Help: I need a camera with 1280*960 TIFF and compact flash

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 7, 2004 9:13:41 PM

I am looking for a camera that will allow me to aquire 1280*960 or
1600*1200 TIFF images and uses Compact Flash type I cards so I can
collect alot of images in one session. This is for quantitative image
analysis of plants growing out in the field. I have thousands of
plants, and have worked out the protocol for aquiring/analysis, but
need a camera with compact flash so I can do this quickly. 1280*960
resolution works just great for my purposes, as it has sufficient
resolution and yet is a small enough file size (3615 KB). TIFF is
absolutely necessary, or RAW, as image compression (JPEG)means lost, or
inaccurate data, when you are measuring pixels, intensity, area, etc,
and change in that over time.

Anyone know of a camera (ie: that I could purchase new somewhere) that
fits these specs?

I am trying to not have to read every freaking spec on every model out
there!

Thanks Much in Advance for your time

Chris
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 10:14:08 PM

"potalooga" <potalooga@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for a camera that will allow me to aquire 1280*960 or
> 1600*1200 TIFF images and uses Compact Flash type I cards so I can
> collect alot of images in one session. This is for quantitative image
> analysis of plants growing out in the field. I have thousands of
> plants, and have worked out the protocol for aquiring/analysis, but
> need a camera with compact flash so I can do this quickly. 1280*960
> resolution works just great for my purposes, as it has sufficient
> resolution and yet is a small enough file size (3615 KB). TIFF is
> absolutely necessary, or RAW, as image compression (JPEG)means lost, or
> inaccurate data, when you are measuring pixels, intensity, area, etc,
> and change in that over time.
>
> Anyone know of a camera (ie: that I could purchase new somewhere) that
> fits these specs?
>
> I am trying to not have to read every freaking spec on every model out
> there!
>
> Thanks Much in Advance for your time

I doubt very much that any new camera will save files that small as a tiff.
There are lots of cameras that allow low res images like you describe, but
usually only as a space-saving tactic. Because of this, you will find that
with space-saving tactics come accross-the-board use of the jpeg--reserving
use of the tiff format for the full-resolution, highest quality option.
These will be MUCH higher res than what you're looking for, even in the
low-end cameras in today's digicam market.

:(
December 8, 2004 1:20:09 AM

My guess would be to look for an old Coolpix 950, it does 1600 x 1200 and
saves in TIFF.

Jean

"potalooga" <potalooga@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
> I am looking for a camera that will allow me to aquire 1280*960 or
> 1600*1200 TIFF images and uses Compact Flash type I cards so I can
> collect alot of images in one session. This is for quantitative image
> analysis of plants growing out in the field. I have thousands of
> plants, and have worked out the protocol for aquiring/analysis, but
> need a camera with compact flash so I can do this quickly. 1280*960
> resolution works just great for my purposes, as it has sufficient
> resolution and yet is a small enough file size (3615 KB). TIFF is
> absolutely necessary, or RAW, as image compression (JPEG)means lost, or
> inaccurate data, when you are measuring pixels, intensity, area, etc,
> and change in that over time.
>
> Anyone know of a camera (ie: that I could purchase new somewhere) that
> fits these specs?
>
> I am trying to not have to read every freaking spec on every model out
> there!
>
> Thanks Much in Advance for your time
>
> Chris

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:49:25 AM

"potalooga" <potalooga@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for a camera that will allow me to aquire 1280*960 or
> 1600*1200 TIFF images and uses Compact Flash type I cards so I can
> collect alot of images in one session. This is for quantitative image
> analysis of plants growing out in the field. I have thousands of
> plants, and have worked out the protocol for aquiring/analysis, but
> need a camera with compact flash so I can do this quickly. 1280*960
> resolution works just great for my purposes, as it has sufficient
> resolution and yet is a small enough file size (3615 KB). TIFF is
> absolutely necessary, or RAW, as image compression (JPEG)means lost, or
> inaccurate data, when you are measuring pixels, intensity, area, etc,
> and change in that over time.
>
> Anyone know of a camera (ie: that I could purchase new somewhere) that
> fits these specs?
>
> I am trying to not have to read every freaking spec on every model out
> there!
>
> Thanks Much in Advance for your time
>
> Chris

