• Drivers
  • Connection
  • Computers
  • Ethernet Card
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
January 14, 2013 7:21:23 AM

Hello,
I am not very adept at working on my computer but I am trying. For reasons I have yet figured out, my computer crashed 5 days ago. All gone, turned it on and it said "no operating system found". I re-installed my copy of Windows XP and everything went fine. Until I tried to connect to the internet. I am unable to connect. At first the modem wasnt registering. We fixed that now it is not recognizing the ethernet cable?? We have downloaded the required driver (from my other PC) and installed it with no luck. HELP!!!

More about : ethernet driver issues

January 14, 2013 7:25:37 AM

CarlaWalker said:
Hello,
I am not very adept at working on my computer but I am trying. For reasons I have yet figured out, my computer crashed 5 days ago. All gone, turned it on and it said "no operating system found". I re-installed my copy of Windows XP and everything went fine. Until I tried to connect to the internet. I am unable to connect. At first the modem wasnt registering. We fixed that now it is not recognizing the ethernet cable?? We have downloaded the required driver (from my other PC) and installed it with no luck. HELP!!!

The computer is an HP ..other than that, I dont have the specifics. It was given to me by my son who built it from scraps.. (he wont answer his phone, hence this post!)
m
l
January 14, 2013 7:35:17 AM

Well, that makes things difficult.

If the computer was built from scraps it's not really an HP anymore. That's just the name on the case.

Something catastrophic happened that caused damage to your operating system. Perhaps it was wiped out completely by a virus, or perhaps it got corrupted by a power surge or simply bad luck.

Or maybe you have some basic hardware problem that will become clear later.

Your driver issue might be related to the version of XP you are using. There are "service packs" that changed XP quite a bit over the years. A particular driver or hardware might not be compatible with XP until XP has been upgraded to the latest service pack.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp-s...
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2013 9:26:35 AM

Proximon said:
Well, that makes things difficult.

If the computer was built from scraps it's not really an HP anymore. That's just the name on the case.

Something catastrophic happened that caused damage to your operating system. Perhaps it was wiped out completely by a virus, or perhaps it got corrupted by a power surge or simply bad luck.

Or maybe you have some basic hardware problem that will become clear later.

Your driver issue might be related to the version of XP you are using. There are "service packs" that changed XP quite a bit over the years. A particular driver or hardware might not be compatible with XP until XP has been upgraded to the latest service pack.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp-s...

I spoke to another son and he said that the computer is an HP and that the scraps were things like the fan and other non essentials? I still dont know anything more about it tho. I have the numbers from the inside (model # and part #s) but after searching for info using them online I still have no clue what it is. I do know it has an AMD Athlon 64 processor.
m
l
January 14, 2013 9:47:27 AM

wow, I need coffee! , so Ive been doing some more detective work!! Turns out the power supply in this one is only for 3 particular computers..yay!!! I finally figured it out! It is an HP Dx5150 Desktop!

And an even better way of posing my query!~

The ethernet is connected properly... both the router and the computer have a green light on them indicating the ethernet is working. The device manager has the ethernet controller with a yellow question mark. I have installed many different drivers and still it doesn't work. HOW CAN I GET THE ETHERNET TO WORK WITH THIS MODEL?
Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated!!!
m
l
January 14, 2013 5:30:41 PM

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12105_div...
So a reference exists in the thread.

The driver for your Ethernet is here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Softwa...
It does not seem to have a dependency on a particular service pack.

The green lights mean that each piece of hardware can see the other, but the yellow question mark indicates a problem.

Your computer could have more than one Ethernet device. If this is the case, one Ethernet port will be near the rear USB ports, while the other port will be in an expansion slot... one of those cards slotted into the motherboard with it's own port in the back. If the cable was plugged into the wrong port this might cause your problem.

The device with the yellow question mark... what is the exact name?
m
l
!