Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CRYSIS WARHEAD on EAH4870 1Gb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2010 10:38:12 PM

hi

my CPU :INTEL 2.5 DUAL CORE , RAM : 3G , Graphics card : EAH 4870 1Gb
Every game runs perfectly ON HIGH SETTINGS (COD MW2, JUST CAUSE 2 (35 FPS)
but when i set the graphics to the maximum in CRYSIS it runs very slow........

should i change the RAM to 4G? or the GRAPHICS CARD is slow ????

April 1, 2010 10:44:02 PM

What RES?

I'm running Crysis smooth as butter maxed out on my EAH4870.

And Crysis is just the most demanding game that people auctauly play ever made, period.
a c 1407 U Graphics card
April 1, 2010 10:44:10 PM

It looks like your CPU is slow(maybe overclock) another GB would help.
Related resources
April 1, 2010 10:57:29 PM

Rolli, I'm running an ideticle setup and i'm fine at 1680x1050 maxed.
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 1:22:17 AM

builderbobftw said:
Rolli, I'm running an ideticle setup and i'm fine at 1680x1050 maxed.

i don't belive that.

with a 5870 and a quad core i only get 30fps with the game maxed. your system is half as powerful, so i dont see how you get get the same or better performance.

unless you are playing in dx9 mode, which is definetly not maxed.
April 2, 2010 1:24:51 AM

welshmousepk said:
i don't belive that.

with a 5870 and a quad core i only get 30fps with the game maxed. your system is half as powerful, so i dont see how you get get the same or better performance.

unless you are playing in dx9 mode, which is definetly not maxed.

I'm Playing Crysis Warhead at 1680x1050, Enthusist settings.

And Half as powerfull?

Have you ever heard of diminshing returns?

And you're Quad core is useless for gaming.
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 1:47:08 AM

Not for crysis, it's one of the few games that really likes extra cores.

Diminishing returns is all well and good, but I do not believe that rig will have the same performance as my own, which is twice as powerful (if not moreso)
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 1:48:45 AM

Somehow i too find certain claims made above difficult to believe.. I too posses a 4870 1 GB and an E6750 overclocked to 3.2 GHz along with 4 GB CAS 4 corsair ram.. I played with all possible settings and found the most smoothest experience with gamer mode, 4X AA, 8X AF and resolution 1360 x 768..
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 1:48:59 AM

Somehow i too find certain claims made above difficult to believe.. I too posses a 4870 1 GB and an E6750 overclocked to 3.2 GHz along with 4 GB CAS 4 corsair ram.. I played with all possible settings and found the most smoothest experience with gamer mode, 4X AA, 8X AF and resolution 1360 x 768..
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 2:29:02 AM

builderbobftw said:
I'm Playing Crysis Warhead at 1680x1050, Enthusist settings.

And Half as powerfull?

Have you ever heard of diminshing returns?

And you're Quad core is useless for gaming.

That is unlikely unless you have post-processing on gamer settings or AA turned very low/off, you won't be getting good fps at 1680x1050.

In my OCed dual core system @ 3.6GHz, I have a 4870 1GB Toxic and I barely average about 30-35 fps in Crysis Warhead with all enthusiast settings, AA at x2 and 1280x1024 resolution.

At enthusiast settings and 1680x1050, if AA is on and/or if post-processing is at enthusiast, the fps dip will cause it to be nearly unplayable.
April 2, 2010 4:34:44 PM

I have AA off, I never said I have it on.

I have all settings on enthusaiast, at 1680x1050, and it works fine.

If you don't belive me, you can gtfo.
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 4:44:43 PM

@ OP your CPU is alittle on the slow side. But Crysis is the most demanding game (or is it metro 2033 now?) Anyway I wouldn't base your PC off one game, if it plays other games fine then just be happy.

builderbobftw your completely wrong.

I had a E8400 (C2D) @ 4Ghz a HD4870 and 4 GB of RAM and could just get playable frame rates playing Crysis on high settings (not very high) DX9, No AA @ 1920 x 1080. I'm talking 25-45FPS

Either you find 10FPS playable or your lying
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 4:53:02 PM

done with 4ghz i7 975

or should i draw pictures
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 4:56:56 PM

I take it those benches were done with an overclocked core i7 and 6GB of DDR3 :) 

Don't think they were done with an E6600 at stock :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 5:04:58 PM

done with i7 975 at 4ghz
April 2, 2010 5:14:21 PM

Rustyy117 said:
@ OP your CPU is alittle on the slow side. But Crysis is the most demanding game (or is it metro 2033 now?) Anyway I wouldn't base your PC off one game, if it plays other games fine then just be happy.

builderbobftw your completely wrong.