I don't know about new, but a used Nikon Coolpix 800 or 950 would give
you
1600 x 1200 TIFF and Compact Flash. There are a lot of used ones out there
somewhere. Check Ebay. The 950 has a deadly Macro.
Brian, in Cedar
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 2:04:40 PM

potalooga wrote:
> I am looking for a camera that will allow me to aquire 1280*960 or
> 1600*1200 TIFF images and uses Compact Flash type I cards so I can
> collect alot of images in one session. This is for quantitative image
> analysis of plants growing out in the field. I have thousands of
> plants, and have worked out the protocol for aquiring/analysis, but
> need a camera with compact flash so I can do this quickly. 1280*960
> resolution works just great for my purposes, as it has sufficient
> resolution and yet is a small enough file size (3615 KB). TIFF is
> absolutely necessary, or RAW, as image compression (JPEG)means lost,
> or inaccurate data, when you are measuring pixels, intensity, area,
> etc, and change in that over time.
>
> Anyone know of a camera (ie: that I could purchase new somewhere) that
> fits these specs?
>
> I am trying to not have to read every freaking spec on every model out
> there!
>
> Thanks Much in Advance for your time

I think that if you want accurate quantative analysis, RAW will be
essential rather than TIFF, as the data in the TIFF file will not be
direct from the sensor. You will need to control the precise conversion
from linear encoded sensor space to semi-log encoded image space (i.e. a
gamma correction is applied to produce 8-bit images from the RAW data.
Your difficulty may be in finding a camera with RAW output at such a low
resolution, as the cameras which I have used all force the maximum
resolution if RAW data is selected. Perhaps DSLRs differ in this respect?

I would check how much error is actually introduced by JPEG before you
reject that solution. Some cameras now include a very low loss JPEG mode
(e.g. "extra-fine" on the Nikon 8400) and the errors from using that mode
may be insignificant compared to other errors in your measurements (and in
how the camera converts linear sensor data to TIFF values, lens geometric
errors etc. etc.).

David
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:01:24 AM

My venerable 2 mp (1600x1200) Oly C-2100UZ does tiff, as I recall.

Ah, they just don't make 'em like they used to :-)

Phil

Mark² wrote:
> "potalooga" <potalooga@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am looking for a camera that will allow me to aquire 1280*960 or
>>1600*1200 TIFF images and uses Compact Flash type I cards so I can
>>collect alot of images in one session. This is for quantitative image
>>analysis of plants growing out in the field. I have thousands of
>>plants, and have worked out the protocol for aquiring/analysis, but
>>need a camera with compact flash so I can do this quickly. 1280*960
>>resolution works just great for my purposes, as it has sufficient
>>resolution and yet is a small enough file size (3615 KB). TIFF is
>>absolutely necessary, or RAW, as image compression (JPEG)means lost, or
>>inaccurate data, when you are measuring pixels, intensity, area, etc,
>>and change in that over time.
>>
>>Anyone know of a camera (ie: that I could purchase new somewhere) that
>>fits these specs?
>>
>>I am trying to not have to read every freaking spec on every model out
>>there!
>>
>>Thanks Much in Advance for your time
>

> I doubt very much that any new camera will save files that small as a tiff.
> There are lots of cameras that allow low res images like you describe, but
> usually only as a space-saving tactic. Because of this, you will find that
> with space-saving tactics come accross-the-board use of the jpeg--reserving
> use of the tiff format for the full-resolution, highest quality option.
> These will be MUCH higher res than what you're looking for, even in the
> low-end cameras in today's digicam market.
>
> :(

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:05:33 PM

SOLUTION! The Olympus C-765 and C-770 Ultra Zooms with the Camedia
software (turbo in these) still allow several TIFF resolution
selctions. Though with the xD cards not compact flash, will be the
best solution available for something new, ie: the compromise solution
to the items of consideration: lossless files, file size (resolution),
memory capcity, speed of aquisition, and....oh yeah, about 500 bucks.
Thanks to all who replied
!