Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II 945 and HD5870 - Which Memory To Use?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 6:56:06 PM

Hi All

Please could someone guide me on which type of memory I would be best using.

My newly built system is based around a Phenom II 945 @ 3Ghz and a HD5870 1gb Graphics card. At the moment I have aMSI NF520T-C35 motherboard with 4gb Samsung DDR2 667Mhz ram (4x1gb sticks)

I want to know if its worth while upgrading my motherboard and memory to DDR3 or would I just be wasting my time and money. Also is my processor and graphics in any way suffering due to the memory being used.

Thanks

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 163 } Memory
a c 297 V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 8:05:30 PM

Hi.

Isn't a wasted of money, with the AM3 mobo u can get less heat and better OC settings. With the DDR3 you can get a better OC on the RAM and better performance on games and applications.
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 8:12:32 PM

Would it be nice to have an AM3 board and DDR3 RAM? Definitely. However, I don't think you'll see any noticeable increase in performance, so it isn't worth the money right now. Wait until AMD moves on to a new socket or there's a need to pick up a massive CPU.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 8:17:40 PM

My motherboard already supports AM3 but its still DDR2 - I feel like the rams a little out of date compared to the rest of the system, I just wasnt sure if it was holding back my graphics performance for gaming.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 163 } Memory
a c 297 V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 8:18:20 PM

The new AMD socket is the AM3r and comes out until 2011, U can geat a cheap and good mobo AM3 for now.
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 8:25:33 PM

@saint: Source? The only new sockets I've heard of are Intel's next two in a year...

Put it this way. I'd be surprised if the RAM was holding back performance, or at least noticeably holding it back. I certainly wouldn't run out and buy DDR3 to replace it right now. However, I also wouldn't buy any more DDR2. So if you absolutely need more RAM (which you don't), spend the extra and step up to 8 GB of DD3. Otherwise leave it alone.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 8:33:32 PM

Thanks for the responses - Thats just what I wanted to hear!
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2010 8:58:30 PM

I'm not actually sure that's a new socket. The r2 hints at it being a revision, not a replacement. With just that as evidence, I'm thinking it's more like a new chipset that will enhance the abilities of the new CPUs (think H55/H57 versus P55, not LGA1366 versus LGA775). It just doesn't fit AMD's philosophy to introduce a new socket only in the high end. If both mainstream and enthusiast markets had "AM3r2" listed, it would have been more likely to be a new socket.
!