Sign in with
Your question

Usb keyboard not working during boot

Last response: in Motherboards
January 11, 2011 2:53:25 PM

I have a Dell E521, it has NO PS2 PORTS IN THE BACK. Every time I attempt to enter BIOS the Keyboard doesn't power on! I've tried multiple keyboards and a usb to ps2 adapter with even more keyboards. There is no OS on the Hard drive. Also the boot sequence seems to goto the Harddrive first, I can't change that because I can't get into BIOS. I've been trying to put an OS on the computer for days now and searching the web for an answer.
a c 212 V Motherboard
January 11, 2011 3:18:46 PM

Have you tried connecting your keyboard to various USB ports, including those on the front of your system? Does anything appear on the screen when you power the system on?

Also, if you place a bootable CD or DVD into the optical drive and there is no OS on the HDD, it should detect that condition and boot from the CD/DVD. Not to insult you, but have you tried that as well?

Good luck!
m
l
January 11, 2011 9:23:16 PM

Yes I've tried connecting to every port, one of the front ones is broken though. Also after the BIOS screen there just is a white | and it just sits there. And yes I have tried putting a bootable disc in
m
l
Related resources
a c 212 V Motherboard
January 11, 2011 9:26:37 PM

Power down. Pull the CMOS/BIOS battery to hard reset the BIOS and see if it helps.
m
l
January 11, 2011 9:46:35 PM

I have already tried pulling out the CMOS battery, overnight. I thought it would help but it only asked to enter setup which I can't do. Yeah...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2011 11:00:53 PM

I suspect your not hitting the right key to get into the bios. My keyboard dont light up til after post but if I hit the right key I can get into bios. try, Delete, ESC, F1, F2, Maybe even f8. Also look at the motherboard capacitors if any are bulging you USBs could be toast.

By pressing F12 you should get a boot options menu, then you can choose the CD to boot from.
m
l
January 11, 2011 11:14:04 PM

If your keyboard is still not working, unplug everything that uses USB except your keyboard , both outside and inside the case, thing's like memory card readers and/or weird add'ons etc..., then powerup your computer and take another shot at it.

hope this help's , i have clients, with computers similar to yours and this problem occured a few times,
unpluging all usb devices and turning on computer always worked in the past.

Good luck, and let me know.

m
l
January 12, 2011 1:51:08 AM

Ok now after BIOS it is saying about: Disk 0 seek failure Keyboard failure press f1 to continue or f2 to enter setup (I wish). Also I tried unplugging everything and nothing worked. Is the mobo defective and should I just start seeking a replacement one?
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
January 12, 2011 2:33:31 AM

Seems like the mobo is toast at this point, unfortunately.
m
l
January 12, 2011 11:27:28 PM

Try the following, just in case, make sure your keyboard is good by trying it on another computer.

also don't use a usb extension cable, plug keyboard directly to the use ports at the back,
not some sort of added usb port bracket.

Like before unplug anything not neccesary.

Turn on monitor then computer and it F2 , HAS SOON you see DELL blue LOGO, keep hitting the F2 key,
until either you get into it, or you ear some beep's, then wait and see, if you can get into the cmos settings.

Also do you have some sort of diagnostics led warnings ?

let me know.

Later
m
l
September 19, 2012 8:42:31 AM

DcMan1 said:
Try the following, just in case, make sure your keyboard is good by trying it on another computer.

also don't use a usb extension cable, plug keyboard directly to the use ports at the back,
not some sort of added usb port bracket.

Like before unplug anything not neccesary.

Turn on monitor then computer and it F2 , HAS SOON you see DELL blue LOGO, keep hitting the F2 key,
until either you get into it, or you ear some beep's, then wait and see, if you can get into the cmos settings.

Also do you have some sort of diagnostics led warnings ?

let me know.

Later

-------------
i heared beep sound then it wanted current password but my system doesnt have any; i pressed esc it sayed your pass is incorrect then i pressed f2 again nothing happend i had one choice "start windos normaly" :sarcastic: 
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2012 7:19:03 PM

Xata27 said:
I have a Dell E521, it has NO PS2 PORTS IN THE BACK. Every time I attempt to enter BIOS the Keyboard doesn't power on! I've tried multiple keyboards and a usb to ps2 adapter with even more keyboards. There is no OS on the Hard drive. Also the boot sequence seems to goto the Harddrive first, I can't change that because I can't get into BIOS. I've been trying to put an OS on the computer for days now and searching the web for an answer.

Hi, This was driving me crazy until I saw on another forum to try an original Dell keyboard, which I did and straight away the keyboard worked and I could enter the BIOS and adjust it.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2012 1:07:07 AM

I recently acquired a Dell E521 and it had a Dell brand PSU of only 264 watts. After replacing it with a 620 watt PSU, it worked just fine (you can't get all the screws to fit in the casing, the Dell have specifc type fittings but two is enough to hold the PSU in place).

I use Dell keyboard and mouse, they do work better.
m
l
December 4, 2012 7:24:30 PM

u only need to check your keyboard cable by opening your Dell E521 cover , maybe the cable need to be change.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 1:58:19 AM

Did you find a solution to this problem?
m
l
!