• No
  • 19 %
  • No, its good for low end
  • 19 %
  • Get over it already and move on!
  • 26 %
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:27:50 PM

Right, I know I've had a few discussions with people on here over Socket 775 recently, but how many think its really dead and time to move on?

Be mindful that Intel have actually released 3 CPUs on the platform this year alone, mainly Low-mid end Pentiums including the 3.06GHz Pentium Dual Core and the 3.2GHz Pentium E6700 (of which I own).

Now I recommend them for people on a budget or just want basic computing, I know alot don't but there less than $90 for a 3+GHz Dual Core CPU. For me the E6700 is rapid and I have it overclocked to 4GHz which makes it even faster. It runs the older games and new ones fairly easy.

It even scores 6.9 on WEI for all that means!

So whats your thoughts?

More about : socket 775

a c 81 à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:35:11 PM

LGA 775 is dead from a new build point of view..
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:39:00 PM

Emperus said:
LGA 775 is dead from a new build point of view..

agreed, might as well grab LGA1156 as it can be had cheap with an i3 if you only need a dual core
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:39:15 PM

Care to explain? The bits are cheap from my POV. Half the price of some newer stuff.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:53:22 PM

i didn't say same price, i said cheap, and keep in mind that the cpu prices aren't much different, nor is the memory (DDR2 is about the same price as DDR3). Well at least in the states, overseas might depend a lot with locale

though its too bad you guys don't get good cheap AMD board
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:55:36 PM

Yup, the cheapest I can find is a 760 based board for £42 which is about $65, which I wouldn't consider good.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:57:39 PM

775 is dead because you can get cpus for the same cost that perform MUCH better, and actually have an upgrade path.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:00:28 PM

icraig said:
Yup, the cheapest I can find is a 760 based board for £42 which is about $65, which I wouldn't consider good.

this board you are talking about: Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2, its pretty good, not the best though, at least a good company
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:01:58 PM

Ares, I know that but for low end and very cheap builds do you not agree there is some value here? Hell I can build a Pentium Dual Core system for less than £120 I reckon!
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:09:34 PM

mindless728 said:
this board you are talking about: Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2, its pretty good, not the best though, at least a good company

Good make, but only 4 SATA ports, 2 DDR3 slots and 1 PCI-e x1 slot eurgh! Even my cheap dead end 775 has more than that! :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:12:25 PM

icraig said:
Ares, I know that but for low end and very cheap builds do you not agree there is some value here? Hell I can build a Pentium Dual Core system for less than £120 I reckon!

Whilst that maybe the case, Intel is EOL'ing the 775 so it is as good as dead even though there are still a lot of parts still available for sale no new bits are being made.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100706PD213.html
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:19:21 PM

I doubt they'll EOL a CPU (Pentium E6700) that was only RTM in April 2010. In that article the CPUs mentioned are over a year old!

Theres even rumours a float that there'll be an E6800 coming out 3.33GHz!
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:28:22 PM

keyword, rumors. and lets see, old slow pentium system for 300$, new fast, upgrable am3 system for 350-400, maybe even 300$. anybody can go back 2 generation and call it cheap, yeah, i can get a cheap am2 setup too...
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:38:51 PM

icraig said:
I doubt they'll EOL a CPU (Pentium E6700) that was only RTM in April 2010. In that article the CPUs mentioned are over a year old!

Theres even rumours a float that there'll be an E6800 coming out 3.33GHz!

If you don't wish to acknowledge that socket 775 is being EOL'd then I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:43:48 PM

I would not build a skt775 for a customer now anymore.. Low-end is AM3 DDR3 with Athlon x2/x3/x4 in my builds using 8xx chipsets!

I differ from large suppliers as I build only High Quality systems using latest Components, couldn't be bothered to play cheap with customers, If they are really desperate for cheap I send them to the Supermarket/PcWorld as I cannot compete with the cheap end market prices as they use older less specked OEM boards ect..

No skt775 in a new build is dead, but if you have one, its still perfectly usable, my second (Ok so GF uses it more than me for LOTRO/Bookwork) system is skt 775 c2d 7200 @ 3.8|ghz and has been at that for two years running.. so perfectly usable, nothing wrong with it!
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:47:57 PM

by dead we mean as far as building new systems with it. its dead because it cant really be upgraded, and cpus at the same price point destroy them. its called forward progress, not go forward, wait for obsolete things to be cheap, then brag about how cheap they are.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 11:07:56 PM

Intel will keep selling 775 parts for a while if people keep buying them, but they are gonna phase them out to sell newer stuff. As it is they are going to replace LGA 1156 with 1155, so they aren't too interested in making new 775 parts. New parts will pretty much simply be better yielding low power chips that they are trying to get you to pay more for. As they transition to 32nm Intel will start cutting off 45nm parts where it makes the most business sense to them but soon they will simply stop making any 45nm chips and just be looking to dump existing inventory. There will be no 32nm 775 chips.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 11:08:28 PM

BTW 775 isn't a socket, it's an LGA.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 11:11:59 PM

megamanx00 said:
BTW 775 isn't a socket, it's an LGA.

