The only worry is that now I have installed a Geforce 8800GTX graphics card and it has its own fan just to add to the mix.

I downloaded speedfan and it got me a little worried as my GPU is running at 72C and my CPU at 61C and it worried me a bit should I change my fan configuration or is it fine. System temp seems to be levelling off around the 44-45c mark.

I left my system running for a while and no shutdowns at all so should I be worried or not.

More about : cooling

Anonymous
July 6, 2010 11:38:30 AM

That PSU you have is not a very good one at all, Had a jeantech PSU blow on me before taking the Mobo and GPU with it..

Your temps on CPU are they load or idle?

What CPU?

What MOBO?

What case?

Also, I would look at replacing the jeantech as soon as funds allow, dumping hot air into a case directly onto the CPU is rubbish design (Presuming PSU top mounted) (Or fan has been installed in PSU incorrectly and is blowing wrong way) this will increase CPU temps..

Also what CPU Cooler are you running?

Those temps are not good if it is idle temps, not killer if 100% load temps, CPU dependant!
Anonymous
July 6, 2010 11:42:48 AM

Also, 4 system fans blowing out wont help airflow, if you have case with PSU installed on top should ideally be

psu-out
rear case fan-out
top case fan (if present) -out
Side case fans -in
front case fans-in

This will allow fresh cool air in from front and sides exhausting hot air rear and top(heat rises) creating a good airflow!

4 exhuast fans will create a negative pressure in your system if the PSU fan cannot supply enough fresh air, then all the air must come from air holes and gaps in the case, not good airflow!

Totally solvable with a few tweaks!
Related resources
July 6, 2010 5:35:28 PM

The Temps are from when it was idle.

Mobo - Foxconn K8M890
Cpu - AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4400+

God knows who the case maker is as theres no names on it all. But in reference to the cpu cooler I will know that 2morrow after giving a good clean.
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 7, 2010 2:24:04 PM

I have never seen a PSU fan suck air into the case from outside.

If you have space in the case mount two of those fans as intakes on the front of the case.
Anonymous
July 8, 2010 12:54:35 PM

@jsc..

I have, the PSU has been assembled faulty, fan has been installed wrong way around, happens sometimes, they get through QA and get sold, esp in cheap PSU..

But I Have never ever heard of one being designed this way!
a c 165 ) Power supply
July 8, 2010 1:07:14 PM

i agree with JSC, i find front intakes more effective then side intakes
July 8, 2010 6:22:11 PM

Anonymous said:
Also, 4 system fans blowing out wont help airflow, if you have case with PSU installed on top should ideally be

psu-out
rear case fan-out
top case fan (if present) -out
Side case fans -in
front case fans-in

This will allow fresh cool air in from front and sides exhausting hot air rear and top(heat rises) creating a good airflow!

4 exhuast fans will create a negative pressure in your system if the PSU fan cannot supply enough fresh air, then all the air must come from air holes and gaps in the case, not good airflow!

Totally solvable with a few tweaks!

Well cleaned out my fans and redid the fan config the way you explained above and left the system running for an hour or so and speedfan tells me temps are still a little high :

GPU - 75c
CPU - 61c
System - 45c

Went to a pc store and checked if my GPU was running a little hot or if all was okay and they said that it was usual for it to be running at those temps due to its specs. Asked about the PSU its not been assembled faulty nor has the fan been installed the wrong way this is how Jeantech designed and built them and I have it installed correctly but who knows what they were thinking when they did it.

Now its time to decide on a new psu and front case fans and cpu cooler, I like the jeantech due to its squeeze and pull connectors but I think it might be advantagous to change it and the cooler supplied with the CPU which will hopefully lower the system temp and increase the systems life in the longrun.
July 8, 2010 6:30:56 PM

i would just say to get a new psu, save alot of trouble especially ass it is a rubbish one
Anonymous
July 13, 2010 12:49:08 AM

Which PC store did you go to.. its been 13 years since I installed my first PSU and still have not come across a PSU that was made to exhaust air into the case!

Replace that PSU asap, and yes front case fan replacement, can you fir a 120mm fan in front, what size fan at rear, also replace CPU cooler a good Idea.

Dont spend too much though, only on the PSU as you can use a good PSU in a new system when you come to building it!
July 13, 2010 9:09:43 AM

Went to PCWorld for the first time in years, I think they are overpriced and patronizing . Decided to build a new system its well overdue as it has been four years since my last build and I think I have gone as far as I can with the components I have.

I already have some ideas what do you think

ASUS M2N68 Mobo
OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU
Antec DF-85 Case
AMD PHENOM II X4 945 QUAD CORE Cpu
Scythe Orochi Heatpipe CPU Cooler

At the moment thats as far as I have got. I would be glad to hear any suggestions or comments you might have.
!