Sign in with
Your question

PC shuts down after 5 seconds

Tags:
  • Computer
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 6, 2010 3:57:02 PM

Recently, my computer froze as I was watching a film. I decided to power it off but when I went on to power it back on it shut down after 4-5 seconds and I also got no monitor signal. The computer is a custom build and has been running fine for a year.

Here's a full list of all the results and troubleshooting I done:

-Checked if all the connections were correct
-Reset the CMOS by removing the battery and moving the jumper
-Made sure that the power led on the mobo was working
-Tried to run system in barebones configuration (PSU, mobo, cpu and RAM only)
-Tried to run the PC without the RAM inserted waiting for mobo to give beeps but it didn't

I thought that the motherboard was faulty so I ordered a new one and replaced it but the problem remained. I then decided to take the computer to a tech who said the CPU was dead. I orderd the new CPU and a HSF for it and after placing it in there was still no difference.

With no hope I decided to try the old mobo with the old CPU and it went through POST giving one beep which according to my manual means that the mobo detects all the components. Now I'm sure that the case speaker is working fine. I was able to get into the BIOS with the old mobo and I saw that the CPU and mobo temps were fine. When I turned the computer off and tried to turn it on the problem would appear again. I tried resetting the CMOS again and the PC would POST again so I thought that I needed to reset the CMOS everytime for the PC to start. But then I realized this was wrong and the PC would only post once in about 20 attempts of turning it on. Sometimes when it did POST the screen would freeze and go weird.

I also tried running the PC in barebones configuration with a 300w PSU but the problem remained.

Also I took the PC with the new mobo and new CPU in to a friend of mine and he says that CPU is dead from ESD. (note: I didn't use an antistatic mat when replacing components) When I did replace the components I done it on a solid desk.

So now I would like to ask which component is actually dead? Is it the mobo, CPU or what?
Thanks in advance to all the people which help me with solving this problem.

PC specs:
Asus m2npv-vm
2xKingston 2gb ddr2 RAM
Amd Athlon 64 x2 5600+
550W PSU

More about : shuts seconds

July 6, 2010 5:57:40 PM

Did you run a memtest at any point during all of this? Just to make sure that atleast the RAM is problem-free.
July 6, 2010 6:50:29 PM

ksampanna said:
Did you run a memtest at any point during all of this? Just to make sure that atleast the RAM is problem-free.

What do you mean by memtest? is it testing the RAM in another mobo?Or is it done with some testing device?
July 6, 2010 6:59:40 PM

I'd keep on going down the list. Like ksampanna said, if you are able run memtest to make sure the RAM is not your problem. Also, if you can borrow a PSU from a friend and try it out. Eventually, you're going to isolate the problem. And if you can borrow components from friends, that saves you from having to kick yourself when you buy parts you don't need.
If you can't run memtest, I'd still find some compatible RAM somewhere that you haven't tried, and give it a test with that.
July 6, 2010 7:01:42 PM

memtest = http://memtest.org/
download it, put it on a cd and boot with memtest. It will test your RAM to make sure it's functioning propperly.
July 6, 2010 8:36:46 PM

claykirk13 said:
I'd keep on going down the list. Like ksampanna said, if you are able run memtest to make sure the RAM is not your problem. Also, if you can borrow a PSU from a friend and try it out. Eventually, you're going to isolate the problem. And if you can borrow components from friends, that saves you from having to kick yourself when you buy parts you don't need.
If you can't run memtest, I'd still find some compatible RAM somewhere that you haven't tried, and give it a test with that.

Thanks for the reply.
I will try the memtest. Just another thing I would like to point out is that when I tried to boot the os a message saying "BOOTMGR is missing" showed up. Also when I tried to boot from a vista installation cd the screen would freeze like in the video on youtube. Im going to try memtest anyway though. Thank you once again.
July 6, 2010 11:17:23 PM

ksampanna said:

Memtest has not found any errors. I was running it with only 1 ram stick. Just a question i have is it possible to boot from a cd with a dead cpu? If not, then does that mean that my cpu is fine?
July 6, 2010 11:23:10 PM

claykirk13 said:
memtest = http://memtest.org/
download it, put it on a cd and boot with memtest. It will test your RAM to make sure it's functioning propperly.

Memtest has not found any errors. I was able to boot the cd after the screen froze on multiple occasions. What would you recommend to do now?
July 7, 2010 7:39:59 AM

Hmm, then I suppose PSU would be the next step. If memtest checked out, then your ram is probably fine. If you were able to boot and do any operations at all, your cpu is probably working fine. I'd trade out the PSU to check it, but I was almost hoping your problem would be the memory. That would be a quick fix.

One question: When you say you're running your system barebones (ONLY CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU), do you have a heatsink&fan plugged in to cool your CPU? I remember the first system I ever tried to build and I had this problem where it would boot and then turn off in 5-10 seconds because the MOBO sensed I didn't have a CPU fan attached or possibly the CPU was overheating quickly. Either way, it's simmilar to the problem your having now. Make sure your CPU fan is running and the connector is plugged into the motherboard and it is powered by the PSU.

Make sure you're using a thermal paste too. I'm starting to think that the CPU may be getting too hot and the MOBO shuts down your computer to keep it safe.

I could be totally wrong though...
July 7, 2010 8:41:20 AM

claykirk13 said:
Hmm, then I suppose PSU would be the next step. If memtest checked out, then your ram is probably fine. If you were able to boot and do any operations at all, your cpu is probably working fine. I'd trade out the PSU to check it, but I was almost hoping your problem would be the memory. That would be a quick fix.