Well it's actually the number of contacts that the Land Grid Array has, but it's still a socket in that the CPU "plugs" into it.
a c 448 à CPUs
July 6, 2010 11:40:20 PM

Over the past several years Intel has been introducing new socket CPUs about every two years. Therefore, going with Intel means EOL sooner rather than later. AMD on the other hand have been using AM2/AM3 for several years.

If longevity is the primary concern, then AMD is a generally a good choice. In the recent past Intel held the overall performance crown regardless of the cost. If people wanted a little more performance at a slightly higher price, then Intel is the way to go.

I haven't really compared current CPUs from AMD and Intel (I don't need any temptations for a new build), but I would suspect Intel still has the performance crown.

Yes, there are still socket 775 components left, but the supply will dry up sooner rather than later as current socket 775 owners want that little extra performance w/o having to migrate over to a new platform. After a certain point the price of these components will increase due to low supply and people will then opt for the current architecture of AMD or Intel.

If my Q9450 were to suddenly die, then I would probable opt to replace it with another Q9450 or faster quad core CPU depending on the price. If that price is high like $500+, then it's "Hello Core i7" for me.
a c 83 à CPUs
July 6, 2010 11:51:00 PM

icraig said:
Right, I know I've had a few discussions with people on here over Socket 775 recently, but how many think its really dead and time to move on?

Be mindful that Intel have actually released 3 CPUs on the platform this year alone, mainly Low-mid end Pentiums including the 3.06GHz Pentium Dual Core and the 3.2GHz Pentium E6700 (of which I own).

Now I recommend them for people on a budget or just want basic computing, I know alot don't but there less than $90 for a 3+GHz Dual Core CPU. For me the E6700 is rapid and I have it overclocked to 4GHz which makes it even faster. It runs the older games and new ones fairly easy.

It even scores 6.9 on WEI for all that means!

So whats your thoughts?

Socket 775 is still the budget king for Intel, there is no doubt it's cheaper than 1156. However those Low-mid end Pentiums are terrible buys compared to an AM3 set up of the same cost. For less money you can get an Athlon II X2, or for about the same cost you can get an Athlon II X3/X4 that will destroy any Pentium Dual core in a majority of tasks. Than on the AM3 system you'll have integrated graphics several times more powerful. Than if you ever plan to upgrade to something more powerful, the Phenom II X4 is a much better buy price/performance than any Core2Quad right now, and AM3 also has the Phenom II X6 and possible Bulldozer support for 8+ core processors.

With socket 775, you spend more to get less just because you refuse to use AMD, and when you want something better you'll need a new motherboard/cpu/ram.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 12:28:22 AM

I think the answer to this depends on your definition of the word dead. A few chips here and there might be coming out. But no new development is happening. You might be able to find new parts for it as well. But that doesn't mean its a smart buy. If you want to go by rumors, Intel is bringing out two new sockets next year, including one called 2011.

I believe its dead. No new development, no "real" new parts, its lost the attention of Intel. Their current chipsets are 1366 and 1156. S775 was good for its time, but like AMDs S939 its time is over.

To argue that you should use it for budget builds is a bit dumb as well. AM3 can be just as good as S775, and you can still upgrade those. Switch to AMD if you need to. For any build you do with S775, I'm sure I can build one as good with AM2+ or AM3. And that will support DDR3, hex core CPUs, etc.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 12:38:05 AM

4745454b said:
I think the answer to this depends on your definition of the word dead. A few chips here and there might be coming out. But no new development is happening. You might be able to find new parts for it as well. But that doesn't mean its a smart buy. If you want to go by rumors, Intel is bringing out two new sockets next year, including one called 2011.

I believe its dead. No new development, no "real" new parts, its lost the attention of Intel. Their current chipsets are 1366 and 1156. S775 was good for its time, but like AMDs S939 its time is over.

