Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HIS radeon 4670 iceq agp driver problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2010 4:57:55 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased a HIS Radeon 4670 apg card and so far have not been able to install the drivers at all. I've tried everything, downloaded the the most recent drivers I could find,10.3 hot fix from ATI all with no luck. When I try to install the driver it seems to only install the Catalyst Control Center but when I look in Device Manager it still shows standard VGA adapter. I am about to return the card but I figured I would give it one last try as this card seems like it would give a large performance boost in gaming for my old system.

My specs are:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+
nForce 3 Motherboard
3GB PC3200 RAM
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
Windows 7 Professional

Any insight as to why they wont install would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
April 2, 2010 6:36:45 AM

Yeah I downloaded the 32-bit version of both the drivers and the agp hotfix neither seem to actully install the drivers. The best result I could get is for the card to be recognized correctly but it had the little yellow exclamation mark on it. When looking at the device details it would say "This device has stopped functioning. Code(43)." Also I would get a message from the Catalyst Control Center that said "There are no ATI drivers installed or the device has stopped functioning. Please install device drivers." Thanks for any help.
Score
Related resources
May 5, 2010 8:57:06 PM

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH HIS RADEON ICEQ AGP 1GT. SYSTEM STOPS RESPONDING DURING INSTALLATION. NO BOOT OR BSOD THOUGH. RECOGNIZING OF GRAPHIC CARD IS THE PROBLEM - I THINK.

HELP!! ...IS THERE ANY SOLUTION...?...

-VK

---------------
MYSPEX:
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core, 3120.0 MHz
Mainboard ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA
Main BIOS AMI date 02/22/10
Chipset NVidia nForce3 250
Memory 2047.2 MB KINGSTON HYPERX DDR2-800 DUAL CHANNEL CL3
Harddisk ST3750640AS C:698.6GB
Video Adapter Radeon 512MB X1600/X1650 Series AGP
Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Score
February 19, 2011 4:07:24 AM

How to install an ATI Radeon 4670 AGP in an old ASUS CULS2 motherboard - Short version.

Purchased an HIS Radeon HD 4670 AGP graphics card ( video card ).
Used the supplied install DVD of the AMD Radeon HD 4xxx Series AGP
Catalyst Software Suite for Windows XP - 32 Bit.
I'm upgrading from an old ATI Radeon 7200 64MB DDR (the package really said Radeon 64MB DDR), but it used a Radeon 7200 chip.
I un-installed the old drivers in Windows XP, turned off the computer and installed the new card.
Turned on the computer and installed the Catalyst Suite using the supplied CD ( HIS 3D Graphics Card Driver Version
0913 ) . I can't find this version on the web anywhere, so I'm thinking it belongs to HIS . The driver packing version
is 8.65 and that would be a Catalyst version 9.9 .
Re-booted, so the new drivers can take affect. You get the usual Window screen for about 10 secsonds, and then it just freezes.
I powered down and booted back up into WinXP Safe Mode ( it's the F8 key ).
I'm now in Safe Mode. Go to Device Manager. ( Hit Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager ).
If you look down the list of Devices ( Computer, Disk drives, DVD/CD-Rom drives etc. ) you'll see System Devices.
Under this list , you'll see " Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio ".
Left mouse click to see the properties and DISABLE this device. Hit all the " okays " and power down and boot back
up into normal Windows and you should be up and running.

I now have a working 9 year old ASUS CUSL2 AGP computer, with 512 megs of RAM, which started out with one of the
first ATI Radeon cards and now it'll serve out it's life with the last AGP card ( AMD Radeon 4670 AGP ) that will be
made ( my guess).

How I installed an ATI Radeon 4670 AGP in an old ASUS CULS2 motherboard that took 3 days out of my life - Long version.

I was going to bore you with the long version but decided not to. Long story short, I'm just going to try and explain some problems you might encounter.