One question: When you say you're running your system barebones (ONLY CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU), do you have a heatsink&fan plugged in to cool your CPU? I remember the first system I ever tried to build and I had this problem where it would boot and then turn off in 5-10 seconds because the MOBO sensed I didn't have a CPU fan attached or possibly the CPU was overheating quickly. Either way, it's simmilar to the problem your having now. Make sure your CPU fan is running and the connector is plugged into the motherboard and it is powered by the PSU.

Make sure you're using a thermal paste too. I'm starting to think that the CPU may be getting too hot and the MOBO shuts down your computer to keep it safe.

I could be totally wrong though...

I tried running the PC barebones with another PSU(300w) which I thought would be enough since my Graphics card, hdd etc. wasnt in but the results were the same. The fans seemed to go a little bit slower on the 300w PSU. Coming onto the CPU and HSF the connection is in place and I am sure it works as when I got into the bios I checked the temps and the CPU was at 45 degrees and Mobo at 25 degrees. Also the rpm of the fan is detected. The big thing is that there is no thermal paste (I didnt build the PC) on the CPU but it has been running for a year now which I am pretty amazed at :o  .
(Note: All of the above is for the old Mobo and CPU.)

Moving onto the new mobo and new CPU and HSF same symptoms as above but i was never able to get it to POST or get to bios. A friend of mine said he tested it with some testing card which said that the CPU was dead. I am completly lost now.

Any ideas what the cause of these weird screens is when it freezes?

Thanks
July 7, 2010 11:55:39 AM

This might be a bit odd, but you could buy the cheapest CPU compatible with your board & run the system with it. If it runs fine, then obviously the first one is well & truly dead.
July 7, 2010 1:13:02 PM

ksampanna said:
This might be a bit odd, but you could buy the cheapest CPU compatible with your board & run the system with it. If it runs fine, then obviously the first one is well & truly dead.

Could it be possible though that the CPU is dead, if I was able to boot memtest with no prob.
July 7, 2010 1:27:16 PM

ksampanna said:

I will also add that when I tried reseating the old cpu yesterday the bios said that it detected a new CPU. Previously, I think it has been detecting the CPU as running at 2.5ghz but its 2.4ghz now which is what the CPU actually is. (I never did any OC)
July 7, 2010 4:53:45 PM

Quote:

Could it be possible though that the CPU is dead, if I was able to boot memtest with no prob.

No, memtest needs a live CPU. If you were able to run memtest, then your CPU might not be extinct after all.

Now is it possible for you to flash your mobo BIOS?
July 7, 2010 8:37:59 PM

I had never flashed a bios before but I can give it a try. I will also try to get the new mobo to boot tonight. I'll soon post the results.

Thanks
July 7, 2010 8:41:56 PM

ksampanna said:
Quote:

No, memtest needs a live CPU. If you were able to run memtest, then your CPU might not be extinct after all.

Now is it possible for you to flash your mobo BIOS?

I would just like to post another message I got when trying to boot the pc. It said "BOOTMGR is missing" and I also got another one before I managed to boot memtest it said "BOOT DISK FAILURE"
July 8, 2010 4:00:52 AM

Those are signs of a failing / corrupted HDD. Time for a new one.
July 8, 2010 1:13:08 PM

ksampanna said:
Those are signs of a failing / corrupted HDD. Time for a new one.

I ran a memory diagnosis from the vista installation cd 11 times yesterday-No problems found. Then I thought lets try to boot the OS which and i got the BOOTMGR is missing message so I booted the installation cd and reinstalled vista. It worked :ouch:  :pt1cable:  :heink:  . This is against all the troubleshooting I done as the troubleshooting pointed to a hardware problem. I am quite surprised that I managed to fix it this way. Anyways, because the old mobo worked I tried to test the new one and it appears to be dead. :pfff:  Now I will try to flash my old mobo bios into the latest version so that I can try the new CPU. Hopefully it will work.
If you know any logical explinations to this problem please let me know. Thank you for all your help :)  ;) 

Also can you recommend me a good thermal paste?
July 8, 2010 6:28:16 PM

I prefer Arctic Silver 5
July 8, 2010 9:42:13 PM

ksampanna said:
I prefer Arctic Silver 5

Ok I had solved all issues now. Both processors are fine and only the mobo I bought off ebay is faulty. I think im going to buy arctic silver due to its cheap price. Once again a BIG thanks to you for all your advice. :D 
July 9, 2010 6:59:57 AM

:D  Great!! Sorry I couldn't reply, went hiking. I'm glad all seems to be fine. If you ever get down to the reason for all this trouble, let us know on the forums. It might help someone with the same issues.
July 15, 2010 8:14:59 PM

claykirk13 said:
:D  Great!! Sorry I couldn't reply, went hiking. I'm glad all seems to be fine. If you ever get down to the reason for all this trouble, let us know on the forums. It might help someone with the same issues.

Ok I return again with not such good news...
Problem occured again, same story as before... :cry:  :sweat: 
Bout 4 days after I reinstalled windows.

Forgetting all of the initial info I know:
Both CPU's work
Ram works-checked with memtest and another windows tool multiple times.
Video card works.
PSU works

So now.... I really dont know is the old mobo faulty and if it causes this??
Or is this a software issue??? Just 1 more thing i would like to mention after fitting in the new cpu (2.9ghz) with arctic silver vista twice detected it as 2.91ghz
I didnt OC anything.
I am sorry if this is becoming a pain but could you suggest what I could do now. I dont want to keep reinstalling my OS every 5 days.
Thank you
July 15, 2010 8:17:19 PM

ksampanna said:
I prefer Arctic Silver 5

OK i return with bad news...(sorry)
Can you please suggest what I should do now??? (See my reply to claykirk13 for more info)
thank you
!