• No, its good for low end

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Get over it already and move on!

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Right, I know I've had a few discussions with people on here over Socket 775 recently, but how many think its really dead and time to move on?

Be mindful that Intel have actually released 3 CPUs on the platform this year alone, mainly Low-mid end Pentiums including the 3.06GHz Pentium Dual Core and the 3.2GHz Pentium E6700 (of which I own).

Now I recommend them for people on a budget or just want basic computing, I know alot don't but there less than $90 for a 3+GHz Dual Core CPU. For me the E6700 is rapid and I have it overclocked to 4GHz which makes it even faster. It runs the older games and new ones fairly easy.

It even scores 6.9 on WEI for all that means!

So whats your thoughts?

i didn't say same price, i said cheap, and keep in mind that the cpu prices aren't much different, nor is the memory (DDR2 is about the same price as DDR3). Well at least in the states, overseas might depend a lot with locale

though its too bad you guys don't get good cheap AMD board

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Ares, I know that but for low end and very cheap builds do you not agree there is some value here? Hell I can build a Pentium Dual Core system for less than £120 I reckon!

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Good make, but only 4 SATA ports, 2 DDR3 slots and 1 PCI-e x1 slot eurgh! Even my cheap dead end 775 has more than that! :pt1cable:

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
I doubt they'll EOL a CPU (Pentium E6700) that was only RTM in April 2010. In that article the CPUs mentioned are over a year old!

Theres even rumours a float that there'll be an E6800 coming out 3.33GHz!

ares1214

Splendid
keyword, rumors. and lets see, old slow pentium system for 300$, new fast, upgrable am3 system for 350-400, maybe even 300$. anybody can go back 2 generation and call it cheap, yeah, i can get a cheap am2 setup too...

If you don't wish to acknowledge that socket 775 is being EOL'd then I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you.

G

I would not build a skt775 for a customer now anymore.. Low-end is AM3 DDR3 with Athlon x2/x3/x4 in my builds using 8xx chipsets!

I differ from large suppliers as I build only High Quality systems using latest Components, couldn't be bothered to play cheap with customers, If they are really desperate for cheap I send them to the Supermarket/PcWorld as I cannot compete with the cheap end market prices as they use older less specked OEM boards ect..

No skt775 in a new build is dead, but if you have one, its still perfectly usable, my second (Ok so GF uses it more than me for LOTRO/Bookwork) system is skt 775 c2d 7200 @ 3.8|ghz and has been at that for two years running.. so perfectly usable, nothing wrong with it!

ares1214

Splendid
by dead we mean as far as building new systems with it. its dead because it cant really be upgraded, and cpus at the same price point destroy them. its called forward progress, not go forward, wait for obsolete things to be cheap, then brag about how cheap they are.

Intel will keep selling 775 parts for a while if people keep buying them, but they are gonna phase them out to sell newer stuff. As it is they are going to replace LGA 1156 with 1155, so they aren't too interested in making new 775 parts. New parts will pretty much simply be better yielding low power chips that they are trying to get you to pay more for. As they transition to 32nm Intel will start cutting off 45nm parts where it makes the most business sense to them but soon they will simply stop making any 45nm chips and just be looking to dump existing inventory. There will be no 32nm 775 chips.

Over the past several years Intel has been introducing new socket CPUs about every two years. Therefore, going with Intel means EOL sooner rather than later. AMD on the other hand have been using AM2/AM3 for several years.

If longevity is the primary concern, then AMD is a generally a good choice. In the recent past Intel held the overall performance crown regardless of the cost. If people wanted a little more performance at a slightly higher price, then Intel is the way to go.

I haven't really compared current CPUs from AMD and Intel (I don't need any temptations for a new build), but I would suspect Intel still has the performance crown.

Yes, there are still socket 775 components left, but the supply will dry up sooner rather than later as current socket 775 owners want that little extra performance w/o having to migrate over to a new platform. After a certain point the price of these components will increase due to low supply and people will then opt for the current architecture of AMD or Intel.

If my Q9450 were to suddenly die, then I would probable opt to replace it with another Q9450 or faster quad core CPU depending on the price. If that price is high like $500+, then it's "Hello Core i7" for me.

loneninja

Distinguished

Socket 775 is still the budget king for Intel, there is no doubt it's cheaper than 1156. However those Low-mid end Pentiums are terrible buys compared to an AM3 set up of the same cost. For less money you can get an Athlon II X2, or for about the same cost you can get an Athlon II X3/X4 that will destroy any Pentium Dual core in a majority of tasks. Than on the AM3 system you'll have integrated graphics several times more powerful. Than if you ever plan to upgrade to something more powerful, the Phenom II X4 is a much better buy price/performance than any Core2Quad right now, and AM3 also has the Phenom II X6 and possible Bulldozer support for 8+ core processors.

With socket 775, you spend more to get less just because you refuse to use AMD, and when you want something better you'll need a new motherboard/cpu/ram.

4745454b

Titan
I think the answer to this depends on your definition of the word dead. A few chips here and there might be coming out. But no new development is happening. You might be able to find new parts for it as well. But that doesn't mean its a smart buy. If you want to go by rumors, Intel is bringing out two new sockets next year, including one called 2011.

I believe its dead. No new development, no "real" new parts, its lost the attention of Intel. Their current chipsets are 1366 and 1156. S775 was good for its time, but like AMDs S939 its time is over.

To argue that you should use it for budget builds is a bit dumb as well. AM3 can be just as good as S775, and you can still upgrade those. Switch to AMD if you need to. For any build you do with S775, I'm sure I can build one as good with AM2+ or AM3. And that will support DDR3, hex core CPUs, etc.

ares1214

Splendid

not only that, but cpus like the 440 and 635 beat everything in the 775 line up near their price range.

The equation is simple.. Anyone looking for a new build should simply just ignore the LGA 775.. For existing users though, their is no such compelling need to jump to a new platform..

TRENDING THREADS