Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1tb hd recommendation

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • HD
  • Samsung
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
June 9, 2012 9:39:00 AM

Hello all,

I'm looking for a new 2 1tb hd for complete my raid5 setup, I have 2 samsung HD103SJ (originals) currently.
as the samsung hd devision was sold to seagate and the new HD103SJ are a rebranded ST1000DM005 it is hard to find original HD103SJs and when I do, they are quite expensive.

I'd like a recommendation to a hd model which is good and won't be a bottleneck to my current existing hds.

Thanks for your help.

More about : 1tb recommendation

a b Ô Samsung
a c 265 G Storage
June 9, 2012 4:01:21 PM

Are you sure the ST1000DM005 is not just a Seagate name for the Samsung drive, it does not exist in Seagate's lineup. http://www.seagate.com/search/?keyword=ST1000dm005
I belief we are still talking about the Samsung drive here rebranded over to Seagate.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 6:55:20 PM

RealBeast said:
I prefer identical drives if possible, Amazon seems to have them for $102 plus shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MQC0P8 (or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HD103SJ-internal-SATAII... in the UK)

as I'm not living in the us, ordering the drives from amazon/newegg/ebay is irrelevant as if one of them is dead, I have no address almost to get a replacement, also the postage fee in such case will make it not worth it.

rolli59 said:
Are you sure the ST1000DM005 is not just a Seagate name for the Samsung drive, it does not exist in Seagate's lineup. http://www.seagate.com/search/?keyword=ST1000dm005
I belief we are still talking about the Samsung drive here rebranded over to Seagate.

I don't know, the ST1000DM005 in my country is significantly less expensive.
m
0
l
June 14, 2012 3:55:49 PM

ok,
so I'm down to 3 drives:

1. the original samsung spinpoint f3 which costs 154$ and has 1 year warranty.
2. the rebranded ST1000DM005 spinpoint f3 by seagate (I know it is a rebranded as the original has two plates of 0.5 gb and the rebranded one of 1 tb) which costs 120$ and has 1 year warranty.
3. a Hitachi DeskStar 7K1000.D which costs between 127$ to 141$ with 3 years warranty.

any recommendations?

Thanks.
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 326 G Storage
June 14, 2012 5:24:10 PM

I'd go with the rebranded ST1000DM005, as out of hundreds of bare drives (excluding laptop drives) in my personal experience I have not had one fail in the one to three year range. They either fail very soon -- I expect many due to shipping trauma -- or later than 3 years.
m
0
l
June 14, 2012 6:07:51 PM

RealBeast said:
I'd go with the rebranded ST1000DM005, as out of hundreds of bare drives (excluding laptop drives) in my personal experience I have not had one fail in the one to three year range. They either fail very soon -- I expect many due to shipping trauma -- or later than 3 years.

are you sure you aren't mistaken with the 003? the 005 is a brand new line of drives following the samsung hd devision acquisition by seagate.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b Ô Samsung
a c 265 G Storage
June 14, 2012 8:53:42 PM

And produced at the Old Samsung product facilities. Next iteration will only be Seagate since no desktop drives anymore on Samsung's website nor the Seagate site http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/
Share
June 15, 2012 6:41:00 AM

rolli59 said:
And produced at the Old Samsung product facilities. Next iteration will only be Seagate since no desktop drives anymore on Samsung's website nor the Seagate site http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/

I see, so your recommendation is to get the ST1000DM005, right?
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 265 G Storage
June 15, 2012 10:59:13 AM

daggs said:
I see, so your recommendation is to get the ST1000DM005, right?

Yes.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 12:18:47 PM

ok, thanks.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 12:18:55 PM

Best answer selected by Daggs.
m
0
l
!