My case only came with 2 standoffs... Bad?

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, I wouldn't even think about installing a motherboard using only two stand-offs. You need to use all the ones available (which line up with the holes in your mobo of course) otherwise you can expect to have shorts etc against the back of the case. What case do you have? It's pretty poor that a case would only come with two standoffs. There may be some in the motherboard box if you're lucky though it's a shot in the dark.

Luckily, standoffs aren't all that expensive to buy and you can grab a pack of 25 etc. so you always have a few spare for the future. I'd be dropping an e-mail to the case manufacturer though to express your disappointment.

Renseru

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I am kind of in a hurry to get up and running so I'm not sure if I want to return and re-order. I looked in my mom's old dell and noticed that the case was built similarly to mine in that it seems to have risers built into the case and does not use stand offs, so far as I can see. Here are some pictures.

Its a little blurry, but you get the idea.
35873_1431664764199_1610305290_1036230_7801655_n.jpg

The third "stand off"
35873_1431664684197_1610305290_1036229_2536489_n.jpg

What do you think?

Edit: The blurry picture is my current case. The "third" stand off I felt was out of place.

4745454b

Titan
For odd motherboards that need standoffs where the risers aren't. Its possible that you might want to install an mATX into that case. They can't put the risers for that form factor as they will short an ATX mobo. By including only two standoffs they don't have to supply as many (saving them cost.) and they can support mATX cases as well.

4745454b

Titan
Correct. IF you were going to install a non ATX board into that case, you might need some standoff where there aren't any. If so they included a few normal one. Odds are that you have the raisers were a normal size ATX board would go.

I don't want to say that your ok however. I haven't seen the inside of the case so I don't know where the risers/standoffs are. Put the board in there and manually inspect the board/case. If its solid with NO risers out of place then your ok.