Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 960 keep or sell

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2010 2:55:32 PM

I am in the process of building a system and through a series of deals ended up getting an i7 960 for free. After reading almost all of the 960 posts I am having a hard time deciding whether to keep the 960 or sell it and buy an i7 930 and pocket the difference. I do not plan to overclock until necessary. This build will be used extensively for my home business and most times I have at least 75 Firefox and Internet Explorer windows opened and around four to six applications running. I currently have:

Cooler Master Black Edition Storm Sniper Case
Intel i7 960
ASUS P6X58D-E
Corsair Dominator 6 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz Triple Channel CMP6GX3M3A1600C8
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Corsair H50 CPU cooler
Intel 80 GB X25M SSDSA2MH080G2R5 SSD
Two WD 150GB Raptors in RAID 0
Seagate 1.5 TB storage drive
Graphics Card - Undecided - 5770 Series?

I do not plan to upgrade this system for at least 5 years, possibly longer with this build. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More about : 960 sell

Best solution

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 3:11:30 PM

Sell and pocket difference!!

Also.. 75 Browser windows, what the heck for! i am seriously wondering!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 3:12:59 PM

Forgot to say, v nice system you've built there!
Related resources
July 6, 2010 3:28:18 PM

Anonymous said:
Sell and pocket difference!!

Also.. 75 Browser windows, what the heck for! i am seriously wondering!

Moricon, thanks for your input. As for the 75+ windows, I buy and sell various items and have multiple sites, many of them utilizing flash, running at the same time. You never know when you are going to come across a deal! :D 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 3:35:50 PM

Ahh I see, time for an eyefinity setup for you my friend, not for gaming, but window handling!

(here was me hoping it was an attempt at world domination but alas,just business use)
July 6, 2010 3:48:54 PM

Anonymous said:
Ahh I see, time for an eyefinity setup for you my friend, not for gaming, but window handling!

(here was me hoping it was an attempt at world domination but alas,just business use)

Ha Ha! Yes, just business for now although world domination is on my to-do list. It's just this whole "no unlimited money, no army, no real political power, etc, etc" thing :pfff: . Once I overcome that small obstacle I'd say my chances of crossing it off the to-do list are pretty good.
July 6, 2010 5:20:32 PM

The Game said:
Ha Ha! Yes, just business for now although world domination is on my to-do list. It's just this whole "no unlimited money, no army, no real political power, etc, etc" thing :pfff: . Once I overcome that small obstacle I'd say my chances of crossing it off the to-do list are pretty good.

Hi
u say that u have 75+ pages open and they all use flash contents, how much processor power is used then, u can chk that in task manager?
July 6, 2010 5:48:36 PM

lordszone said:
Hi
u say that u have 75+ pages open and they all use flash contents, how much processor power is used then, u can chk that in task manager?

Hello, with my current CPU (an i7 920) the CPU usage varies between 5% to 30% depending on how many applications I am running at once.
July 6, 2010 5:54:17 PM

The Game said:
Hello, with my current CPU (an i7 920) the CPU usage varies between 5% to 30% depending on how many applications I am running at once.

hi
in this case then i think selling the 960 and staying with 920 will be fine as u are not playing games and this is the highest u get with your current work.
July 7, 2010 1:48:59 AM

Best answer selected by The Game.
!