I had a E8400 (C2D) @ 4Ghz a HD4870 and 4 GB of RAM and could just get playable frame rates playing Crysis on high settings (not very high) DX9, No AA @ 1920 x 1080. I'm talking 25-45FPS

Either you find 10FPS playable or your lying

Dude, How am I worng?

Just shut up.

1. I have 4gb more RAM than you.

2. I play at a lower Res.

3. I've tweaked settings in ccc to get like 20 frames.

You can stop calling me a lair just about now.
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 5:19:44 PM

your pretty bad at maths :lol: 

8 - 3 = 5............. not 4 :) 

You play at a slighly lower res, and if you look at the charts posted above you'd only be getting 26.4FPS if you had a Core i7 @ 4Ghz which you don't

Maybe you should have explained that you've tweaked settings in CCC in the post where you said you can play it at max.....
April 2, 2010 5:29:00 PM

Not realy tweaked, just disbaled triple buffering etc.

and 8-4=4.

(You said you had 4 in old build, pay attention to what you say, no one else does)
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 5:36:18 PM

builderbobftw said:
Not realy tweaked, just disbaled triple buffering etc.

and 8-4=4.

(You said you had 4 in old build, pay attention to what you say, no one else does)

And you really think people listen and believe your lies :pt1cable: 

Crysis doesnt tax 3GB let alone 4GB (uses about 2.3GB). Anyway All im saying is I don't believe you. Which is just my opinion, so no need to get up tight about it. You enjoy Crysis on "max" settings :D 
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 5:48:56 PM

builderbobftw said:
I have AA off, I never said I have it on.

I have all settings on enthusaiast, at 1680x1050, and it works fine.

If you don't belive me, you can gtfo.

Gtfo? Wow, the liar is getting defensive now...

Sorry pal, I believe in benchmarks, not bullsh*t.
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 6:10:01 PM

i just bout manage crysis on 1920x1080 4aa with 2x5850

before that a 5870 on 1680x1050 4aa

before that 4870 toxic cross fire 1680x1050 4aa(used the 720 here a while too )

all with amd 965@3.8ghz

before that 4870x2 1680x1050 4aa (done with e7400@4ghz and amd 720@3.6ghz)

all on enthusiast settings and i was averaging 40-45fps

i like a lil overhead on fps

dunno how you managed it with an e6600 and a 4870
April 2, 2010 9:32:08 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
Gtfo? Wow, the liar is getting defensive now...

Sorry pal, I believe in benchmarks, not bullsh*t.

Dude, just shut up.

You can't prove that i'm lying, becuase im not.

All you did is how me a bench where there was a playable 1680x1050 Crysis configuration with the VGA I have at the same settings.

CPU doesn't affect FPS, since my CPU doesn't bottleck my VGA, It doesn't matter if I have a E6600, a i7-930, or a i7-980X.

THink before you flame asshole.
a c 1407 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 1:05:10 AM

BOB easy!
April 3, 2010 2:10:35 AM

No, but he's calling me a lair with:

1. No proof. All proof has pointed to me so far.

2. The word "benefit of the doubt" just doesn't exist with him does it?
a c 1407 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 2:32:10 AM

builderbobftw said:

You got into an argument that does not get anywhere, that is no reason to use bad language and call people names.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 2:40:14 AM

yes, the CPU does effect framerates. ESPECIALLY in crysis.

if you want to post some benchmarks thats fine, but don't mislead the OP with false performance. that rig cannot max out crysis with a framerate at a decent level.

if you want to come into someone elses thread posting about performance, its not up to us to prove you wrong, its your responsibility to prove you are telling the truth (at least when you are posting something that us experienced guys know doesn't sound right)

again, my system can barely play crysis maxed out. i have a quad core at 3.6 and an overclocked 5870. so to say that you can max out the game on a system thats half as powerful just doesn't make sense. im not saying you are a liar, most likely you are just wrong.

by 'playable' its generally accepted we refer to a minimum 30fps, 'maxed' means all available graphics options on or at the highest level (not including AA/AF).
and obviously, any special configs/mods that change the game performance therefore would no longer class as being maxed.

now, sorry to derail the topic. @OP, both your GPU and CPU are a little weak for crysis. its a hugeley demanding game. you have enoguh RAM, but if you want to max out the game, you need a quad core and a new GPU (ideally)
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 4:50:48 AM

builderbobftw said:

1. Lair is spelled liar.

2. All I said was you're unlikely to get good fps unless you have settings such as AA disabled and PP lowered.
Then you tell me to gtfo if I don't believe you. At that point, it seems to me you are indeed bullsh*tting.
The proof against your argument is in the countless benchmarks done by different websites, including Tomshardware.
Obsidian86 posted a benchmark chart that supported what I stated.

builderbobftw said:
Dude, just shut up.
You can't prove that i'm lying, becuase im not.
All you did is how me a bench where there was a playable 1680x1050 Crysis configuration with the VGA I have at the same settings.
CPU doesn't affect FPS, since my CPU doesn't bottleck my VGA, It doesn't matter if I have a E6600, a i7-930, or a i7-980X.
THink before you flame asshole.

