Sign in with
Your question

Critique $700 first time build please

Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2010 9:17:02 PM

Okay so I am really considering building my first ever PC but before I make any purchases I thought I would would ask If anyone noticed any problems in the choices I have made, such as hardware in-compatibility or bad reviews, etc. So here is the list of the main components:

ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770

AMD Phenom II x2 Castillo 3.1 GHz

GSkill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333

WD Caviar Blue 320 GB HHD (Bare; is this a bad idea for a first timer?)

CORSAIR SMPSU 650TX Watt psu

XFX 9800 GT

Cooler Master 690 mid-tower case

LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24NS50 (OEM; once again, is a bare/oem purchase a bad idea for a first timer?)

And of course, Windows 7 Premium 64 bit

Your time, help and comments are all greatly appreciated. I hope there aren't too many problems with this build but if there are I appreciate you all pointing them out now before I make a dumb mistake. Games I play/plan to play are CSS, DOD:S, HL2, Newer COD games and perhaps Battlefield BC 2. The total price, including an extra SATA cable and anti-static wrist strap comes to a little over $700, which is the most I feel like I can spend at the moment, if that.
April 28, 2010 9:34:11 PM

If I was you I would simply get the store to build the PC for you as there are plenty of traps for the first time builder. Practice on some old PC's so you know what you are doing before embarking on your first build.
m
l
April 28, 2010 10:08:49 PM

1) Switch your hard drive to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB. Similar priced and better performance.

2) Switch you GPU to an ATI 4850, which will provide better performance.

As for help in the build, read through my step-by-step guide in my signature and read through shortstuff_mt's sticky, which gives you things to watch out for during the build.
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2010 4:21:01 AM

Wamphryi said:
If I was you I would simply get the store to build the PC for you as there are plenty of traps for the first time builder. Practice on some old PC's so you know what you are doing before embarking on your first build.

I disagree. As long as the OP does a little research and maybe watches a youtube guide or two, he should be fine. I don't know what traps you might be referring to, but if he remembers to be gentle with all the components, reads the motherboard manual as he goes and double-checks all his connections before powering up, he shouldn't have any trouble. When I built my first PC years ago, I had no prior experience but encountered no problems. Building your own PC isn't as hard as some suggest. And even if he does encounter hassles, the satisfaction of going DIY is well worth it!

Oh, and +1 to tecmo34's HDD and GPU recommendations.
m
l
April 29, 2010 1:27:40 PM

I'm not an expert on pieces yet as I am just building my first, but I would say certainly go for building your own. If you don't do it a first time, you never will! And I'd agree there is quite a bit of satisfaction...
m
l
Anonymous
April 29, 2010 2:27:49 PM

first of all do not buy a antistatic wristband its a waste of money i have built 30 plus computer and have never used one and all of my parts have been good. secondly upgrade the processor to a phenom II x3 its worth the extra money. and always go with ati for graphics nowadays nvidia hasnt come out with anything worth buying in quite a long time get a 4850.
m
l
!