To argue that you should use it for budget builds is a bit dumb as well. AM3 can be just as good as S775, and you can still upgrade those. Switch to AMD if you need to. For any build you do with S775, I'm sure I can build one as good with AM2+ or AM3. And that will support DDR3, hex core CPUs, etc.

not only that, but cpus like the 440 and 635 beat everything in the 775 line up near their price range.
a c 81 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 1:18:53 AM

The equation is simple.. Anyone looking for a new build should simply just ignore the LGA 775.. For existing users though, their is no such compelling need to jump to a new platform..
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 3:25:27 AM

Yeah. I forgot to mention that if you say dead is users < x% total users then S775 is far from dead. Existing users also probably feel new need for upgrading, more so if they are gamers. I have an X38 board with an E6600. If I wanted to upgrade, I'd probably just grab a quad. (or OC my E6600 up to 8400 speeds, should be pretty simple.) I have no compelling need to grab a 1055T or a i5 750. What I have is fine for gaming at 1680x1050.

I also don't mean to say that it can't be used as a cheap gaming build. Its just a better idea to use an AMD setup.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 5:00:24 AM

IMO, 775 is entirely dead. for any decent upgrade, you need to spend atleast $200+ to get one of the quads. considering that, and considering and amd 955 is 150$, and i5 750 is 200$, it is an entire waste of money. pouring 200$ into a 775 system, which will have no upgrade path after that upgrade, is a waste. id just buy an am3 955, the mobo and ram to go with it, and then actually have an upgrade path. 775 offers no benefits to users building a new system, therefore, IMO, whether upgrading or buying new, 775 is dead.
July 7, 2010 6:24:17 AM

Don't base your case on the industrial world ,here in the third world it is what 90% of people buy since it is cheap . the i-core is still expensive but that I think will change in next couple of months
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 6:43:48 AM

What if I only have $200 to spend Ares? My x38 board can handle any S775 chip out there. I'll need to move to a quad at some point, your saying I shouldn't get a quad 775 chip? I'm starting to see the Q6600 go for $120ish on the used forums, and the q9xxx is $150ish. If I ever get the $$$, you can bet I'll get one. Makes no sense to me to dump a good board and ram for an AM3 setup. I'll have to spend way to much to get basically the same performance.

As for eqbal, thanks for the reminder? I think it was a guy from Pakistan on here not to far back who said his choice for his computer was Intel, and he could only buy motherboards from Asus or Gigabyte. I think he said he had three companies to chose from for his video card. And don't even get me started on the state of PSUs in India. (seriously, Zebronics?) The OP even listed a UK site so he's probably not in the USA either. This pretty much obviously means the "industrial" world as we can't speak for 100% of the earth.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 8:44:43 AM

I see alot of people think its dead, I honestly think for low end its still good and up there.

I've just ran Sisoft Sandra on my system (E6700 Pentium) and comparing it to the equivelent AMD (The Athlon II 260), the Pentium scores better in Arithmatic and Multimedia benchmarks on it! The differences aren't slight either.

And yes I am in the UK, which with prices at the moment with the pound being fairly weak, we get a bad deal. Consider this the above AMD costs £68 and the Pentium £74.

Like 47454 above said, I had DDR2 lying about and rather than buying more DDR3 and wasting money I decided to stay on Socket 775. This Pentium really is quite rapid for the price! And I consider the platform less than dead really.
For one Intel 'released' 3 'new' Processors for the low end in 2010 (E5500, E6600 and E6700 Pentiums). Non will be EOL'd till atleast 2011.

Also my P43 Gigabyte board is fairly mid-top end, with 6 SATA ports, supporting up to 16Gb of DDR2! And if I need more speed (unlikely with this E6700 for what I do) I can slot in a C2Q as there still for sale in abundance here.

With the AMD side of the equasion if I were to build a new system, I be spending more on the board atleast £15 more for a very basic board. £10-15 more for DDR3 than DDR2. And then to factor in the CPU which has lower performance from my testing would be £6 cheaper. So in the end I'd be spending more for less performance!

Also not everyone needs major upgrade paths, hell I came from a Socket A AMD just recently. It was built 6 years ago. This PC now I've just built will last me maybe another 3-4 years. By that time we'll probably be on DDR4 and Socket 9000 or something!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 9:57:36 AM

Yes, if you have existing parts, 775 is still fully functional, but new builds.. its dead in the water!!!!
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 11:38:45 AM

Quote:
I see alot of people think its dead, I honestly think for low end its still good...

Why can't it be dead and powerful? If my needs are light enough, surfing and watching youtube, a P4 @ 2.4GHz with 2GBs of ram on the S478 wouldn't be dead. As I said in my first post it depends on how you define dead. From a performance point of view its not dead. I've seen benchmarks where the Q9650 is more or less equal with the i5 750. Powerful != dead.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 11:43:31 AM

I have a Socket 775 system. My next build will be AM3. I already accept the fact there is no more support for Socket 775. Not going to drop $150 on a CPU for this system when I can get an Athlon X2, RAM, and a decent mobo for the same price.
a c 172 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 11:50:02 AM

I have three perfectly serviceable LGA775 systems. But I wouldn't build another one for myself.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 11:52:35 AM

People, theres a difference between lacking a clear upgrade path, and needing an upgrade.

