Sign in with
Your question

Case/Tower?

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2010 1:47:04 AM

I need some advice when choosing what case/tower should i pick. My system will be:
-AMD Phenom II 955 X4 Quad Core 3.2Ghz Black Ed. 125W AM3 Box
-Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket AM3
-Mushkin Silverline 10666 DDR3 1333 6GB 3x2GB CL9
-WD Caviar Black 640 Gb SATA3
-Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 Cool (no difference in price or stats between the cool version and the normal one, just appearance as far as i know so dont know which one to choose ...)
-Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE OEM
-Nox Apex 800 W

I need a case that can fit that system plus a future crossfire with 2 5850. And that preferably comes with some fans. Also would like to know if i would need to buy any extra fans and if possibly where to locate them. ***I was doubting between NZXT Hades, NZXT Lexa S or Nox Coolbay Devil Edition.***

Thanks in advance!

More about : case tower

April 29, 2010 1:50:28 AM

I would lean toward the Cooler Master HAF 922, myself but if you are liking the NZXT cases, I would go with the Hades.
Related resources
April 29, 2010 1:58:40 AM

The thing is that the ones i listed are around 61-66€ and the HAF/Antecs are from 84-100 € in the page where im buying: www.pccomponentes.com

I chose those 3 because they were relatively cheap and had 4 fans included.

EDIT: if you think you can improve something from the system say it pls!
April 29, 2010 2:15:15 AM

squa1o said:
The thing is that the ones i listed are around 61-66€ and the HAF/Antecs are from 84-100 € in the page where im buying: www.pccomponentes.com

I chose those 3 because they were relatively cheap and had 4 fans included.

EDIT: if you think you can improve something from the system say it pls!

Change your RAM to a dual channel RAM as your mobo only supports dual channel. Look into G. Skill Ripjaws like these.

And change your HDD to something the Samsung Spinpoint F3. They're just as good for a cheaper price.
April 29, 2010 4:44:59 AM

So i cant have 6 Gb of RAM? I think 4 is a bit too low :S. What can i do with it?

About the HDD where im buying, the only samsung spinpoint f3 is 1TB (which is a bit to excessive i think) and its SATA2 not SATA3. (its also more expensive)
April 29, 2010 5:09:39 AM

squa1o said:
So i cant have 6 Gb of RAM? I think 4 is a bit too low :S. What can i do with it?

About the HDD where im buying, the only samsung spinpoint f3 is 1TB (which is a bit to excessive i think) and its SATA2 not SATA3. (its also more expensive)

What will you be doing with the system that makes you think it seems too low?
April 29, 2010 5:10:29 AM

Mostly gaming, and i want it to last for a long time, so 4gb will be too short in some time
April 29, 2010 5:28:04 AM

squa1o said:
Mostly gaming, and i want it to last for a long time, so 4gb will be too short in some time

If gaming, you won't be using all of the 4GB RAM. 4GB is more than adequate if the most you'll be doing on it is gaming. But by all means, if you're looking to spend more for RAM you won't use, then get an 8GB quad channel set. Works with dual channel, so I read.

Also, if you're not too interested in the onboard graphics, sata 6, or usb 3.0 on that mobo, look for something like this to save some money.

ASUS M4A78T-E
April 29, 2010 5:28:42 AM

" then get an 8GB quad channel set" You mean 2 - 4gb or 4 - 2gb?
April 29, 2010 5:29:08 AM

The Spinpoint F3 500GB or 1TB are both faster than the 640 Black. The Spinpoints have 500Gb platter design while the 640 has 2 x 320GB platters. The denser the platter the faster the drive. WD Black series and Seagate 7200.12 series also both make 500GB platter design drives ( 500GB,1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB ). Not a single 7200 RPM drive comes anywhere close to using the full SATA 2 ( 3.0Gb/s ) much less the SATA 3.0 ( 6.0GB/s ) standard. Only solid state drives can make use of that bandwidth.

You need dual channel RAM as stated above. The GSkill Ripjaws series linked to above is much better as it has a faster speed and lower cas latency ( faster). I have used it in several builds and have always been happy with it. 4Gb is plenty for most uses. If you find you need more buy another kit.

You may want to consider a full tower for that setup if you are going to crossfire. The CoolerMaster Haf 932 and Antec 1200 are both excellent choices. They both also include the fans.

Stay away from that Audigy SE....at least I would. The Asus Xonar or Soundblaster X-Fi series will make you much happier. If that breaks your budget then use onboard untill you can afford a decent card. I believe the Audigy is not really an upgrade from onboard.

Make damn sure you get a high quality power supply especially if you plan to Crossfire 5850s. I would recommend a Corsair 850w or a similar Antec unit.
April 29, 2010 5:44:37 AM

squa1o said:
" then get an 8GB quad channel set" You mean 2 - 4gb or 4 - 2gb?

Either or. However 2x4GB would be a lot more expensive.

Here's a some good sets of 4x2GB if you're really set on getting more RAM.