3. You're accusing me of flaming yet you're calling me an asshole and telling me to shut up up because I don't believe you? From your posts, you seem to be the an arrogant and ignorant douchebag.
April 3, 2010 2:07:24 PM

Allright, Here's an identicle card running Crysis with 8aa, to my 0aa. And Granted, it has a few more frames, but unless there is a CPU bottleneck (my 4870 is the bottlenck, not my CPU), then the CPU has Zero effect on frames.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 2:15:06 PM

you do realize

more aa = less fps
April 3, 2010 2:28:22 PM

Yep.

Wich is why my cliam is valid, becuase the bench shows someone playign the same game with more aa and with the same card and it working.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 2:39:43 PM

if you look at my original post

no aa
April 3, 2010 2:45:07 PM

Still proves my point, I'm playing at same settings with the same card and with Triple Buffering and Vsync disablled.
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 4:03:59 PM

You really think that a core i7 @4Ghz and 6GB of triple channel RAM wouldn't increase your FPS?

A fast CPU makes alot of difference to a game like Crysis, even if there isn't a CPU bottleneck.

Having Vsync disabled wont increase your FPS, All it does is cap your FPS to your monitors refresh rate to provent screen tearing.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 6:09:52 PM

Rustyy117 said:
You really think that a core i7 @4Ghz and 6GB of triple channel RAM wouldn't increase your FPS?

A fast CPU makes alot of difference to a game like Crysis, even if there isn't a CPU bottleneck.

Having Vsync disabled wont increase your FPS, All it does is cap your FPS to your monitors refresh rate to provent screen tearing.

A fast CPU does NOT make a lot of difference in Crysis, neither do extra cores.

Granted, the benchmark is quite dated and running on DX9, but it's enough to show that Crysis is a highly GPU-dependent game.
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 6:39:58 PM

hmmm...Your link doesnt work skolpo, just says "No Deeplinking please!"

Anyway my point still stands, faster CPU and RAM will increase FPS and when your on the edge of playability E.G. 26FPS it makes alot of difference.

I noticed roughly 4-6FPS increase going from a C2D E8400 @ 4Ghz to a Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz in Crysis using a XpertVision HD4870 which isn't bad, and certainly noticable. Maybe some of the difference is due to faster RAM aswell.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 6:54:30 PM

Rustyy117 said:
hmmm...Your link doesnt work skolpo, just says "No Deeplinking please!"

Anyway my point still stands, faster CPU and RAM will increase FPS and when your on the edge of playability E.G. 26FPS it makes alot of difference.

I noticed roughly 4-6FPS increase going from a C2D E8400 @ 4Ghz to a Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz in Crysis using a XpertVision HD4870 which isn't bad, and certainly noticable. Maybe some of the difference is due to faster RAM aswell.

I didn't provide a link. It was an image (graph chart). It shows that with two, three, or four cores at varying clock speeds, a CPU makes insignificant difference in frame rate. I won't refute your personal experience between a C2D and an i7 since I can't find any information on it. I doubt RAM will hardly make a difference either, especially at 1920x1200 or lower resolutions.
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 7:18:04 PM

Bob, According to ATi, you should have Vsync and triple buffering on, not off.

In CCC when hovering your cursor over "Triple buffering" it says "Improves the frame rate of games when vertical sync is enabled and the frame rate is less the refresh rate" So unless you have your refresh rate really low then you should have both enabled.

You said "I've tweaked settings in ccc to get like 20 frames." Yeah right,....
April 3, 2010 9:03:22 PM

What do you mean "Yeah right"

I could prolly get the frames without.

You're just an argumentive douche, and you're angry that all evidence has pointed agaisnt you.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 9:33:37 PM

Ok, all of you STFU.

@bob: Download FRAPS and post pics/recording. Pics or GTFO.