Yes, for any new system, there is NO POINT WHATSOEVER to LGA 775. For existing systems, there is also little point in upgrading FROM LGA 775. Lets face it, for 90% of us, a Q9550 is plenty for everything we want to do.

Throw in the uncertainty about Intels backward compatability with its new socket next year, and I for one really recommend holding what you have unless you need a major upgrade to begin with.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 12:18:04 PM

4745454b said:
What if I only have $200 to spend Ares? My x38 board can handle any S775 chip out there. I'll need to move to a quad at some point, your saying I shouldn't get a quad 775 chip? I'm starting to see the Q6600 go for $120ish on the used forums, and the q9xxx is $150ish. If I ever get the $$$, you can bet I'll get one. Makes no sense to me to dump a good board and ram for an AM3 setup. I'll have to spend way to much to get basically the same performance.

As for eqbal, thanks for the reminder? I think it was a guy from Pakistan on here not to far back who said his choice for his computer was Intel, and he could only buy motherboards from Asus or Gigabyte. I think he said he had three companies to chose from for his video card. And don't even get me started on the state of PSUs in India. (seriously, Zebronics?) The OP even listed a UK site so he's probably not in the USA either. This pretty much obviously means the "industrial" world as we can't speak for 100% of the earth.

if you only have 200$ to spend, then id still recommend against it. yes, you will likely be getting a pretty good performing cpu, but what will you do after this? nothing left, so you have to go to something else. by skipping buying the 775, you would save the amount that you payed for the cpu, so 150-200$. yes, you would have to buy a new mobo, maybe new ram, but if you have to do that a bit later anyway, why waste the money now? just my opinion, but if you have ddr2 memory, its a bit more understandable.
a c 81 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 1:53:35 PM

ares1214 said:
if you only have 200$ to spend, then id still recommend against it. yes, you will likely be getting a pretty good performing cpu, but what will you do after this? nothing left, so you have to go to something else. by skipping buying the 775, you would save the amount that you payed for the cpu, so 150-200$. yes, you would have to buy a new mobo, maybe new ram, but if you have to do that a bit later anyway, why waste the money now? just my opinion, but if you have ddr2 memory, its a bit more understandable.

Are you suggesting DDR2 memory as a bottleneck.?? I don't feel so.. Gaming doesn't seems to be taking any major advantages of the higher bandwidth on offer by DDR3.. Then you factor in the high CAS timings.. Speaking on the 775 platform, one look at the gaming CPU hierarchy chart will take away many disbelief's.. So for existing users, there is no compelling reason to switch platform unless of course your motherboard does not support the 45nm CPU's..
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 2:26:46 PM

no, thats not what i was suggesting. i was suggesting that if you have a 775 board that uses ddr2, when you upgrade you would have to switch to ddr3, costing more money. so if you use ddr2 775 system, keep it or get a better 775. ddr3, upgrade to am3 or 1156.
a c 81 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 2:32:03 PM

^valid point but its almost a static option in the sense that newer sockets operate with DDR3 memory only.. Its not like one has a option to upgrade to newer motherboards while keeping their existing DDR2 modules..
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 2:44:58 PM

you can keep the DDR2 if you switch to AM2+ board that supports all of the Phenom II's (my board and my friends support all of them, including the 6 cores), and keep your DDR2 memory
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 3:17:34 PM

you can, but then you also lose support for ddr3.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 3:23:14 PM

ares1214 said:
you can, but then you also lose support for ddr3.

that really doesn't matter all that much really, unless you want Bulldozer (which might even have DDR2 support as well, we just don't know), and at the same hand you can keep the RAM from a LGA775 build. Though i wouldn't recommend this for a new build, just new Motherboard/CPU
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 3:53:22 PM

Again, buying a new PC, I can't recommend 775. If you have an existing one, the best price/performance option is probably a Q9550. Its really hard to justify an i5/i7 for gaming purposes for most people, so barring audio encoding, a C2Q is still plenty.

Throw in the LGA 2011 for Sandy Bridge [and the non-guarentee of compatability with i5/i7], and my recommendation is as follows:
Existing LGA 775 system: Upgrade to Q9550 and wait a few years
New system: Go AM3
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 5:59:46 PM

+1 to that. new people, dont even think of 775. people with ddr2 ram and 775, depending on your situation, keep 775. people with ddr3 and 775, upgrade to am3/1156. new builders, am3 in most cases.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 12:41:34 PM

@gamer

I was 775, looked at q9550 upgrade, but went 1055t am3 asus 890fx ddr3 instead, and wont look back now!

Would have wasted money on q9550, but I stress my pc hard!
!