Sign in with
Your question

Buy ASUS P8P67 Deluxe or wait for Sabertooth P67?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 11, 2011 7:08:48 PM

Title says it all, I guess.

I was gonna place my newegg order today, but the Sabertooth P67 looks so sweet. When will it be available? I can't seem to find a date anywhere. I really hate the waiting game, and would like to order something soon.

Is there any reason to wait for the Sabertooth over the P8P67 Deluxe?

Also, can anyone recommend nice memory for either board?

Thanks!
a c 238 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 11, 2011 7:33:08 PM

Any quality P67 board will perform the same with the same cpu. Buy based on price, and the features you want.

As to ram, look at the qvl list for compatible ram on the motherboard web site. Or, look at the ram configurator on the ram web site to get a list of supported ram kits.

Get more ram, not faster ram, not pricier ram. Ram specs are relatively unimportant to actual performance or FPS.
m
l
January 11, 2011 7:40:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. After looking at reviews and such for the Sabertooth P67, it really looks like overkill (in many different ways, for my needs), and I'm not really into "bragging" at my age, not that I have anyone to brag to anyway :o  (no one I know knows what a "motherboard" even is... :ouch:  )

I'm leaning towards this for RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Too bad the RAM is out of stock.

I guess I should read a review on them first...

Take care.

-E-

m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
January 11, 2011 7:57:24 PM

I myself am going for the p8p67 simply because it has all the features I am ever likely to use and more, choose your mobo based on your needs!

As for RAM I certainly would recommend the corsair vengeance you have linked to, any more than 1600mhz is unnecessary and as mentioned will have little effect on preformance!

I am also considering a 4gb pair of G.skill DIMMs simply because they are cheaper than the corsairs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I also depend on reviews and benches to a certain degree, however because it is a completely new architecture, reviews are a little hard to come by at present.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2011 8:02:43 PM

I like the ASUS Sabretooth P67 as well but I did a product compare on the ASUS website, the Bios doesn't appear to have any overclocking ability. So, it came down to the Deluxe and Pro and based on my needs and reports, settled on the Pro. Great product for about $180.

As for the RAM, I too was going to get the same RAM but was told at the store they get a lot of returns. I bought Kingston instead.

m
l
January 11, 2011 8:23:15 PM

That's funny, I just added those to my cart. I just read a couple very favorable reviews for the G.Skills you linked (one being from this site). Been on the "upgrade fence" for so long now, I'm sick of waiting. X68 sounds nice, but I don't feel like waiting for that either, or paying the premium when it and associated CPU(s) come out.

Memory review
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/8gb-ddr3-ram,2542.h...

Now looking for a good HSF for the CPU and I should be all set to order.

m
l
January 11, 2011 8:23:31 PM

The new g.skill ripjaws x looks pretty good especially for the prices. You could get a set of 2x2gb (1600) for 49.99 or less
m
l
a c 238 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2011 12:06:22 AM

The Corsair vengeance would have been my first choice for a sandy build using a P8P67-M Revo, based on good previous experience with Corsair.
But, because I will be using a small case, I was worried about the height of the heat spreaders.
I sent an e-mail to G.skil support, and got a prompt answer back with answers to my questions:
1) It will be compatible with sandy bridge 2500K and 2600K.
2) The heat spreaders are 40mm tall. (And they are beautiful, red anodized aluminum).
3) The heat spreaders are attached via double sided thermal tape, and can be removed if necessary(their suggestion)
4) There will be no heat issue if the spreaders are removed, just retain them if a RMA is required.

That is the kind of support I like, so I ordered them. They are working well in a temporary H55 motherboard until I can get the P67 board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
January 12, 2011 1:33:28 PM

Thx for the info Geo. Yeah, I'm a big fan of good customer support too, and I also avoid companies with bad customer service as well.

I have a decent amount of evga products, and was blown away (in a bad way) to find out that when I thought my video card died, there was no way for them to ship me a new one before they got my old one UNLESS I wanted to PAY for this "service", and it's not 5 or 10 dollars either, it's starts around $20-30 for these special "plans". Bogus, IMHO. Most companies I deal with do this for free, as they should.

I thought a WD HD I had was bad (it was bad RAM corrupting my data), and I went to the WD site, and within 5 mins, I put my RMA in their automagic system, and a new HD was on it's way to me later that same day. Sweet.

Now I have the unopened 1TB drive sitting on the floor, but if I don't return it soon, I'll get ending up buying it at retail price. (my bad, not theirs).
m
l
!