Cannot load Null.sys installation problem!

shaxs

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Hello,

I have win98 installed and went to do dual boot with windows 2000. After I ran the setup in windows 98, I did the options copy all files to hard drive. I then rebooted and it does the initial stuff liek which partition to install to ect. Then, I reboot liek it asks and it gets to the windows 2000 screen with the little status bar at the botton. It goes to a blue screen that says it cannot load Null.sys and I cant get past it. HOW do I fix this? I need to get a more stable os! Thanks!

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=blue>"...I have win98 installed and went to do dual boot with windows 2000. After I ran the setup in windows 98, I did the options copy all files to hard drive. I then rebooted ... It goes to a blue screen ... and I cant get past it. . HOW do I fix this? I need to get a more stable os!"</font color=blue>
Hi, shaxs:

I think that Win2000 is relatively stable OS, and if your hardware and the CD are OK, then Win2000 installation goes smoothly without problems.

Before installing Win2000:
1 – check that your installation Win2000 CD is not damaged and your CD-ROM works properly (from Win98 session make a test copy of the CD to an empty space on a harddrive or copy to null);
2 – double check your harddrive for sufficient space and absence of bad sectors, run Scandisk and Defrag on Win98 partition and FORMAT /U on the partition you going to install the Win2000;
you should make sure, of course, that your system:
3 - meets the minimum system requirements (read the ReadMe.txt file on your CD, run WinNT32\CheckUpgradeOnly to test your machine);
4 – meets the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL); you should consult Microsoft’s web site for most up-to-date HCL, and also your vendor for latest Win2000-compatible drivers.
It would be good to know that the problem has been already resolved before this post.