zurich_luv

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hi,

plz can sumone suggest which cpu should I go for while building my own system? I want it to be intel i5, but there are a lot of differences in between them?

which series in i5 is most powerful for 1333 FSB?

thnx

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
If you can post what you intend to use your system for and how much you are willing to spend then we can give more specific advice. If you're talking gaming then the i5 750 seems to be about the best price/performance chip at the moment.

zurich_luv

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
yeah I will mostly use it for gaming and run multiple Virtual machines....
but i5 750 does not support HT(hyper threading) so will it be able to handle multi threadded applications fine..like the antivirus should not in any way affect the overall pc performance(provided I have 4 GB 1333 RAM) and the gaming experience...

thnx

An i7 860 will better suit your needs if you are stuck upon your Intel (LGA 1156 socket) only decision.. Otherwise i'll recommend making a build with the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T..

zurich_luv

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Nope sir! I am stuck only to i5 as of now, frankly I don't know a single thing about AMD and I have'nt seen anyone in my group using it...

And my concern is, which i5 to buy one with HT or 750(4cores 4 threads)??

Am not orthodox but m a little afraid of using amd stuff while considering the performance...sure I can find a lot more of detail on the web but it still gives me no clue as to whty I should use amd over intel(in term of performance)

Oh my bad.. I dint knew you'd be alienated from your group just for using an AMD processor (CPU racism..LOL...).. Jokes apart, If you can understand the i5 750 (4cores 4 threads) then you'll surely understand Phenom II X6 1090T (6 cores 6 threads).. Gaming is more GPU dependent so both would perform identically.. Or else, if you really mean the "price does not matter" statement, then why not go all out for a X58 build..!!

zurich_luv

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah I did read the line on a AMD poster which says our 6 at their 4 or something like that...nay I wouldnt be alienated for using a different brand but seriously dude I've never seen somebody use AMD..ever!

the price does not matter for the i5 range of cpus...

Well the best i5 CPU is the i5 750.. The best LGA 1156 CPU is the i7 860.. So if price is not a concern (just for CPU as i understand) then get the i7 860 (4 cores 8 threads)..

zurich_luv

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
hmmm...thats right only the cpu price will differ, rest will be the same..cool will try to buy an i7 instead of i5.... 4c/8t is anytime better.

now that leads me to my next quest...which nvidia series card to buy? dont want to spend too much but it shouldn't be an entry level card either....!

DX11 on a moderate budget is ATI domain.. How much of a budget are you talking about..?? DX11 Nvidia cards, assuming GTX 470 as recommended buy, retails for a healthy amount above 300 USD..

BTW, Nvidia still does not has any entry level offerings for DX11..

zurich_luv

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
How much of a budget are you talking about..??

a graphics two steps ahead of nvidia GT 220.....

but their site has a LOT of options, series 4/2/8/9 ....!
and on the top of that they dont even list the differences in the series, one has to click on individual card and read all the things(?) and I can't comprehend the technological differences in graphics card.