1. You get the dreaded Windows freezes or blank blue / black screen - the new drivers have loaded, just go into Safe Mode ( see the above short version for the fix ).
2. The blue/black screen is not your monitor dying, or a monitor that can't take the output resolution of the new
graphics card. I use a CRT monitor that can auto sync refresh rates from 60Hz - 120Hz, and screen resolutions
from 640 x 480 to 2048 x 1536. I also used an LCD monitor hooked up to the DVI output just in case the
video card decided to change the output from VGA to DVI.
Nada, nothing - It's not your monitor, the computer is hung-up.
3. You're in Safe Mode and you see the devices loading but stop at " windows \ system32 \ drivers \ agp440.sys " -
again, the new drivers have loaded and it's got nothing to do with the bad " windows\system32\drivers
\agp440.sys " file.
You can disable this file by using the Windows installation disk but this is not the problem.
It's freezing because (this is what I'm thinking, but I could be wrong ) , the " Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High
Definition Audio " driver is sharing the same IRQ as another device on your computer, but it does not like to
share.
In my case the " Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio " driver always took IRQ 9. I already had an
add on USB 2.0 adapter card that was taking up IRQ 3,7, and 9.
I have a 1 GHZ Pentium III ( P3 ), and my computer was freezing, but if you have a faster computer, it might
just stutter.
4. I tried to solve the problem by looking into Microsoft's Support article 888111 ,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111 . Tried to download the " Universal Audio Architecture ( UAA) High
Definition audio class driver Hotfix ( the download request is on the upper left corner ).
It's actually a request to download the Hotfix, because Microsoft sends you back a password. In my case the
password was " EMMD^K-!_ " ( the password changes monthly ? ), but I couldn't get it work. I have no
knowledge if this Microsoft Hotfix has helped anyone with an AGP motherboard or not.
5 . Tried Hotfix Catalyst verion 10.10 and it works - I'm staying with this one for awhile.
I also tried other Catalyst versions:
Tried Hotfix Catalyst version 11.2 and that did not work.
Tried Hotfix Catalyst version 10.12 and that did not work.
Tried Hotfix Catalyst version 10.7 and that did not work.

Hope this helps with your install problems.
Score
April 26, 2011 7:23:08 AM

Hi, I have the same problem but with a little difference, when I go to device manager and disabled the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio and the rebooted the PC, the same thing happen, black screen, the HDD start reading and for a while, the cd drive comes alive, then stop. This cicle (HDD reading and cd drive too) happen until I get tired of that and reboot the PC.

Back in to the safe mode, I can see the display driver installed without problems in the device manager.

Do you have any clue?

My setup is:

Windows XP Professional SP3 Spanish
HIS Radeon HD 4670 AGP 1 GB
Mo.Bo. MSI K8M8
CPU AMD Sempron

Gunflash said:
How to install an ATI Radeon 4670 AGP in an old ASUS CULS2 motherboard - Short version.

Purchased an HIS Radeon HD 4670 AGP graphics card ( video card ).
Used the supplied install DVD of the AMD Radeon HD 4xxx Series AGP
Catalyst Software Suite for Windows XP - 32 Bit.
I'm upgrading from an old ATI Radeon 7200 64MB DDR (the package really said Radeon 64MB DDR), but it used a Radeon 7200 chip.
I un-installed the old drivers in Windows XP, turned off the computer and installed the new card.
Turned on the computer and installed the Catalyst Suite using the supplied CD ( HIS 3D Graphics Card Driver Version
0913 ) . I can't find this version on the web anywhere, so I'm thinking it belongs to HIS . The driver packing version
is 8.65 and that would be a Catalyst version 9.9 .
Re-booted, so the new drivers can take affect. You get the usual Window screen for about 10 secsonds, and then it just freezes.
I powered down and booted back up into WinXP Safe Mode ( it's the F8 key ).
I'm now in Safe Mode. Go to Device Manager. ( Hit Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager ).
If you look down the list of Devices ( Computer, Disk drives, DVD/CD-Rom drives etc. ) you'll see System Devices.
Under this list , you'll see " Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio ".
Left mouse click to see the properties and DISABLE this device. Hit all the " okays " and power down and boot back
up into normal Windows and you should be up and running.

I now have a working 9 year old ASUS CUSL2 AGP computer, with 512 megs of RAM, which started out with one of the
first ATI Radeon cards and now it'll serve out it's life with the last AGP card ( AMD Radeon 4670 AGP ) that will be
made ( my guess).

How I installed an ATI Radeon 4670 AGP in an old ASUS CULS2 motherboard that took 3 days out of my life - Long version.

I was going to bore you with the long version but decided not to. Long story short, I'm just going to try and explain some problems you might encounter.

