My PC Makes A Clicking Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

joker1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
It's an extremely quiet clicking noise so while the usual answer is HDD failure I don't think that's the case. My HDD is only 3 months old and when my last one failed the clicking was way louder than this, this is quieter than my cpu fan and I can barely hear it. Anyone know why this could be?

Solution
Drives can and do make noises, download and run the manufacturers fitness test and adjust acoustic levels if pos.

That could be your problem, I have had aspect, resolution problems running via adapters, soon as I went DVI to DVI it solved the problem with the same card and setup.

joker1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
No noticeable problems except the usual monitor problems. I will be replacing the monitor it's kind of getting ridiculous. Task manager is showing the usual 0-1% CPU usage and 1.5GB RAM usage.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Then tell us the problem with your monitor..
So your saying that task manager just shows you 0-1% cpu usage..I really dont think its a problem unless you are stress testing the cpu and it shows of you only having 0-1% usage then i think you may have a problem..

joker1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
It just sets the resolution wrong quite a bit. The monitor will be on a different resolution than I set it too and things will get cut off on the sides/top. I think it's either because I don't know the native reso of this monitor so I'm using the best one I could find or it's the ATI drivers for the 6870 being new and kind of bad. I am not stress testing it I'm just at desktop and running chrome on one website. Stress testing the usage goes up to 40-50%.

joker1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I'm using an adapter and the clicking comes from the HDD. I'm not convinced it's dying though because when my other one died it was hella loud and this clicking is really quiet and not even constant it's only about 50% of the time.

Drives can and do make noises, download and run the manufacturers fitness test and adjust acoustic levels if pos.

That could be your problem, I have had aspect, resolution problems running via adapters, soon as I went DVI to DVI it solved the problem with the same card and setup.

Solution

joker1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I have a SeaGate HDD. I downloaded SeaTools and ran a Generic Scan and Self Test. The result for both was 'Pass'. It provided no information besides that. What does this mean?

If you want to be absolutly certain run the long disk self test, this will take awhile but if it passes you are golden, it could just be noises from the HDD head seeking.

As for your monitor as beanoslim asked are you using a DVI-VGA adapter? that can sometimes cause problems. What type of cable are you using VGA,DVI, or HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.