Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dead NIC on P55M-UD2? 1 Green/2 Amber blinking

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2010 1:01:16 AM

I'm currently using a USB NIC because my onboard NIC on my Gigabyte P55M-UD2 just kind of stopped working. Any OS or liveCD I've tried just shows it enabling and disabling constantly, and the link LEDs are blinking 1 Green then 2 Amber.

Anyone familiar with this particular blink code? It's no biggie if the NIC died, I can grab a PCI card from the shop I work at, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any fixes/ideas.

PS- I've tried reflashing my BIOS and rolling back to other driver versions, same effect and no fix. :( 

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2010 2:55:04 AM

I take it that you have tried clearing the CMOS? I don’t think that the LED’s blinking is a code, more an indication of what the NIC is trying to do sending, receiving and listening. I think that your NIC is dead.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2010 4:26:09 AM

Honestly if my onboard NIC was giving me trouble at all I'd just disable it in the BIOS and toss one in there from the stack in my garage.

If you're on vista or 7 I'm amazed that the USB thing worked at all.
Related resources
April 29, 2010 5:29:00 AM

Best answer selected by andrewc513.
April 29, 2010 5:31:15 AM

pjmelect said:
I take it that you have tried clearing the CMOS? I don’t think that the LED’s blinking is a code, more an indication of what the NIC is trying to do sending, receiving and listening. I think that your NIC is dead.

I figured as much about the link lights. But amazingly, your tip may have very well saved it. Goes to show you to never forget the basics, I spend all day at work digging for deeper causes for problems with systems so I skip the obvious. Somewhere between going to a beta BIOS for the mobo, removing my Wubi Ubuntu, clearing the CMOS, and whatever else, it now works!
!