1. You get the dreaded Windows freezes or blank blue / black screen - the new drivers have loaded, just go into Safe Mode ( see the above short version for the fix ).
2. The blue/black screen is not your monitor dying, or a monitor that can't take the output resolution of the new
graphics card. I use a CRT monitor that can auto sync refresh rates from 60Hz - 120Hz, and screen resolutions
from 640 x 480 to 2048 x 1536. I also used an LCD monitor hooked up to the DVI output just in case the
video card decided to change the output from VGA to DVI.
Nada, nothing - It's not your monitor, the computer is hung-up.
3. You're in Safe Mode and you see the devices loading but stop at " windows \ system32 \ drivers \ agp440.sys " -
again, the new drivers have loaded and it's got nothing to do with the bad " windows\system32\drivers
\agp440.sys " file.
You can disable this file by using the Windows installation disk but this is not the problem.
It's freezing because (this is what I'm thinking, but I could be wrong ) , the " Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High
Definition Audio " driver is sharing the same IRQ as another device on your computer, but it does not like to
share.
In my case the " Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio " driver always took IRQ 9. I already had an
add on USB 2.0 adapter card that was taking up IRQ 3,7, and 9.
I have a 1 GHZ Pentium III ( P3 ), and my computer was freezing, but if you have a faster computer, it might
just stutter.
4. I tried to solve the problem by looking into Microsoft's Support article 888111 ,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111 . Tried to download the " Universal Audio Architecture ( UAA) High
Definition audio class driver Hotfix ( the download request is on the upper left corner ).
It's actually a request to download the Hotfix, because Microsoft sends you back a password. In my case the
password was " EMMD^K-!_ " ( the password changes monthly ? ), but I couldn't get it work. I have no
knowledge if this Microsoft Hotfix has helped anyone with an AGP motherboard or not.
5 . Tried Hotfix Catalyst verion 10.10 and it works - I'm staying with this one for awhile.
I also tried other Catalyst versions:
Tried Hotfix Catalyst version 11.2 and that did not work.
Tried Hotfix Catalyst version 10.12 and that did not work.
Tried Hotfix Catalyst version 10.7 and that did not work.

Hope this helps with your install problems.

Score
April 26, 2011 2:08:18 PM

@Ricardo_lnx

... remove all your old drivers for the graphic card and try the driver I have provided above and have a look if it works ... I failed to install a newer driver version, even with trying all this workarounds ... even the v8.65 from the HIS website is NOT working for me, because the driver keeps recovering ... I know it's not a perfect solution, but it's better then having all this trouble ... you're still able to play 3D-Games with this old driver ... with our old hardware the HD4670 is more likely running like on idle, so it really doesn't matter much ... I only bought the HIS-HD4670-1gb-ICEQ, because my x1950-Pro-512mb died, but believe me, my old card was running much better and had not such issues ... unfortunately I couldn't get a x1950-XTX anymore ... btw. AGP + nForce or VIA-Chipset isn't a very good combination with the HD4670 together ... all the newer games who would be able to force the HD4670 to it's limits are not even starting on our old sys, because our CPU has not all this fancy SSE-Extensions ... ;-)
Score
April 26, 2011 2:48:16 PM

Thank you so much. I've donwloaded the driver you post, and this afternoon I'm gonna make the test.

I'm not an expert in windows, what program do you recomend to remove all the old drivers and registry entries in a "safe" way?

I just want to "fly" my ATR-72 in FS9 :) 

In linux, this video card works with some (important) performance issues in 2d and 3d but at least, I've made the direct rendering works in 1280x1024 @ 24 bpp but this is other story.
Score
April 26, 2011 8:47:23 PM

Hi every body, it works!!!!!!! well almost. These are the steps I've followed:

1.- In safe mode, uninstall all ati drivers and applications. Some of they doesn't desapear from the installed app list.

2.- In safe mode, run Driver Cleaner Pro and select everything with "ATI" word.

3.- Verify that no ATI display driver is shown in the installed app list (add and remove programs).

4.- Disable de Microsoft UUA HD Audio bus in the devices tree

5.- Shutdown the PC.

6.- Remove the ATI card and move the red jumper from 1-2 to 2-3

http://www.nix.ru/autocatalog/graphic_cards_his/88746_2...

7.- Turn on the PC and cancel any dialog box. Install this diver (8.65) from HIS website:

http://download.hightech.com.hk/driver/Radeon_8_865_091...

(ATI XP Driver Verison: XP_8.65-090813a-087120E-ATI)

IMPORTANT: Choose the Expert mode and DO NOT INSTALL the audio driver.

8.- Reboot the PC. Should work but.... with a problem.

The problem I have now is I can't run Catalyst Control Center even when I double click the ccc.exe.

My screen resolution is now 1260x1024 but... I can't configure AA and the other thigs tha make interesting buy this video card's.

Anybody can help me? there is another way to setup AA, etc? without CCC?

@TONSCHUH

My friend, the driver you post above didn't work for me. I don't know why.

Well, anyway, if somebody can help me with the CCC I'll apreciate that. Now I'm gonna sleep :) 

Score
a b \ Driver
April 26, 2011 9:56:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!