G. Skill ECO 4x2GB CAS 7
G. Skill Ripjaws 4x2GB CAS 7

Both are around the same price. Dunno about the place that you're getting it from. Both are almost identical apart from appearance. I'd go with the ECO set though as they also have a lower voltage.
April 29, 2010 5:50:06 AM

Or you could just get two 2x2 GB kits. It really doesn't matter.
April 29, 2010 5:58:30 AM

coldsleep said:
Or you could just get two 2x2 GB kits. It really doesn't matter.

That'd actually be cheaper than getting a quad kit, lol.
April 29, 2010 2:16:24 PM

http://www.pccomponentes.com/SEAGATE_BARRACUDA_7200_11_... What you think about this HDD? I didnt choose the 7200.12 you recommended because it only had 16 mb cache and this one has 32. Does the cache matter a lot?

About the RAM ill be getting this and if i think i need more in the future ill buy another one to get to 8 gb. http://www.pccomponentes.com/G_SKILL_RIPJAWS_PC3_10666_...

About the sound card if it doesnt really improve the onboard one i will remove it (ive never had a soundcard, i just wanted it because im buying the creative fatal1ty headset and wanted to use its full potential)

The towers anort3d listed, 1 isnt where im buying and the other one is too expensive :/ 

I forgot to put the power supply in the first post! Its a Nox Apex 800 W
April 29, 2010 2:28:31 PM

squa1o said:
http://www.pccomponentes.com/SEAGATE_BARRACUDA_7200_11_... What you think about this HDD? I didnt choose the 7200.12 you recommended because it only had 16 mb cache and this one has 32. Does the cache matter a lot?

About the RAM ill be getting this and if i think i need more in the future ill buy another one to get to 8 gb. http://www.pccomponentes.com/G_SKILL_RIPJAWS_PC3_10666_...

Platter density matters much more than cache size. I would go with the 7200.12.

This RAM is better and cheaper than the Ripjaws you have linked: Mushkin Blackline 1333 MHz CL7 4 GB kit - $103 euros.
April 29, 2010 2:48:28 PM

The Mushin RAM is CL7 not CL9 (tbh i have no idea what that means :p ) Is it important? Ive seen this Mushkin CL9 for exactly the same price http://www.pccomponentes.com/MUSHKIN_SILVERLINE_ST_1066...

Also i dont see anywhere in the specifications the 7200.11 platter density. Maybe its the same than the 7200.12? :S

About the Video Card. Thats the version im going to get, but the only doubt i see is that i want to make crossfire in the future, when one 5850 gets short and its price has gone down. Will i need another sapphire 5850 "COOL" or the normal one would work too? I dont want to buy for eg. the cool version and they stop producing it after some time and just make the normal one ... Any thoughts?

Also keep giving opinions about the case pls! Cant decide between any of those 3 (I think the Lexa S is the better looking one, but i prefer performance over looks!! xD)
April 29, 2010 3:29:50 PM

CL7 is faster than CL 9. The CAS Latency is sometimes referred to as "timings". Generally speaking, the lower that number is, the better.

And no, the platter density won't be in the specifications. You would need to read reviews. And the 7200.11 definitely does not have the same 500 GB platters, it's a new design.

While it's likely that any 5850 would work, it's generally recommended to stay with the same brand just to reduce any chance of incompatibility. I don't think there would be any difference between that model and the normal one that you would need to be concerned about.
April 29, 2010 3:44:39 PM

coldsleep said:
CL7 is faster than CL 9. The CAS Latency is sometimes referred to as "timings". Generally speaking, the lower that number is, the better.

And no, the platter density won't be in the specifications. You would need to read reviews. And the 7200.11 definitely does not have the same 500 GB platters, it's a new design.

While it's likely that any 5850 would work, it's generally recommended to stay with the same brand just to reduce any chance of incompatibility. I don't think there would be any difference between that model and the normal one that you would need to be concerned about.

Tyvm for the info. So Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, Mushkin Blackline CL7 and 5850 COOL :D 
April 30, 2010 1:45:46 PM

squa1o said:
The Mushin RAM is CL7 not CL9 (tbh i have no idea what that means :p ) Is it important? Ive seen this Mushkin CL9 for exactly the same price http://www.pccomponentes.com/MUSHKIN_SILVERLINE_ST_1066...

Also i dont see anywhere in the specifications the 7200.11 platter density. Maybe its the same than the 7200.12? :S

About the Video Card. Thats the version im going to get, but the only doubt i see is that i want to make crossfire in the future, when one 5850 gets short and its price has gone down. Will i need another sapphire 5850 "COOL" or the normal one would work too? I dont want to buy for eg. the cool version and they stop producing it after some time and just make the normal one ... Any thoughts?

Also keep giving opinions about the case pls! Cant decide between any of those 3 (I think the Lexa S is the better looking one, but i prefer performance over looks!! xD)

Shouldnt be any problem with 5850 cool vs a 5850 if both are sapphire. Although the "cool" version as that site called it is like 2 inches shorter than the other one (which is good). I doubt they will stop making the newer, smaller, quieter, cooler design.

Also, I can't really recommend any cases that have the door on the front of them. My last case has the door and it drove me CRAZY. Unless you have used a case with a front door and know for certain that you like it already (in use) I would stay away from cases with a door and save yourself the headache.
April 30, 2010 2:07:13 PM

The thing is i cant recall last time i used my DVD drive/writer so it isnt really a problem for me.
!