Sign in with
Your question

DIY DVR card suggestions for older computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2010 3:53:54 AM

I was given an old Dell Dimension 4300 by a friend and would like to turn it into a DVR. I don't have a HDTV so I'm not terribly concerned about picture quality and resolution. I'd like to recreate the functionality I had with my old Tivo box (pause live, schedule recordings, etc.) My issue is that with a computer this old I'm having trouble researching a decent graphics card and tv tuner - I doubt I need a top-of-the-line graphics card/tuner to be able to handle this but not sure where the cut-off is between good enough and overkill.

I've seen the Hauppauge PVR-150/250 highly recommended on older articles - is there are more recent card that would be better but would still work in a computer this old? I don't have a cable box - just the coaxial cable so the card needs to handle the input.

The original graphics card is a nvida GeForce2 MX - which I'll replace with something more powerful, but again I don't need anything super fancy. Can anyone suggest a graphics card that would do the trick? Anyone with a homebuilt DVR on an older computer care to sound off what's in their system?

Thanks for the input!

Dell 4300 - 1.5GHz P4 - 512GB RAM - 150GB HD

-bix
April 2, 2010 9:22:03 AM

i doubt that its got a PCIe slot because the GeForce2 MX is an AGP card..
m
l
April 2, 2010 9:30:42 AM

ah - I forgot that bit, the motherboard uses AGP for graphics, no PCIe. (oh yes, it's an oldie)
expansion slots: 1x - 2X/4X AGP / 4 x PCI
m
l
!