@every one: Take a chill pill.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 9:56:15 PM

skolpo said:
A fast CPU does NOT make a lot of difference in Crysis, neither do extra cores.

http://pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2008/09/Crysis_Warhead_Core_scaling_HD4870_1680x1050.png

Granted, the benchmark is quite dated and running on DX9, but it's enough to show that Crysis is a highly GPU-dependent game.

you are wrong.

just because a game is GPU dependent, doesn;t mean the CPU has no work to do. it not only has to process all the stuff being sent to the GPU, but has to calculate physics, lighting, AI, sound, and any number of other things.

a more powerful CPU means these things take less of a toll on the framerate.

this is starting to get frustrating now, since you two oobviously have no idea how a game, or a pc, works. you are simply embarrasing yourselves and wasting our time.
April 3, 2010 10:18:37 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Ok, all of you STFU.
http://axiomamuse.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/stfu.jpg
@bob: Download FRAPS and post pics/recording. Pics or GTFO.

@every one: Take a chill pill.

Allright. How do I take a creen cap in Fraps? (I have the program)

And I'm gonna clean dus toff HSF, repply thermal compund, See if I can get my card running.
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 10:23:14 PM

f10
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 10:23:54 PM

Think Its best if you make a video so we know your not cheating :p 
April 3, 2010 11:37:33 PM

As of Now I am cleaning the dust of my card, reappklying theraml compund, and chraging my camera.

Can I put the video on the fourms directly or on Youtube first?
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2010 12:42:34 AM

welshmousepk said:
you are wrong.

just because a game is GPU dependent, doesn;t mean the CPU has no work to do. it not only has to process all the stuff being sent to the GPU, but has to calculate physics, lighting, AI, sound, and any number of other things.

a more powerful CPU means these things take less of a toll on the framerate.

this is starting to get frustrating now, since you two oobviously have no idea how a game, or a pc, works. you are simply embarrasing yourselves and wasting our time.

You're the one who sounds like the one making things up. I never said the CPU does nothing in a GPU dependent game. Why would anyone even say that? I'm saying that the frame rate is not significantly impacted by cores and CPU speed past 2.6GHz in CRYSIS. Unless you're running something like HD5870s in Crossfire, you won't see the CPU come into play in terms of bottlenecking or performance boost with an average card like the 4870 in any rig. Don't be insulting people if you're not using any counter evidence to what many benchmarks have shown already. If you can show me a graph that shows significant difference in 1680x1050 or higher in Crysis and Crysis alone (I never argued about any other game because obviously other games are impacted differently by the CPU) due to extra cores and increased processor speed then you can call me whatever you want. Until then, I'll let the graphs speak for themselves.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with...
Comparison between dual and quad cores in varying clock speeds. Shows little or no fps change in higher resolutions.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,661004/Crysis-Warhea...
Also a core comparison with overclocking. Shows miniscule changes.

http://www.techspot.com/article/73-crysis-performance/p...
Dual cores at different clock speeds. Little or no change

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,685602/20-GPU-CPU-se...
An extensive research using 25 different CPU-GPU setups, all showing that the CPU made little difference in Crysis benchmarks.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/cpu_b...
More dual core scaling with same results. "If you have a 2.2 GHz (or faster) dual-core CPU and are unsasitisfied with your framerates, its your GPU holding you back, not your CPU."

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182806/p-6.html
Benchmark comparison for CPU clocks and RAM, both yielding same results.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/cpu_scalin...
Core i7 920 paired with an HD5970. Different speeds, same frames per second.

"Crysis Warhead lives up to its reputation: The graphics card definitely is the limiting factor. Taking the results of the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ as a base, the framerate is slightly increased when the game is run on a Core 2 Duo E 6600, but practically this benefit is insignificant. If you want to speed up Crysis Warhead, you primarily should upgrade the graphics card. "

If you really want to argue with numbers, then go for it.
And I never backed up bob's claims about his FPS with his rig since I don't believe it's true either.
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2010 12:57:49 AM

Your 'evidence' is comparing two different dual cores. I'm on my phone right now, so can't find any benches, but I can assure you a qaus makes a difference in crysis. When I initially unlocked my 550 to a quad, I gained more than ten frames with my 4890. And when I overclocked to 3.6 a gained a few more. And there was obviously not a bottleneck there.
April 4, 2010 1:15:07 AM

HOW DO I GET THE VIDEO FROM MY COMPUTER TO THE FOURM

And A Quad won't help unless you're running a 5970 Quadfire.
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2010 1:18:53 AM

CPU doesn't do much for crysis, it is mostly graphics intensive but a Core 2 might have trouble with it at stock speeds.

Only games that run advanced CPU based physics and optimized for quad cores like Bad Company 2 would see real gains with CPU.

Honestly the 4870 isn't all that powerful. I never played with max settings at 1680x1050 resolution. I think we just have a different definition of smooth. 30FPS is considered playable but I personally would avoid anything under 60FPS.
April 4, 2010 1:20:26 AM

I someone could help my get the vid on the fourm, you could see I was at liek 20frames most of the time.
!