Thermal Paste

robinforum

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I just bought a new rig and have finished setting it up, including the application of thermal paste
in between the HSF and the CPU. I am aware of the curing needed for the thermal paste and I have
some questions about it.

1. Is it a rule of thumb that you should run the computer right after applying the thermal paste?
I have heard that the curing time usually takes about 20 hours, but some have 5 hours or less.

2. What could happen if you do not run the computer after applying it?

It's been three (3) days since I have assembled my computer but I still have not installed the
operating system (windows 7 64-bit) since I am really busy at school.

Should I be worried regarding the curing thing as it might affect voids in between HSF/CPU
or even the temperature?

Should I re-apply the thermal paste when I am about to install the OS?

Don't worry about it, it will cure as you're using the machine.

G

As long as you have applied the Thermal Paste in the correct manor, evenly, not to thin and not to thick, then don't worry, just use the PC..

Some TIM compounds do require a curing time, but it means that the temps go down or get better over the curing time, most by a few degrees or so, but the CPU will be properly cooled from the first switch on..

You don't mention what TIM you have used, by knowing this we will be able to tell you if it has a Cure time or not, for example, I use Arctic MX-3, no cure time!

robinforum

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I used the stock TIM of my HSF, Oceaner 5 Boss II..
I think the TIM is also known as PcCooler A1 Silver Thermal Paste..
Haven't checked any reviews regarding it.. The seller said the stock TIM
is already great so I didn't mind buying a separate TIM..

Another question: what is the un-abbreviated word for TIM?

Thermal Interface Material

That Oceaner 5 Boss II is an impressive looking cooler, it probably comes with a thermal compound close and comparable to Artic Silver 5, it will be nice to see your results using it, as apparently its not available in the US as of yet.

Will you be doing any future overclocking with your setup?

G

TIM- Thermal Interface Material

Cannot find any reviews of PcCooler tim, but has thermal conductivity rating at >7.5W/m-k

My arctic MX-3 has 8.2W/m-k so its not bad at all, nothing about cure time, so dont worry about that!

The PcCooler TIM you have used has a 25% Silver content, so it will be electrically conductive, so be aware of spills or excess TIM, can cause shorts if it bridges components (Only a small risk if you have got the stuff everywhere or placed far too much on CPU)

G

Forgot to say, you LUCK LUCKY MAN, that is a very nice cooler indeeed, better than my ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme, I wanted one of those but no luck sourcing one here in UK, settled with ZALMAN due to its FANMATE functions and superb cooling under low RPM>

You will get awesome temps using that cooler..

What case are you using, whats the airflow like in your case, and what CPU are you cooling?

G

Hello 4ryan6

That is one very nice cooler robinforum has got there, have you read the reviews of it on frostytech (still the best place for all cooler related news and reviews)

It is seriously impressive!

@ Moricon

The results are impressive, the only thing I see right off I don't like about it, is the rubber fan mounts, just like the Xigmatek S-1283 I own, that I've been unsuccessfully trying to track down replacements for a while now.

The issue is every time you need to remove the heat sink for any reason the fan has to be removed, and the rubber mounts begin to fail.

Being able to procure replacement rubber fan mounts would be my only concern, it performs very well.