Agonizing Over RAM and MB For New System

Hogweed

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I've been agonizing for weeks over MB/CPU/RAM combo for my new build. It's been about 6 years since I built a new system and I've been trying to get up to speed on the current options. I had decided on a Core i7-950 w/ triple channeled memory @ 12 gb, but the DOA rates and other problems with the top recommended boards were scaring the hell out of me. I know the RAM is excessive at 12 gb, but I plan on using a 128 gb c300 sata iii ssd as my boot drive and I want to minimize pagefile writes. Luckily, since I was delaying so long the Sandies have come out. So, now I'm looking at a Core i7 2600K, but the MB and RAM are still presenting some problems for me.

I'm hoping some of you can give me insight/direction in all of this.

Here's what I'm planning currently:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishLists.aspx?actionType=SEARCH&OrderKey=CREATEDATE&OrderType=DESC&searchTitle=hogcomp&searchItemNumber=

My problems:

1. My reading indicates that there's not much real world gain going from dual channel to triple channel memory. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would it be worth sticking with an i7 9xx build just for the triple channel memory?

2. The Sandies only support dual channel memory. Will running four identical DDR3 DIMMS at 8 GB total lower my dual channel performance any or will they run correctly as two sets of dual channel?

3. Will 8 GB RAM be adequate for use with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and an SSD (btw this will be a gaming machine)? I'm thinking it will be. My only other option with this build would be to bump up to 16 GB and I don't think that's necessary.

4. With the ASUS board I'm looking at a lot of the RAM I'm considering isn't in their QVL list. Is this typically a problem if I stick to name brand memory (G.Skill, Kingston HyperX, Corsair, etc...)?

5. RAM speed and latencies...can anyone provide some direction? They're all over the map from product to product. I'm leaning towards this set at the moment solely from a timings perspective (at these low timings for 1600Mhz I'm hoping I could push the frequency higher if needed and keep a CAS of 8-9):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231353
BUT...not on the QVL list for the ASUS mb I'm looking at.

6. Some of the RAM I'd like to run is only listed as 2 DIMM supported in the QVL list. Would I have issues bumping these to 4 DIMMS? I realize the answer is most likely a 'maybe', but I still have to ask. I'm wondering mainly if this is just poor testing or possibly limited RAM availability to ASUS when they threw the list together.

7. RAM suggestions?

8. Any suggestions in general on any components in my build? I already have an Antec Nine Hundred Two case, Samsung BX2450 monitor, 128gb c300 ssd, BD burner, and a few 7200 rpm sata hdds floating aroung. So, no worries with those components at least.

I just have no idea what I should do. Any direction that you guys can provide would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT: Changed wishlist link to hopefully work.

Solution
1. All the reports I have read suggest you are correct. Drop the I7-950 and buy a i7-2600x. It smokes the 950 in just about every test they have.

2. I don't know of any issue with running 4 dimms rather than 2 except for a potential for greater heat build up. 2x4GB is my preferred setup. Of course the more you have the greater the chance for a bad stick I suppose.

3. 8Gb with Win 7 64 bit is awesome. My last setup used this very combo and it was awesome. I expect the same from the P67 setup. 4 Gb is enough for most situations but things are changing gradually toward more.

4. I would only recommend what is on the QVL. Your links to newegg.com didn't work for me so I can't tell which RAM you are considering. I made...

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
1. All the reports I have read suggest you are correct. Drop the I7-950 and buy a i7-2600x. It smokes the 950 in just about every test they have.

2. I don't know of any issue with running 4 dimms rather than 2 except for a potential for greater heat build up. 2x4GB is my preferred setup. Of course the more you have the greater the chance for a bad stick I suppose.

3. 8Gb with Win 7 64 bit is awesome. My last setup used this very combo and it was awesome. I expect the same from the P67 setup. 4 Gb is enough for most situations but things are changing gradually toward more.

4. I would only recommend what is on the QVL. Your links to newegg.com didn't work for me so I can't tell which RAM you are considering. I made this mistake with my last build and ended up having to swap RAM to stop the crashing. Take a look at G.Skill or Kingston for dependability. I used to like Corsair but have been advised by several salespeople at my favorite computer store that they have a higher return rate for some versions. Also was told that the Patriot Sector 7 RAM is fairly dependable. I am always very careful with RAM purchases because of reliability issues, especially with faster speed stuff.

5. Again, can't tell which ASUS you are looking at. I bought the P8P67 Pro model....it has most of the desirable bells and whistles for a reasonable buck. The Deluxe is also great and similar to the PRO but with a few more features (that I didn't want).

6. No, as long as the model is otherwise identical and the speed you are getting is 1600 Mhz or less. They can't test all of it! IMO, more than 1600 Mhz is a crap shoot for stabilty with deminishing returns for the cost.

7. As mentioned above. I run 1333 Mhz for lower price and stability. Afterall, speed kills. LOL To be honest, I have had trouble telling the difference in real world use, but to each his own.

8. The stuff you already have is good...I didn't notice a GPU or PSU though. You problably have a great GPU but I also hope you have or are buying a decent GOLD rated level PSU.....our power in North America really sucks when you look closely but most don't know what is going on. Our infastructure is mostly out of date and the power system is taxed to keep up to demand. Also, since PSU's rated output deteriorates slowly (5-10% a year), I buy bigger than I should ever need. I run an 850 watt. The extra cost is small and the results speak for themselves. This also covers the addition of multi GPU's or even power hog single GPU's without having to replace the PSU prematurely.

Don't know if this helps at all but I hope so. I took the jump for the 2500K and so far have no regrets. I was all set to get a 950 but decided to wait and see....glad I did! Having said that, if they get replaced too soon (like the P55 chipset & 1156 socket) or if the mobo's have multiple BIOS updates every other week to fix problems, I'll be pissed!

Solution

Hogweed

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks Eagle. That's definitely a big help. I did edit the wishlist link in my original post. So, it should work now. The P8P67 Deluxe is exactly what I was consider as well as a Seasonic 850W 80+ Gold PSU and a GTX 460 1 GB.

Also, immediately after submitting my original post I noticed that G.Skill is making a line of memory specifically for the Sandies:

http://www.gskill.com/news.php?index=401

I'm considering this one (the P8P67 Deluxe is listed as qualified, I was hoping for a cas of 6 @ 1600, but I suppose 7's not too bad):

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=357&c1=&c2=
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431&cm_re=ripjaws_x_series-_-20-231-431-_-Product

So, here's the current build:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12963451

Just need a decent heatsink now and I'm set.

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Wow, that is a nice setup. Great choices from what I can see. I too would seriously consider the G. Skill Ripjaw X but they are sold out everywhere up here. However, the RAM I bought are on the QVL so they should be okay and the price was very low. One thing to verify is if those Ripjaws are too tall for your setup (CPU Cooler). I understand they stick up 40mm.

Enjoy your system.