The Battle of the Ages: 5770 Crossfire Vs. 5850!

AMW1011

Distinguished
First things first, and I must ask, why does Palit have it's own damn sub-category while no other AIB does?! :pt1cable:

Now, on to the point of the thread.

One of my 8800 GTS 512mbs died recently and so I am looking for the funds for an upgrade.

I think I have settled on $350 as the absolute maximum I can spends, if I can even do that.

So I have been looking up these cards and deliberating for awhile. If you know me at all, you know I'm all about the details in comparing products and have been researching thoroughly.

So it seems that dual 5770s are pretty close to a 5870, they equal it a lot and beat it sometimes while being beaten by it too.

Logic would tell us that the 5850 is only 10% slower than a 5870 when clocked to the same levels because of a 10% reduction in shaders. Since both can clock to about 1 GHz on the core pretty easily (or with minor voltage change), I would be willing to bet that the 5850 is at most 10% behind the 5870, but only where the shaders scale perfectly which may not happen all of the time.

Now since the 5850 is only 10% slower than the dual 5770 set up and have more consistent performance and the ability to crossfire later for me, the 5850 would be the best bet.

Here are the cards I am comparing:

2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490&cm_re=5770-_-14-127-490-_-Product or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102864&cm_re=5770-_-14-102-864-_-Product

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127500&cm_re=5850-_-14-127-500-_-Product

I am not sure which cards allow voltage changing, I know the MSI cards do natively and you can modify the software for other boards, but I'm not sure which, so if you could elaborate for me then that would be great.

Now, look here:
perfrel.gif

My old dual 8800 GTS 512mb cards in SLI are slightly faster or about the same as a GTX 280, so a 5850 should give me a 10% performance boost while dual 5770s should give me between a 10-14% performance boost over my old cards. Because of the nature of buying used, lack of DX11, the ability to crossfire another later, and the increased overclock-ability of the 5850 over SLI'd 8800 GTS 512mbs, I would say it is a decent upgrade.

Note that I likely won't upgrade much, and will only add another 5850 when they are <$200 (possibly not too far off considering their age).

Do you think it is worth the 3x higher price tag over another 8800 GTS 512mb? Which is better, dual 5770s or a 5850? Over all what do you guys think?

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
I would go for the 5850 with good cooling and overclock!

The 5770's are a tempting choice, but the fact that you'd be maxed out already is a downer.

I'd go with the single card now and get the other when prices drop as you've mentioned.

I think that's what I'm going to do to replace my 3870 Trifire setup....

notty22

Distinguished
I pointed to this 5770 Hawk crossfire review in another thread.
He tests them single/crossfire. Takes one apart. O/C 's them in crossfire, shows great scaling, and great o/c. To me , they are very tempting. Because of the raw power,
for the same initial cost of that 5850. You probably won't ever need any more, and you will always be under budget. Leaving the option open to add another 300 dollar card is not really a feasible option for MY budget scenarios.
http://www.overclock.net/ati/683034-bo_punk-review-msi-5770-hawk-cf.html
If you don't need both sell one, but you have had serious power before so you know what your getting in to.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Jesus Christ notty, that's a good find.

I'm emailing MSI right now to get to the bottom of the differences between the 5770 Hawk and 5850 Twin Frozr II, besides the obvious double bandwidth and extra 640 SPs of the 5850.

If the 5850 Twin Frozr II is built to be as good an overclocker as the 5770 Hawk I'll get it, if not then the 5770 Hawks are looking great.

Crysis 1920x1200 @ Very high ~45 FPS average at 1070 core and 1350 mem. is insane for $350.

Now imagine 2 5850s @ 1000+ Core and 1300+ memory!

Oh no, my inner enthusiast is calling.... Last time that happened I ended up with 2 8800 GTS 512MBs for $350 each overclocked to well over current GTS 250 speeds...

Seems those 8800GTS's lasted you 6 years though, eh?

Anyways, I'd personally go for a single HD5850. Dual 5770s are great, but you're limited in terms of upgradeability, and an HD5850 actually has good (stock, mind you) gains over an HD5770.

Also, the HAWK edition uses military grade parts, probably. MSI is well-known for that.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Why it seems to me that LOT of nVidia cards die after some period (like 2/3 years) but I dont hear a lot of ATI owners asking for upgrade advice because their ATI died?

Could be just me.

Anyway - Go single 5850. Always better using single card instead of crossfire. Microstuttering, not scaling well, waiting on profiles etc are the problems you will face inevitably.

5850 is about 20% slower on average (not OCed) but you can pair it with another later. Also it will grant you playability in EVERY game up to FULL HD (except the stupid metro but it wont run an anything anyway)

Go single 5850 and then crossfire 1year later (or whenever you feel you cant max out games). Thats my advice. I am using 5850 since October and I AM SIMPLY LOVING IT MORE AND MORE :)

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Ehm wouldn't new 8800gts (or the gtx-250) be really cheap and offering enough performance?

I would probably buy a used nvidia card and save the money for a realy big upgrade in 1 or two years or when competition between Nvidia and Ati starts again and prices drop.

It's all in the wording mate and when someone asks something in that manner I tend to feel that it's only right to respond in kind. [:mousemonkey]

As for why they have their own forum, I would have thought that was fairly obvious (especially for those who claim to be more knowledgeable than others) BOM is after all a commercial enterprise and as such is about making money. I find it highly amusing that several people have questioned why that forum exists and yet every page on this forum is plastered with ads which are also serving a similar purpose, which is to bring in the cash! There is also an Antec sub forum as well but no one seems to have noticed that or they just are not complaining about it because it has nothing to do with Nvidia.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Umm... well they lasted me 3 years... because they came out in 2007.

Yeah both the Hawk and Twin Frozr II use military grade parts.

It was my fault. I knew the 196.75 drivers were bad and were throttling my fan speed to 37% no matter what, but they were the only drivers that allowed for any form of SLI scaling in BFBC2. Besides, my cards were well monitored and are known to have more cooling than they need so I thought it was okay. Well I forgot to check the temperatures on the VRAM chips. So yeah, it was my own dumb fault.

Yeah 2 5850s at 1GHz+ on the core and 1.3GHz+ on the memory is a very, very beautiful thought.

Heh, you know if it wasn't you I would likely be offended, but you tend to be a bit too serious. It was a joke, a humerus observation. If you think about, at least for me the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it was "Wow are Palit cards having so many problems that they have their own sub-category?", so I suppose that marketing is quite bad marketing. No offense meant MM, you just come off a bit too serious, but perhaps its just this flawed form of communication where we automatically have to give a tone of voice to everything we read in our heads because there is no tone to be read.

A lot of people on this forum take things far too seriously I however am not one of them although many don't seem to realise that as they are too caught up in their own little fantasies of how the world should be run. And no, that's not a swipe at you or anyone else in particular but more of an observation of the attitudes pervading the THG forums these days.